New Cyhra Album 2018-2019

galvanized

Nov 6, 2016
Many of you guys may be aware already that Cyhra has been recording their #2 album in Denmark recently.

Euge on a recent video update said that the new album is

“a bit more riff-oriented”
“faster more up-tempo songs”
“a lot of those twin guitar harmonies that Jesper is especially known for ... we have a lot of those in there”

“now I’m recording guitar solos ... we recorded about half the guitar solos in the studio but our time was limited ...”

I’m stoked. Sounds like all the ingredients are there for an awesome album. Inspiration, energy, taking their time to make it awesome.

Jesper is really lucky to have someone like Euge who is motivated but so far respects Jesper’s talents. I don’t sense any competition or resentment. Seems like they have a good working relationship for now.

Reactions: Pallbearer
I genuinely can't wait. I loved the first album, and it sounds like this one could be even better. Some kind of fusion of the golden-era guitar harmonies of In Flames with the pop-cheesiness of Amaranthe. Count me in. Don't let us down, Jesper.

Jake said that there's going to be less ballads since they don't work well live.

Jake said that there's going to be less ballads since they don't work well live.

That's a shame as I thought all of the ballads on LTM were really good. Closure in particular is one of the best songs on the album imo. I hope they throw at least one in there - it's not like they need to play it live. Some songs are just better in studio. I'd say even In Flames' ballads during Jesper's era (Satellites and Astronauts, Metaphor, Dawn of a New Day, Evil in a Closet, Discover Me Like Emptiness, Come Clarity) are some of the best songs they have to offer. I'll just pretend/assume Jesper had nothing to do with TCP.

I did not say no more ballads. Just less. For a live show, the las four five songs of the album are pretty boring and similar.

There are only three songs on LtM I tend to skip - Dark Clarity, Muted Life and Dead to Me. I wouldn't class any of them as ballads. In fact I'd say LtM only has two ballads on it - Closure and Inside a Lullaby. You can only go one less before having none :D their problem wasn't having too many ballads, it was having too many mid-tempo songs which rushed to get to dat catchy chorus. Not too dissimilar to In Flames. Jake is just a much better singer than Anders so even these songs are more like 'good, but don't need to listen to it every time I play the album', whereas In Flames lesser songs are distinctly mediocre or I never want to listen to it again.

It's funny how even though the lyrics on LtM are average at best, you can still feel the effort and genuineness put into them, compared to the fakeness of Anders trying to appeal to the teen/emo/hipster crowd. Plus most of the songs on LtM have a positive slant, the songs have energy and are uplifting, like old IF used to be. All Anders seems to do is whine about how shit everything is.

It's kind of a shame Jesper and Anders seem to be on bad terms these days. I wouldn't mind a collaboration with Anders lending some old school screams vocals to a track or two, especially if there are going to be more dual-harmonies like the good old days. It'd be the closest we ever got to hearing another Clayman-like song, imo, but I don't see it happening.

I dunno, if I had to listen to Anders "sing" almost every night for over ten years I'd probably hit the bottle too.

I dunno, if I had to listen to Anders "sing" almost every night for over ten years I'd probably hit the bottle too.

Sure he's not the best one out there, but he improved a lot you cant deny that. Just look at this one from 2:30 onward. He's doing pretty good job. Time and time again part is awesome and that part is purely clean he's not growling or anything.

Anyway back to Cyhra; first album didnt really clicked except few songs. I just cant get into vocals. Karma and Letters to Myself are amazing songs musically, I think they would be a classic for me if they used another kind of vocals.

Sure he's not the best one out there, but he improved a lot you cant deny that. Just look at this one from 2:30 onward. He's doing pretty good job. Time and time again part is awesome and that part is purely clean he's not growling or anything.

Sorry, but no way is that from the actual live performance. Sounds dubbed in to me, just like they did with the Used and Abused DVD vocals. If you can show me a non-DVD live performance where he sounds good then I'm all ears.

Anyway back to Cyhra; first album didnt really clicked except few songs. I just cant get into vocals. Karma and Letters to Myself are amazing songs musically, I think they would be a classic for me if they used another kind of vocals.

Weird to me that anybody would have a problem with Jake's vocals. They're pretty inoffensive. It's not like he's high-pitched singing about dragons or whatever else. I mean, if you don't like Jake then you probably just don't like what is considered conventionally good singing. That's fine but then you're more the problem than Jake is imo :D

Jesper is the one to be blamed.

I'd guess they both are.

"I’ve got a lot of experience touring around the world, but yeah, we never really managed to get along with Anders and when I feel that I have to go to the studio and feel forced to write stuff, then it’s time to move on." -Jesper in 2013

By the way I just found out Euge Valovirta released a solo album last month.

I'd guess they both are.
"I’ve got a lot of experience touring around the world, but yeah, we never really managed to get along with Anders and when I feel that I have to go to the studio and feel forced to write stuff, then it’s time to move on." -Jesper in 2013

Interesting that he said "we" rather than "I". Could have been a mistranslation or wrong wording by Jesper, I guess.

I'm not sure about Swedish, but at least in Finnish informal speech it's common to use wordings like "we never really managed to get along with that guy" when actual intended meaning is "We, that other guy and I, never really managed to get along."

Anyway, had the entire band had issues with Anders, they'd probably just kicked him out?

I'm not sure about Swedish, but at least in Finnish informal speech it's common to use wordings like "we never really managed to get along with that guy" when actual intended meaning is "We, that other guy and I, never really managed to get along."

Anyway, had the entire band had issues with Anders, they'd probably just kicked him out?

Fair enough, could just be a cultural thing. I thought it was weird as I never got the impression from interviews that there was any animosity beyond Anders & Jesper. I'm pretty sure Anders and Bjorn must get on or one of them would definitely be gone by now.

Still holding out hope for a Bjorn cameo on the next Cyhra album. Just leave the wah pedal at the beach with Bryce Paul and Anders, skateboarding and hanging ten.

Well, I wasn't that surprised to hear there had been some problems. In 2004 already when IF were playing some of their newest "heavy metal hits", Touch of Red and whatnot live Jesper looked like he wasn't that much into it, necessarily, and I began thinking that maybe the recent change of musical direction doesn't sit very well with him. But yeah, the "we (I?) never really managed to get along with him" comment seemed a bit weird. Was it really so bad all along? :(

Anders words, he did his thing and they, Jesper and Bjorn, did their thing. So all the gujtat work was their decission.

By the way I just found out Euge Valovirta released a solo album last month.
Good catch. Euge is obviously a beast. I just listened to the album earlier and it is very diverse. Not all songs have vocals. Composition is all very good, the only weak part is the drums which sound obviously like a drum machine. His bass, banjo, and whatever else playing is spot on though.

Don’t let that one song put you off if you aren’t into hard rock (I’m not). Give the others a try.

Interesting though how Euge and Bjorn seem to intersect a lot in their playing. I bet Bjorn loves this album.