MIDI-to-CV converters? (waaay off topic...)

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
Yeah yeah yeah I know this is a dumb place to ask. But hey.... genius can be found anywhere, anytime... even in this crazy place! :loco:

Any of youz tech-junkie guyz know anything about MIDI-to-CV converters? Kevin (my lead guitarist) is looking to rack-mount his wah pedal. It's a Digitech XP100 whammy wah. He wants to get it off the ground an in his rack, and then use is midi foot controller (Behringer FCB1010 with two expression pedals... whassup Jason!) to control the wah. We'd put the XP100 wah in the FX loop of his rack-mounted effects unit (a Rocktron Xpression - excellent sounds, simple as hell, completely affordable... recommended!) and modify the pedal. We'd send a midi signal from the FCB1010's expression pedal to the MIDI-to-CV converter. The converter then sends a variable voltage to the potentiometer inside the housing of the XP100's pedal, and it'll tell the brains to give it the sweeping effect created by the wah setting. Here at work, we can get our hands on industrial grade electronics stuff, but it'll take a while to find the right component. Phil says they make little microcomputers that just convert serial-to-CV, so maybe we'll get a midi-to-serial-to-CV thing kickin in there. Then mount it all to a rack shelf and shield the hell outta it, and bam... affordable rack-mounted midi-controllable wah! Better than dumping $500+ on Dunlop's rack-mounted stuff.

The only problem I see, is that the wah would always be ON when accessing the Xpression's FX loop. May be a bad idea if he ever adds stuff to that loop. So... mebbe we can also send a signal to the XP100 to change from bypass to wah. Not sure what kind of signal we'd need for that part.

I'm pretty confident it can be done. But after a quick Google inspection, nothing pops up as an easy purchase all-in-one device for this purpose. Maybe check more keyboards stuff?

Whatchu guyz think?

Rack-mounted-Wah-Experiment.JPG