Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm

RookParliament

I *heart* Darwin
May 31, 2004
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm
Neurot Recordings- NR-033- June 29, 2004
By Alexsandr Revkin

neurosis.jpg

There could be a no more apt title for this album. The members of Neurosis stand alone in the midst of their career. Around them swirls the experience of all their projects. The ambient/tribal/trance of Tribes of Neurot meshes with the folksy solo albums of guitarist/singers Steve Von Till and Scott Kelly, and that is pummelled by the cold industrial of the Neurosis & Jarboe project. All of which is framed by the hardcore/ sludge of the 15-year+ life of main band Neurosis. Everything they have ever set sight on is brought together perfectly on "The Eye of Every Storm."

The opening song “Burn,” seems to be an intro of sorts; a segue between the older Neurosis and their latest style. The older style was all about oppressive harshness. Brief moments of peace would arise like the ebb and flow of tides, but the core was a sonic ugliness that left a listener shivering. But now their music is open, allowing beauty and a sad peace to sneak into a listeners mind. “Burn” is their introduction to the album with its conventional (for Neurosis) percussion and the harshest vocals to be found on the entire album.

The rest of the album takes a listener on a journey that is spiritual and mental, the music moving through various moods. After a false ending, “No River to Take Me Back Home,” heads into a trance using a continually repeated guitar riff, spacey electronics, and some very tasteful drumming. The mid-section of the title track weds itself to a minimalist and pulsating synth line while Steve Von Till sings resolutely over the top. After some piano meandering, song “Bridges” climaxes with a violent eruption of guitar and drums and heads you into the retrospective mood of album closer “I Can See You”. A first time listen is a surprise, being assaulted by constant experiments and sound changes.

The lyrics are dense; with many possible meanings and visions depending on the listener, though this is a normal trait with this band. However, by actually singing for almost the entirety of the album the lyrics are that much stronger. That is the main revelation and best aspect of this album, the singing. At times gentle, at times gruff, and always world-weary. It propels you through an hour of what is one of the best albums of this year.

10/10

Neurosis Band Page
Neurot Recordings Home Page

I wouldn't have given this a 10/10. It was a little mild for my tastes and I didn't really think it stood up to their past releases. The really heavy moments on this album are few, which kinda dissapointed me.

Hey what can I say. Think of it this way, all other considerations aside (atmosphere, extremity, etc) which is more effective drumming? Constant double bass throughout an entire album so you eventually stop paying attention to it, or busting out the double bass just on occasion to emphasize the music and really grab attention? That of course is just my opinion.

Possibly my favourite album that they've done thus far.

A band that constantly gets better with each release.

Paul.

NOT their best release. Them honors would have to go to Sun That Never Sets then Through Silver In Blood...imho. This album is really good but doesnt hit me like the two I just mentioned. I may have to give it more time but I have given it a lot.

After giving the album a bit more time, I must say I'm pleased with the results. Still not their best album ever, but yet another defining chapter for one of the greatest bands ever.

My first Neurosis album (I know... I need to check the rest) and a difficult one to listen to at first as it has that "bare" feeling to it whereas it is actually very detailed. Great work.

All Neurosis stuff is progressive gold. They seem to be at home with everything from their fast hardcore punkish era to the slow moody later stuff. This one is probably the most accessible but is still pure brilliance.