Nationalistic Symphony

metu

Nov 21, 2002
MI, USA
Visit site
OK. I hope everyone reading this realizes what is wrong with nationalism. It's been used as an excuse and a rallying point for many of the darkest most horrible chapters in human history.

It has, however, been one of the great inspirations of music.

Who can suggest some nationalistic classical/romantic music?

I can only really think of Dvorak's Czech Suite off hand.

I actually enjoy the old soviet national anthem composed by prokofiev. Not that I like Communism, I find it abhorrent, but i do like this anthem.

It's the Russian Anthem again, I do believe. I agree. That's a great song. The Soviets forced many of the greatest composers in history to compose nationalist stuff. They developed a secret code to express their true vision. I wonder if there is any secret code in that song.

American marches and stuff bore me as do their British counterparts. I like the eastern Europe angle where they fused their local traditional melodies with the complex classical/romantic structure. Maybe it's just that it sounds refreshingly different.

metu said:
OK. I hope everyone reading this realizes what is wrong with nationalism. It's been used as an excuse and a rallying point for many of the darkest most horrible chapters in human history.

I disagree.

Genocide is not as horrible as destruction of the natural environment, and nationalists tend to cut back on that.

Human losses don't bother me.

I swear pro mass murders are coming out of the wood work on this site. My god, I had no idea so many people put so little value on human life- and more on their ideology, or the supposed destruction of the environment. Jesus how the hell does one argue with these people?

Basically not at all, as they are all a bunch of naive nihilists that blame the world for their own pathetic lives.