Mix and guitar tone opinions needed!

plisken

Metal Keyboardist
Apr 23, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions about this mix. Also what you all think about the guitar tone.

Now there is no bass recorded yet, i know i know >.> but soon there will be. I just wanna get some comment even though there is no bass guitar.

On a side note, I dont know why the Toms sound like shit. I spent like a day trying to get them to sound good....

Last edited by a moderator:
The kick is about the only thing that doesn't sound bad. The snare sounds very thin and fake, as do the rest of the drums. The guitar playing could be tighter too and panned a bit wider. Everything sounds too centered right now. The guitar tone needs some more gain as well. Adding bass will go a long way as this sounds very thin. You can't really ask for a mix critique without it being a complete mix. The guitar and bass compliment each other and might help round out the mix a bit more and fill in the empty frequencies. You could always just record a dry/di guitar signal on one string and pitch shift it down one octave for bass... it's ghetto style, but I've done it in the past.

The kick is about the only thing that doesn't sound bad. The snare sounds very thin and fake, as do the rest of the drums. The guitar playing could be tighter too and panned a bit wider. Everything sounds too centered right now. The guitar tone needs some more gain as well. Adding bass will go a long way as this sounds very thin. You can't really ask for a mix critique without it being a complete mix. The guitar and bass compliment each other and might help round out the mix a bit more and fill in the empty frequencies. You could always just record a dry/di guitar signal on one string and pitch shift it down one octave for bass... it's ghetto style, but I've done it in the past.

+1 to all of this

ok guys! Thank you for the feedback. I really do appreciate it! I will work on everything you mention. Im not good at programmed drums >.< thats why the drums dont sound great. The Kick sounding good was sort of a fluke.

I will post on here again once I have an updated sample.