Miasma - Changes

Nov 23, 2002
Hellish and enormous 95%

A huge beast lurks among the shadows of an ancient temple, yearning for blood and destruction. Its minions stand in a circle, surrounding a flame of pestilence. One by one, they sacrifice themselves, sacrifice their blood for their master. The monstrosity emerges, and its true, gargantuan size is made known, yet it is still only shadow. All cower in fear. It will devastate all in its path. It won't stop until the last spot of life is bloodily slaughtered upon its horns. This is "Changes" by Miasma.

It's very rare that the drum-production on a brutal death metal album is, well, thin, and not at all powerful. Then again, I suppose it defeats the genre's usual aims - be as heavy, unsubtle and meaningless as an elephant headbutting a tree. This is the first of many indications that Miasma have bags more sophistication than that though; indeed, I imagine they hate stuttery belching bands almost as much as I do. So yes, what we have here is drums that are rather tinny. Sure, they're perhaps a little bit too tinny at times, I empathise with those who think so, but this simply isn't the kind of album that wants or needs good drum production. This is all about atmosphere, this is all about mightyness in composition, not in aesthetic.

One slow, chugging, doomy passage after another is laid down between bursts of frantic drumming and riffs that lick fire across the mind, all accompanied by low and demonic vocals. Want to be a death metal vocalist? Listen to this guy. The blood of occult ritual oozes from the unstable-sounding Swedish-styled melodies, which are balefulness incarnate. The ideas "collapse upon one another seemlessly", like the previous reviewer stated, inside narrative frameworks that tend to start off ominous and then build into malevolence, providing me with a strong portrayal of the concept I wrote in the first paragraph. Ever wondered what Therion would've been like in their early days if they'd conjured up their music in hell itself? So have Miasma.

There's the odd nasty bit of organ work (wtf is the intro to Schizophrenia supposed to be? Please Miasma, don't ever try to Gospelise Beethoven's 5th again, particularly not as an intro to the best song on your album), though its generally tastefully integrated into the music. There's the odd bit of acoustic guitar to be found as well, but there's certainly no problems with that. The tinny drum-production I mentioned seems to annoy some people. These are the only faults.

Disregarding these imperfections which, frankly, are hardly worth mentioning, this is complex and dark death metal that's conceptually excellent and that possesses atmosphere in abundance. It can stand among virtually any genius death metal albums you could care to name, without feeling out of place. If you like "Beyond Sanctorum" and you like "Slumber of Sullen Eyes", you'll like this, so go get it.

[note: I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell me where on the net I can find the lyrics]

Very nice review! I love this album. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that this is my favorite death metal album. It epitomizes what death metal should be. It's brutal, atmospheric, and fucking beautiful all in one package, and it never comes off as pretentious. The vocals are as you stated, excellent. I haven't heard very many vocalists go that deep, and still enunciate well at all. I mean seriously, they're so deep that they shake the speakers in my car. I really wish I could find the real album instead of the mp3's though, and of course lyrics would be nice. It's a shame to think there were bands of this caliber that never made it.

no offense, but after: "A huge beast lurks among the shadows of an ancient temple, yearning for blood and destruction. Its minions stand in a circle, surrounding a flame of pestilence." i lost interest

why do reviewers try to write some extravagant story while describing an album? it doesnt help.

anyways. i forgot why i initially clicked on this topic. which miasma is this? the one from milwaukee or europe?

It helps a thousand times more than "this album has motherfuckin' AWESOME riffs, it's like BANG BANG BANG through your skull, fuck I love this album it's so dark it makes me want to kill my grandparents, THESE GUYS RULE." It's a verbal representation of the image that album sends through me, I find it difficult to describe the atmosphere of the album without writing such things.

They're Austrian.

It's my own mental interpretation, it's not terrible or great, simply correct.

And I know it doesn't, but I figured people would put 2+2 together.

About the lyrics: cheers.

Ockham said:
Dualist that he was, believed in both:
a God above created all, but doesn't fear,
a god below, the malaria. Believe in both.

Therefore [denial?] of Jesus Christ,
No son of god, mortal invention.

Baphomet!
I show you the crucifix and tell you
Not to believe. Spit, deny Jesus Christ for
It's not true.
Baphomet, the one we hail.

Jacques de Molay, last master of Templars,
On lithe(?) flames his body reeks.
Flame agonized as [?] flesh died
and he prayed to Baphomet:

"I shall overcome this mindless society!
My executioners, they won't see another year!

Some months passed, mysterious
Circumstances, king and pope,
Both were hanged in their blood
Coincidence or Baphomet?

Or what i make out of the words in the booklet.

Ockham said:
Alrighty, lyrics to the first track (stuff in brackets with question marks I'm not sure of, all the lyrics are scribbled and barely legible).

Baphomet

Dualist that he was, believed in both:
a God above created all, but doesn't fear,
a god below, the [material?]. Believe in both.

Therefore [denial?] of Jesus Christ,
[?] son of god, mortal invention.

Baphomet!
I show you the crucifix and tell you
Not to believe. Spit, deny Jesus Christ for
It's not true.
Baphomet, the one we hail.

Jacques de Molay, last master of Templars,
On [?] flames his body reeks.
Flame agonized as [?] flesh died
and he prayed to Baphomet:

"I shall overcome this mindless society!
[ally?] executioners, they won't see another year!

Some months passed, mysterious
Circumstances, king and pope,
Both were hanged in their blood
Coincidence or Baphomet?

You got about as far as I did. Whenever I listened to the album I'd try, largely in vain, to decipher the chicken scratch in the booklet. It's "my executioners..." I'll take another look tomorrow, as it's been awhile. I'll try my hand at some of the other songs as well.

Would it have been that hard to type the lyrics up? Another shitty booklet is the one for "In Pains" by Cadaver. The font blends right into the background.

Good review for a fucking great album. When I first listened to this I didn't think much of it, but I forced myself to knowing that it would grow on me and it has. The atmosphere of this album is amazing along with such brutal and cohesive songwriting.

I bought the cd "Changes + Love Songs" because i was searching for Death Metal and this Review sounded like a recommendation.
I cannot comment on originality and innovation because i don't know more than 6 or so death metal CDs but i think it is very good:
-It is "heavy"
-It has atmosphere (which much DM seems to lack, why i dislike the genre)
-It does not seem dumb or like something that gets boring very fast

Freanan said:
-It has atmosphere (which much DM seems to lack, why i dislike the genre)

Ahh, you've just been hearing the wrong stuff. I listen to DM FOR the atmosphere.

Try the following classics for starters:
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum

Guardian of Darkness said:
Ahh, you've just been hearing the wrong stuff. I listen to DM FOR the atmosphere.

Try the following classics for starters:
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Thanks for your suggestions - two of the listed Bands are already on my wishlist.