Musical accomplishments

I was a first chair trumpet in the marching band? :)

I would have loved to learn guitar or keyboards, but I have a minor physical disability that limits my dexterity. Unfortunately, all metal instruments require extreme dexterity to be good at, so I would always be limited. So I've chosen instead to just be a metal enjoyer and focus my efforts where I'm better (writing).

If you know the notes, learn all your basic major/minor scales. Practice them one hand at a time, then two hands at a time, one octave up and down. Once you're comfortable with that, try two octaves (quarter notes for one octave, eighth notes for two octaves). Make sure to use proper fingerings...

Then try chords. Arpeggios are a bit tricky for the beginner but well worth trying once you figure out the fingerings. Of course we could get into a whole other world concerning technique and whether to play from the fingers or arms...

Some wise words there! When you come to arpeggios....you might also want to take a look at "broken chords" which I often find to be equally as useful :kickass:

Ahh, the ol' broken chords trick. That's a good one too!

EDIT: Every Thursday this semester I meet with my piano instructor at school. I'm working on a Beethoven sonata (granted, it's a fairly easy one, but then again, I've only actually had one year of formal, classical training - can't just leap into the masterworks, gotta start somewhere!) and just got Bach's sinfonia in B minor to work on today. In this piece I can actually see a ton of technical things that modern power metal musicians use! Totally reminds me of Warmen, too.

Heh, I wish I had accomplishments to share with you guys.
As much as I enjoy singing metal, I don't think I'd have the confidence to try it... I've fancied learning drums, but unfortunately space (and noise, for that matter) is a bit of an issue, which kind rules it out. :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up on that guy, Steve - I'll definitely check him out. I'm getting a Richard Andersson vibe from looking through that page - I love his band Time Requiem, which is prog neoclassical metal too, so I'm excited to hear some of his work.

Also, although I'm no professional guitarist, I know how to play scales and (some) chords, and last night I sat down and played some Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Love to sing that one :p

I've had many musical accomplishments over the years that I'm proud of and happy to have had and been a part of.

My biggest and proudest though is that I am teaching my daughter to sing, and soon enough, how to play guitar and bass, and any other instrument she might have interest in. :)

That's great Shred! wish i never stopped playing the instruments i did when i was young...well younger:p if your daughter ever gets bored and want to quit her instrument, don't let her lol=)

Also, anyone know any site or have any tip when it comes to read notes? would like to learn that, have no idea how though.

That's great Shred! wish i never stopped playing the instruments i did when i was young...well younger:p if your daughter ever gets bored and want to quit her instrument, don't let her lol=)

Also, anyone know any site or have any tip when it comes to read notes? would like to learn that, have no idea how though.

I keep this little blog in handy for those wishing to learn some introductory music theory (not run by me, just pulled it up on Google one day). Here's something you may find useful:

http://musictheoryblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/staff.html

Focus on treble clef (G clef) first, of course. Don't worry about any other kind of clef until you know the notes in treble for sure - it'll always be your biggest reference point for sure.

And just remember, there are only seven letter names - A B C D E F G - so you'll have them memorized in no time. After that (and learning where they are on the staff), just learn the sharp/flat keys, too. Sharps can be the same as a flat... (for example, A sharp is the same as a B flat) ... but that's a slightly more advanced topic, don't worry about that for now.

Or if you already know some theory but just don't know how to read notation, then nevermind that last part - it's useful stuff though!

I play electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboard, piano, and do a good bit of singing.

I have learned how to play almost all of the songs Yngwie has ever written on guitar, including "Arpeggios from Hell". I can do pretty much anything with a guitar though my equipment is sub-par due to money issues. I have transcribed several classical songs and have written a few myself as well as a few notebooks full of lyrics. I am pretty weak when it comes to keyboards and piano, the best I can play is some Sonata Arctica and the theme from "Titanic". Vocally I have a style similar to Jon Oliva and am pretty good at doing covers of his music.

I keep this little blog in handy for those wishing to learn some introductory music theory (not run by me, just pulled it up on Google one day). Here's something you may find useful:

http://musictheoryblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/staff.html

Focus on treble clef (G clef) first, of course. Don't worry about any other kind of clef until you know the notes in treble for sure - it'll always be your biggest reference point for sure.

And just remember, there are only seven letter names - A B C D E F G - so you'll have them memorized in no time. After that (and learning where they are on the staff), just learn the sharp/flat keys, too. Sharps can be the same as a flat... (for example, A sharp is the same as a B flat) ... but that's a slightly more advanced topic, don't worry about that for now.

Or if you already know some theory but just don't know how to read notation, then nevermind that last part - it's useful stuff though!

A GREAT thank you for that one mate:D! really helpful!

The height of my musical talent is playing that riff from "Smoke on the Water" that everyone who has ever picked up a guitar can play.....aren't I the talented one?! :)

About 1:08 where you cross the hands... this is what I'm currently working on, and it's a nightmare to get correct. Even playing it slowly it's confusing. Almost got it, but Jesus, I hate crossing hands!

Last edited by a moderator:
GaH you crazy:D!

good luck ! and be sure to upload a video of yourself playing that as well:)