Most anticipated releases of 2011

FerretallicA

HMAS Slagdestroyer
Mar 23, 2005
Sydney, Australia
What are we all keeping our eyes (and ears) out for?

I'm mostly excited about the new Obscura album. They have a new track "Septuagint" up on MySpace at the moment and it's sounding awesome. Also very excited about a new Shining album, and of course interested to see how Dream Theater's next album turns out but I'm trying not to expect much from them.

Other bands with planned 2011 releases I'm keen to hear:
Symphony X
Protest The Hero
Psycroptic
Children of Bodom
Manigance
Deep Purple
The Project Hate MCMXCIX
Opeth
Devin Townsend

Bands I'm hesitantly hoping manage to produce something worth listening to:
Black Stone Cherry
Pain of Salvation
Iced Earth
Stratovarius
Within Temptation
Pagan's Mind

I'll also be happy but extremely surprised if the new ARK album actually sees the light of day this year. I'm guessing not.

• Dream Theater more so than ever for obvious reasons....
• Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPhearson
• Opeth
• Pain of Salvation
• Silverchair
• Devin Townsend
• Whitesnake
• Mr Big
• Foo Fighters
• Arcane (maybe?)

Keep your eyes on the prize here Tez, Joey Belladonna is back in 'thrax, I personally haven't liked the Joey era 'thrax, but I won't deny it if it is fucking awesome

• Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPhearson
I'm sort of expecting it to sound like it's trying too hard to be a cross-genre all time classic album... but still one I'm looking forward to anyway. As far as supergroup collaborations go there's also supposedly a second Black Country Communion album under way, and the Michael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson collaboration will almost certainly be godly if it ever sees the light of day.

Control Denied hopefully?

Given I'm unlikely to buy more than a couple of albums this year (none in 2010) I'll say Opeth and Control Denied.

The year so far...

Highlights:
Protest The Hero (Even better than excpected. Likely top #5 of 2011 for me)
Symphony X (going by live performances of the new album songs)

Lowlights:
Within Temptation (getting consistently worse with every album)

In-betweens:
Children of Bodom (not bad, just not particularly interesting)
Obscura (not bad either, but just doesn't live up to Cosmogenesis)

More importantly...
BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, the Anglo-American rock supergroup featuring the talents of bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, TRAPEZE, BLACK SABBATH), blues rock guitarist/vocalist Joe Bonamassa, drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN), and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (DREAM THEATER), will release its second album, simply entitled "2", in Europe on June 13 via Mascot Records and in the U.S. on June 14, 2011 through the J&R Adventures label.

"2" track listing:

01. The Outsider
02. Man In The Middle
03. I Can See Your Spirit
04. The Battle For Hadrian's Wall
05. Save Me
06. Cold
07. Smokestack Woman
08. Faithless
09. An Ordinary Son
10. Little Secret
11. Crossfire
12. Crawl
Other than the new Dream Theater and Van Halen albums, this is the one which will disappoint me most if it ends up being crap.

The year so far...

Highlights:
Protest The Hero (Even better than excpected. Likely top #5 of 2011 for me)
Symphony X (going by live performances of the new album songs)

Lowlights:
Within Temptation (getting consistently worse with every album)

In-betweens:
Children of Bodom (not bad, just not particularly interesting)
Obscura (not bad either, but just doesn't live up to Cosmogenesis)

More importantly...BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, the Anglo-American rock supergroup featuring the talents of bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE, TRAPEZE, BLACK SABBATH), blues rock guitarist/vocalist Joe Bonamassa, drummer Jason Bonham (LED ZEPPELIN), and keyboardist Derek Sherinian (DREAM THEATER), will release its second album, simply entitled "2", in Europe on June 13 via Mascot Records and in the U.S. on June 14, 2011 through the J&R Adventures label.

"2" track listing:

01. The Outsider
02. Man In The Middle
03. I Can See Your Spirit
04. The Battle For Hadrian's Wall
05. Save Me
06. Cold
07. Smokestack Woman
08. Faithless
09. An Ordinary Son
10. Little Secret
11. Crossfire
12. Crawl

Other than the new Dream Theater and Van Halen albums, this is the one which will disappoint me most if it ends up being crap.

what were your thoughts on the first relaese, i really enjoyed but I have'nt really got into Joe's solo stuff on a side note Joe is touring down under as well

Within Temptation lost the fucking plot after The Silent Force, which would be in my all time top albums. Enter is also very good.
Compared to the brilliance of "Mother Earth", they already well and truly lost the plot by "The Silent Force".

Seems to be the case with any half-decent female-fronted metal band that falls into the "symphonic/gothic" category. They start out with good music, get a bit of attention, fame-lust kicks in and they release increasingly watered-down horse shit.

I know this could be said about a lot of bands in most genres but in this instance it's almost guaranteed. The basic rule of thumb is - if it's metal and there's a chick growling, it's a flip of the coin. If she's actually singing, make the most of it because it's only going to get worse with each album.

I'm really looking forward to the new BCC album. Loved the first one, especially "Song of Yesterday" which was my pick for best song of 2010.

Last edited by a moderator: