Music of 2013

MadTinus

Language enthusiast
May 7, 2002
Utrecht, Netherlands
www.facebook.com
I thought there already was a thread for this on this forum, but a search didn't yield any results, maybe there was one on the Katatonia forum.. Anyway, I deciced to make one.

So what albums/music from the year 2013 have you heard so far, what stood out, what are you still looking forward to?

Highlights for me so far:

SOILWORK - The Living Infinite
Lost interest in them after Figure Number Five, but this album is a very strong return to form, 'despite' the fact that it's a double album of 20 songs all together and lasts some 84 minutes, the quality and level of interest remains high throughout. A very positive and welcome surprise!

SULPHUR AEON - Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide
You already saw me plug them in the Death Metal thread. Amazing new find! Found them purely by chance, stumbled upon a review of the album on Nocleansinging in my Facebook newsfeed and was first attracted by the spectacular cover art. The description sounded pretty interesting as well. Melodic yet crushingly heavy and epic Death Metal!

Other worthy mentions:

TRIBULATION - The Formulas of Death
The Horror from 2008 was one killer of an album, so I was excited to learn a few weeks ago they finally had a new album coming out. What stands out first is the increased length of the songs and thus the entire album, several 7-minuters and even a 10-minuter and a 13-minuter adding up to a whopping 75 minutes playing time! Well over twice the length of The Horror. Musically the change isn't that spectacular, but clearly an extra layer of depth and dynamics has been added, it's not just pure speed and aggression anymore. Good album, but not as good as the debut i.m.o. 7,75/10.

SKINEATER - Dermal Harvest
A new 'all-star' Death Metal band from Sweden. Pretty cool Death Metal, well-played, nice variation of brutal and melodic. 7/10.

Still very much looking forward to:
OCTOBER TIDE - Tunnel of No Light (out next week)
ALICE IN CHAINS - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here (May)

Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh, check it out!!!

That Sulpher Aeon album was a really good find.

New Hypocrisy is pretty good.

Need to check out the new Tribulation and Riverside still.

The Sulpher Aeon was decent, but mostly stood out because the majority of this has been disappointing thus far.

Best stuff so far this year Portal - Vexovoid, Subterranean Masquerade - Home, and Fen - Dustwalker. Riverside was pretty solid, Cult of Luna and suffocation were alright.