Need snare FX Chain ideas!

Jan 2, 2012
Hey so I'm having a lot of trouble with my snare sounds. I think the main problem is, I don't even know what plugins people use on their snare drums

If you could share your FX Chain I'd be really stoked.

My Current FX Chain:
EQ
Compression
Transient Designer
Gclip

all thoughts and ideas are welcome!

Yeah, using Slate snares, and others. It's not that my settings are bad sounding, they're just not "Great" wondering what other things I could do to get a great snare sound

Maybe slightly change it:

Destructive EQ
Comp
Additive EQ
Transient Designer
Gclip

Then like Trevoire said, send it to a reverb. You really should have no problems getting a good sound out of a Slate snare.

Would you not want to compress the signal after using a transient designer?

just sounds right to me sometimes, the transient designers ad a certain edge to the sound of the snare, but then i have to clip it so it doesn't fuck with the drum bus compression.

anywho it all depends, with a specific instrument and a good drummer all i need is the ssl channel. on other cases... slate trigger ;]

*eh, to tired, I guess the question wasn't directed towards me

My Current FX Chain:
EQ
Compression
Transient Designer
Gclip

That is the exact same chain I use and people seem to like my snare sounds.

So the only thing that comes to mind is that you have a bad sound to begin with. After that it's all about how you use those plugins.

With snare LESS IS MORE IMO and it's usually just like this with every instrument. A few plugins tweaked correctly will always sound better than 100 plugins tweaked wrong.

First of all EQ: Don't try to change the sound. Personally I just try to make the snare as flat as possible so it cuts through equally well from low to high frequencies. Nowadays I don't even add low cut to it so it has some natural bottom.

COMP: 1176 or the Stillwell Rocket which is free to use. Attack short and release long and about 3dB gain reduction.

Transient designer: bump up the upper knob to 3-6 when ever it starts to smack but still sound natural. Depending on the snare sound tweak the sustain to where the snares stop ringing in a smooth way.

Gclip: just cut out all dynamics and never tell the drummer.

YOU NEED A PLATE REVERB!! Renessaince Reverb by Waves has a drum plate preset that many professionals use. It's gooooooood!

If you disagree with me you must suck... :bah:

English is not my native language, and I never heard about destructive eq, only subtractive & additive EQ. So it was funny to me to read about an eq which purpose is to destruct the signal.

I generally gate, EQ, comp, g clip, sometimes comp/limit again and sometimes I'll use a saturation plug in in there too. I also parallel comp which sometimes can contribute alot to the overall snare tone. Sometimes I'll use 2 EQ's, one to tailor the sound of the snare and the other to make it fit in the mix. Lately I've been doing this all in one EQ but not always.

I find I get alot of my snare sound from the room/oh when I can. I don't really work with programmed drums ever so I'm always using real snare and blending samples.

if you're using 100% sample replacement with a snare that sounds good as is, just comp, then eq, and you're done. if using real drums, gate, low-pass, then do the same. mix the drums first, make a reverb send and send snare+toms to it, then mix the rest, THEN master. people start by putting a limiter on their master bus before they even begin mixing these days. i used to do that. really hard to make stuff sit, guess people do it so the mb fader wont hit the red, but it's harder to make stuff work that way. first of all, you are clipping the snare to make it punch through, you are chopping of the transient peaks off to make the track percievably louder, but you are losing detail. and if the signal to the master is in the red, your mb plugins wont work the way they're intended. that's why people hype about analog sounding so much better, and the digital being harsh. because the gain staging is different. analog operates up to 0 VU, which is like around -20 digital dBFS, before it distorts, and it distorts rather than clipping, so it's still musical. people push their recorded tracks up to -3 to 0 within their DAW, pushing the preamps and converters making it sound boxy and 2D too.

guys like joey sturgis use Gclip over compression because they only work with sampled drums that totally lack dynamic variation for most part, so he just uses it in combination with a transient designer to get the tracks up to par because it is thresholdless. and everyone else is like "HEY, with Gclip i can make the snare audible without making proper headroom for it", but it doesn't work the same way. even joey, uncrowned witchmaster of the digital realm, once wrote that without proper gain staging it's really hard to make the mixes sit, so he uses gain reduction on group channels before the mb (in the 32-bit float realm) so that his comp and stuff can work as intended. lots of people hate doing this, so they go for analog summing instead. also a great solution.

One of the most important parts of my snare drum sound is making sure it sounds good and in phase in the overheads. I always mic top and bottom and blend the two to taste. I almost always sample replace, but I make the sample myself using the drummers snare (unless it sucks, in which case I'd use a better sample from a previous session).

My FX chain is typically EQ set to cut (so that you aren't compressing frequencies that you're just going to take out anyways), Comp (attack around 120-150ms, -3/-5 db), then EQ set to boost, with a good plate reverb. I also compress the drum bus a bit with about 25% saturation.

I seem to be one of the few that does not like to use transient designers or clippers on my drums (or anything for that matter). If you're working with a good performance, good tracking and/or good samples, you really shouldn't need those. To me, the result is lifeless and over-processed, but I guess that's what some people are after for some reason....