Mixing three of the same speakers with another on a 4x12 cab?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
So I have this Marshall cab with T-75's that sounds pretty good in the room, but I'd love to have a V30 for recording...

... So I wonder if anyone's got a cab that he has 3 of a single kind of speakers in it, and then another, say a V30 that you mic up. Would that sound ok? I assume it'd just sound like a V30 in a 4x12 since I'm close mic'ing, wouldn't it? Or do I get bleed (I'm pretty sure I'd get a little to some extent) from the other speakers and that would sound... bad?

Thanks.

:)

As long as your load is still what is rated by your head, you'll be fine. Watch your wiring so you don't route something out of phase.

The V30 will be louder than the T75's. It has a higher sensitivity rating (100 dB as opposed to 97 dB of the T75's.) You'll get some bleed as you back the mic off from the grill. Right up on the grill it may not be much of an issue.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Will the difference be very noticeable in the room? Maybe if I load it in either of the bottom slots it will be less noticeable? And if it is noticeable... will that sound like... bad?

Sorry for all the n00bish questions. I just don't see very many people mixing a single V30 in their cab.