Mixing and audio production

Belac

Flesh To Steel
Feb 28, 2007
Windsor, Canada
I've been having some trouble learning how to get shit to sound good. Since I noticed a few people here have some knowledge on this shit, I was wondering if you guys know of any especially useful plugins or VSTi's. I've especially noticed vocals can be really hard to implement into a song. I currently use Cubase for doing this shit which is a pretty nice program. Any pointers on mixing death vocals or anything?

Thanks for the link Flal. I'll check it out. Already seeing tons of threads I might read into.

BlackestEyes:
The recording quality is actually alright, I've just not had much luck getting everything to sound like it belongs there. Maybe it's because I've heard everything separately and it sticks out different to my ears who knows. Haha. I just wish I had a better idea of what types of tools are used to get a good mix.

Delta you are an ass

use the following in this order, because that's how you do it in a studio

a bit of noise gate if needed, graphic dynamics (compressor), Paragraphic Equalizer (or whatever suits you), and finally reverb or either some kind of a delay, I use multi-tap delay

there's more stuff but so far I've been working with this and it's fine, sounds closer to a studio recording

one more time, you are an Ass :)

Well if your recorded tracks sound good then you just have to experiment with different plugins and things you like. I feel the same way you do, I think. I get something neat down and then I can't make it sound really good. It is frustrating but you just have to keep playing with stuff. Are you using Cubase 4?

You apply reverb to your track that you are mastering? I've never heard of that. o_o

Are you using Cubase 4?

Nope, Cubase 3. I can't afford to upgrade to 4 at the moment. I keep hearing about Reaper, which I'd never heard of until I went to the Andy Sneaps forum. :S. Guess I'll look at it tonight. Finally getting some time to record and do shit for the first time in a long time so I'll try it out tonight.