Votes: 6 40.0%
  • C

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
just got my 201...don't wanna tell you already what I like and dislike about it cause that would change the result of the poll, but overall I think it's a pretty cool Mic.

I did a shootout on snare (top but like 10cm from the rim of the snare to avoid too much proximity effect) and on distorted guits (only the 57 and 201).

here's the snare shootout for now (guits will be following later today)

Mics Snare

EDIT: typo in the title, of course it's the m201

A's highs sound like a bad mp3 compared to the other, is it the m210?
B sounds fullest and most crisp so I'm guessing 184
Is C the 57?

I don´t have any experience with the 201 but here´s my guessing:

A = 184
B = 201
C = 57

A sounds thinest of all so I guess that must be a SDC
B sounds fullest of all so I guess that must be a ribbon
C sounds most focused , and most like a snare usually sounds when I record it so I guess that´s the 57 then

edit: for some reason I assumed the 201 was a ribbon, just found out it´s dynamic, I´m still sticking to my guesses though

cool to see what you guys think...especially because noone has more than one of the three right...and it's always a different one you guessed right, so I guess it's really not easy ;)

k, the math heads among you will be able to deduce the correct order now ;)

a sounds really tight, but not much bottom end.
b has more bottom end than a, but less focused and kind of boomy
c sounds close to a but slightly more bottom end and high end airyness

my guess:
A:m201
B:sm57
C:km184

a is my favorite, seems like it would need the least processing to fit well in a mix. b would need the most imo.

So this is the mic that flawed the guitar cab tone test & this snare test? Damn this is the first time ive ever heard of this mic but it seems to kick ass for the price!

So this is the mic that flawed the guitar cab tone test & this snare test? Damn this is the first time ive ever heard of this mic but it seems to kick ass for the price!

yeah, it certainly does kick ass.
not tried it yet but I'd bet my nuts that it'll be killer on Hats (I'm usually using sm7 there),toms , chinas and room also........as well as acoustic guitars.
I'll definitely be buying 3 more of them as soon as I got the dough

I know this isnt the right thread but any chance of a 201 + 57 blend on guitars?

just did that today and it sounded killer...not in the studio atm though, so I can't upload it.
but take the samples from the other thread and blend them...they might not be 100% in phase, but it should be pretty close and it'll give you the idea of how they'd sound mixed.

Since my interface died I unfortunately can't listen on anything more than lappy speakers and thus won't even bother, but I'm surprised to hear you say you prefer the 201 over the 421 when paired with a 57! How come?

i got every one wrong, and my favorite one was the sm57 :rolleyes:

i guess i'm going to have to start working on my micing skills more since i never seem too happy with the way my snare tracks turn out and my default mic is the sm57.