Mike and Ipods

Well, I downloaded from the internet (for free) a PT album that I love, had color photocopies of the artwork and right now I'm at the beach, Listening to it on my lossy walkman MP3, enjoying every single moment of their wanky ballads and fully appreciating it.

eat that, Steven..

:headbang:
You will no doubt burn in Hell.

... In terms of the moral issue of downloading, don't blame iPods or MP3 players, blame the people who download/share files and think music should be free. .

... I'm against free downloading, but I own an iPod. Go figure!

...I don't even like legal downloads, as I much prefer to have a tangible product, which includes the artwork, lyrics etc..

...and one guy said that it was his human right to download everything for free. Can you believe that shit?!

Well, That's a delicate issue. I think it prolly could be a real arasmish hot-thread.

Some people claim they have the right to download music cause they're paying a considerable sum of money to their ISP's, that provide high download rates for what...let's say...Picture sharing?...Fast access to facebook?...E-mail service?....yeah, my balls....

According to this, I wonder why the ISP's having acquaintance of the piracy, just don't absorb the cost of legal downloading and make it free for their customers....

I have my favorite albums on CD's, just as Steven. I also have them Ripped, and I have downloaded for free the ones I lost when I lent them (sucker). Unfortunately, I can not prove I actually bought them.

Some people claim they have the right to download music cause they're paying a considerable sum of money to their ISP's,
That's the problem. People think they have a right to free music, so will come up with all sorts of justifications, like the one above, for why it's OK to download. The retardation of these people never ceases to amaze me.

I download because music is too fucking expensive otherwise. Illegal? Yes. But I wouldn't have heard a lot of great music otherwise so fuck it. I still buy when I feel it's reasonable but sometimes I like a little money reserve for food and shit.

I download because music is too fucking expensive otherwise. Illegal? Yes. But I wouldn't have heard a lot of great music otherwise so fuck it. I still buy when I feel it's reasonable but sometimes I like a little money reserve for food and shit.

yea same.

i try to slowly buy all of my fav cds, but its not rly to pay respect to the artist but more to make myself happy + I like collecting tbh.

Yea, I bought all of Opeth's CDs and Tool's CDs and shit but if I wanna check out a few bands I don't love quite yet, fuck spending money in this economy.

I don't see why people care. At all. Some people just want to listen to their favorite songs, and don't feel the need to listen to the "filler" which is the rest of the album. I mean, I'm sure that even 30 years ago quite a few people were bummed that they couldn't take their turntable with them and only play their favorite songs.

It's all about demand and supply - and apparently there is a huge demand for protable music, not necessarily in album format, and not necessarily in high quality audio formats. The fact is that that is what the majority prefer. For a lot of people, it's either that or no music at all.

Finally, a lot of people (me included) can't tell the difference between the million different formats, cd's and vinyls. So... who cares?!

Well you forgot the quality issue I think. Even though you can get lossless audio its still bad really. Think of it like this:

Live>Vinyl>CD>Ipod. I don't think even with lossless your getting the same as the CD. Even if I'm wrong here your still going to be listening on shitty ipod earphones which (I will repeat) are shit.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Please, if you don't understand the topic at hand, don't comment. When you rip a CD lossless, no matter what format, you get a 1:1 rip of that CD, bit by bit. If you compared the raw .wav files from the CD and the lossless file, there would be no difference. I spent $30 on Sennheiser CX400 IEMs for my iPhone, and it was the best purchase i've ever made. I have Senn HD555 ($120 when I got them) headphones for listening at home, and I can barely tell the difference between them and the tiny headphones for my phone.

nat0 said:
Thanks for the advice on the lossless audio on ipods - I'm going to install some software on my ipod for it. I agree with Steven however that no one will get the same experience of buying an album, especially vinyl, sitting down on your couch and listening on your stereo from start to finish while looking at the artwork and lyrics. Its something to do with our generation that we don't understand but I'm trying to get over. We always seem to do everything in a rush and on the go - which is why the ipod sells so well. But when your using your ipod theres plenty of distractions because your usually in a public place, I also doubt many people would use lossless audio on their ipod because it requires greater HD space. It also encourages the 'shuffle' feature, its become a fashion and a trend and the 'ipod' is a shark in the industry of mp3 players. I'm neutral on the issue and if its great that you enjoy your ipod in the holidays why do you want me to comment on that? Are you guilty?

If you're an avid music fan, buying a 120gb iPod to fit your lossless CD/Vinyl collection on to your iPod, you would have no problem shelling out the money for it, and have more than enough space for a large collection.

Again, it comes down to how YOU listen to YOUR music. I'm 19, I started collecting vinyls when I was 16, and have a pretty big collection by now. Just because 'my generation' supposedly doesn't get to experience albums anymore doesn't mean I have to conform to that. I love music, and I'm an audiophile, so buying all of my music on vinyl was a decision I came to very early in to my musical life. I've had nearly every generation of iPod too. From the first one made, to the 32gb iPhone I have now. I rip all of my CDs and vinyls lossless and have them on my iPhone for whenever I'm not at home. I still listen to full albums and I never use shuffle. So again, generalizing that an entire generation listens to music one way is ridiculous.

I will agree with Mike that vinyl is the best way to experience music. When I spun my first vinyl on my first deck, it was the best music listening experience i've ever had. Now every time I get a new vinyl, even of a record i've heard hundreds of times before either on CD or on my computer, it feels new and fresh to me. But, it isn't the only way to experience music, which is where this whole argument seems to be coming from.

Ah yes, the old "it's too expensive" excuse. Well you know what? Tough titties. There are many things in the world I can't afford, but I don't go out and steal them. I'd buy double the amount of CDs if I could afford it, but my wife just gave birth to a kid, so I guess I'll have to go without, or maybe I won't buy that new shirt. I won't be downloading those extra CDs I want, as I'd rather make sure that the artist gets some of my cash when I do get round to buying their album.

Anyway, is music really that expensive? You can download a full album on iTunes for £7.99 or less, or if you're like the guy who posted after you and resent paying for filler, then you can buy all your favourite songs for 79p each. Is 79p really too much for a song that could entertain you for many years to come? Honestly? Sorry, I don't believe you.

I think downloading music is a great thing. I wouldn't have been able to find and listen to half the bands that I have if it weren't for downloading. Any time I find an album I love, I will go out and buy it on vinyl, straight from the label whenever I can so the artist gets the most out of my purchase. If I had purchased all of the music in my digital library, I would have to be rich, and not to mention, I would have bought tons of bad albums.

Downloading music helps every one. If an artist puts out a bad album, it won't sell, as opposed to before, when an artist can put out a single, get it played on the radio, and have swarms of people run out to buy the album only to find out that the single is the only good song on the album. If you put out a good product, people will buy it, the same goes for almost every thing in life. Movies are the same way. You're not going to buy the DVD of the shitty movie you saw in the theaters, but you would more than willingly spend $30 on the deluxe edition blu-ray of The Dark Knight.

Music is expensive. Its not a necessity. You're buying it because you want to, not because you have to. Sometimes I would rather hold off on getting the bands latest record and downloading it, just to be able to afford the tickets to the tour they will be having in support for the album, either way, a good band will get my money.

Its been proven in countless statistics that downloading music helps music sales, and if you think it about, its not hard to see why.

Just wanted to chime in here: there is no audible difference playing a 320kbps CBR mp3 vs. a lossless file on an ipod.

Blind tests have also been done which have shown that 99% of (tested) people cannot tell any difference between 320 and lossless on top-dollar audio equipment.

Thanks for playing, please come again.

Its been proven in countless statistics that downloading music helps music sales, and if you think it about, its not hard to see why.

Bullshit. Cd's are at all time lows and record stores all over the world are closing (Virgin, Tower Records).

And to the dude who says it's cheap to download songs/albums - not every country has access to those sites where you can legaly download.

It helps music sales, it doesn't bring them back from the dead. And its not necessarily CDs, vinyl is rising up in sales and digital downloading sales are high.

I think downloading music is a great thing. I wouldn't have been able to find and listen to half the bands that I have if it weren't for downloading. Any time I find an album I love, I will go out and buy it on vinyl, straight from the label whenever I can so the artist gets the most out of my purchase. If I had purchased all of the music in my digital library, I would have to be rich, and not to mention, I would have bought tons of bad albums.

Downloading music helps every one. If an artist puts out a bad album, it won't sell, as opposed to before, when an artist can put out a single, get it played on the radio, and have swarms of people run out to buy the album only to find out that the single is the only good song on the album. If you put out a good product, people will buy it, the same goes for almost every thing in life. Movies are the same way. You're not going to buy the DVD of the shitty movie you saw in the theaters, but you would more than willingly spend $30 on the deluxe edition blu-ray of The Dark Knight.

Music is expensive. Its not a necessity. You're buying it because you want to, not because you have to. Sometimes I would rather hold off on getting the bands latest record and downloading it, just to be able to afford the tickets to the tour they will be having in support for the album, either way, a good band will get my money.

good thoughts prophet!

So me having an iPod with all my favorite music (full discographies of all my favorite bands including Opeth) so I dont have to carry around 1000 cds is a BAD thing?

Like many people who download illegally, you appear to have blinkers on and are making all the usual poor justifications for downloading.

Downloading helps everyone? Are you sure? Does it help all the independent record shops that are closing down one by one?

You claim that if a band puts out a good album, then people will buy it. That doesn't seem to be the case. Many people nowadays have thousands of albums on their hard drive, and haven't given a single penny to the artist. I know such people personally.

What has music not being a necessity got to do with anything? Does that make stealing OK? I didn't need that double chocolate fudgecake I ate last night, but I didn't steal it from the shop.

The argument that you'll simply buy tickets to see the band on tour instead of buying their album is also a poor excuse. The traditional purpose of touring was so a band could promote their product and get people to buy their music. Unfortunately, unless you're Metallica or U2, then touring doesn't make a band much money in itself. Have you noticed how bands sell way more merchandise at gigs than they used to? Besides, call me old fashioned, but I remember when people purchased a band's album AND went to see them on tour.

Which statistics are you referring to? Do you have a link to these statistics?

Put simply, musicians want to be paid like anyone else. Would you accept not being paid for doing your job? The shift from physical formats such as CDs to digital downloads would be fine if everybody actually paid for legal downloads. I think you know that there are huge numbers of people out there who don't pay a penny. Afterall, it's very easy to get music for free, so why pay for it? Well, many don't. If you think that doesn't affect the artists in any way, you're very much mistaken.

I don't own an mp3 player myself, and really don't want one. I don't have a problem with mp3, and mp3 players themselves however, but the entire download culture is something I absolutely despise, and I will never understand how all of them can have absolutely no problem with stealing. I guess it just goes to show the only thing keeping people from doing wrong is the threat of consequences.

As for the other debate, I personally prefer CD, DVD-A, and PCM formats in general over vinyl, as the digital world is much more accurate to the actual recording, and I prefer that accuracy. I am not saying vinyl is at all bad, just saying simply that it adds a lot of coloration to the material, which many may like, but I personally do not.

I only illegally download Metallica albums, because they are assholes.

Other than that, I pay for all the music I download. I usually use Amazon or eMusic.

Although, I once downloaded Blackwater Park for free off of Kazaa back in 2002 just to check them out. Shortly after, I went out and bought their entire catalog, a couple T-shirts, and have attended multiple concerts since then. I will continue to purchase everything they release, because I think they deserve all the money they earn. So sometimes free downloads does help a band I guess.