Mixing Pratice Heavy/Alternative Rock - The Black Crown - Flames

had a few hours today to try this. nice song. didn't reamp or add any samples to what was included.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz6a73bn5mwdtty/Mix.02.mp3?dl=0

just some thoughts about the arrangement that could be cool to think about:

the additional things TRUIE added to the arrangement are things that could be worth thinking about next time round - the arrangement is a little flat between sections, so varying up different guitar techniques/chord positions, varying up instrumentation, adding keys, different guitar sounds, vocal harmonies/backing, drum loops, percussion etc will all help the song flow with more excitement/tension. the drums felt very busy throughout the song - there's some cool beats in there but often I found them to disrupt the song rather than enhance it. I think there'd be scope to even shorten some sections down.

Pretty decent recording/performance by all means. After the first 5 seconds i immeadiately knew its gonna be fun to mix.
Drum sound and arrangement is outstanding(according to my sense of taste)
I really hope more songs like this will take place on this forum to be shared.

Reactions: SynFactory
Thanx for the stems. Perfect friday mix time with beers. heres my mix. Should automate the vocals and sweetening the mix a little but im too lazy on a friday night. I maybe do it later on. Rock on!

Last edited:
Reactions: SynFactory
Thanks for the mixes and for the advices guys!
just some thoughts about the arrangement that could be cool to think about:

the additional things TRUIE added to the arrangement are things that could be worth thinking about next time round - the arrangement is a little flat between sections, so varying up different guitar techniques/chord positions, varying up instrumentation, adding keys, different guitar sounds, vocal harmonies/backing, drum loops, percussion etc will all help the song flow with more excitement/tension. the drums felt very busy throughout the song - there's some cool beats in there but often I found them to disrupt the song rather than enhance it. I think there'd be scope to even shorten some sections down.

Thanks!
I tell why it is the way it is.
I wanted the album to have a "raw" feel to it, that's why I didn't put too much extra vocals, extra loops, extra guitars etc.
Almost all the songs, apart from a few things here and there, were made with a Power Trio in mind (Vocals+Guitar, Bass, Drums+Synths/Loops).
Maybe that was a direct consequence of the fact that I wanted to release these songs as soon as possible, some of them were 5-6 years old and I was a bit tired of them.
I can assure you that next album will be a lot more "dense" and "thick" in this regard :D

Thanks for the mixes and for the advices guys!

Thanks!
I tell why it is the way it is.
I wanted the album to have a "raw" feel to it, that's why I didn't put too much extra vocals, extra loops, extra guitars etc.
Almost all the songs, apart from a few things here and there, were made with a Power Trio in mind (Vocals+Guitar, Bass, Drums+Synths/Loops).
Maybe that was a direct consequence of the fact that I wanted to release these songs as soon as possible, some of them were 5-6 years old and I was a bit tired of them.
I can assure you that next album will be a lot more "dense" and "thick" in this regard :D

It's definitely possible to keep the excitement high in the arrangement without having to resort to programmed layers or stacked vocals......it can help after the fact a little but it always works better when the parts of the song change section by section.

Nirvana and old Green Day are pretty great examples of changing how each instrument is played between sections to keep it interesting. Heart Shaped Box for example blows my mind when you go through what each instrument is playing through each part of the song and how they affect the overall dynamics of the track. On more modern productions, David Bendeth really is a master at getting a 3 minute song to sound direct yet exciting. It's all about that push/pull, tension/release etc.

Good luck and look forward to hearing more songs!

Paolo, thanks for the stems dude! amazing song here! it was really funny mix it! such a killer song man! I leave you my try, and, well, has been a while since you uploaded the stems, I hope you're still there to hear it!

Very well recorded and performed track, good job to you and the band. It was fun to mix too.

Last edited:
Neat track. I needed a break from 3D modeling so I did this. And made a (bad) 3D model of a crown for it. :D

Went all 90's and added some chorus on the bass guitar on the second verse.

Neat track. I needed a break from 3D modeling so I did this. And made a (bad) 3D model of a crown for it. :D

Went all 90's and added some chorus on the bass guitar on the second verse.

I dig the mix sound man, easily one of the best mixes in the thread. I have to admit though as good as the rest of the mix is, that voxverb is reminiscent of singing in a locker room shower tho XD

I dig the mix sound man, easily one of the best mixes in the thread. I have to admit though as good as the rest of the mix is, that voxverb is reminiscent of singing in a locker room shower tho XD

:p

Yeah I didn't really spend a whole lot of time on the mix. If it was a real client I'd have tweaked it a lot longer than an afternoon. I just slapped something on the vocs with zero tweaking. Normally I'd have automated the delays and other vocal effects to sit better, now it's just the same all the time.

There's nothing really special in the mix, mostly just cleaning the low mids with eq, compression and saturation (Slate VCC and Fabfilter Saturn mostly).

Last edited: