New EU-members

SaTt

New Metal Member
Hey over there!
I'm working on a list with metal/rockbands from the new eu-members, hungary, Czech and so on. It is'nt very easy to find homepages in english, so could you tell me something about the (most important or best) metalbands of your country? Maybe, what kinda metal they play, when they started playing together, pictures, links to their homepage...???
Would be great!

First of all, I fully applaud your idea. I think it sounds like a very interesting study. Several of the new EU member countries already have their own threads. Some don't. There's a page about the Cyprus scene which I found a little while back. I don't have the link at hand, but I imagine if you google it, it will come.

There are alot of people who seem to think that their extreme music scene is a national treasure which could be tainted by outsiders. Of course, theyr're right. I have a whole different ideal which is that all music and culture should be shared with everyone and thereby everyone will benefit and it will have the maximum impact, but I understand the fright-filled desire to preserve a specific cultural identity.

My point is that the reason so many Bohemians, Magyars and others won't trust people who don't speak their language is that they fear that their culture is being destroyed. It's a very real and understandable fear.

metu said:
My point is that the reason so many Bohemians, Magyars and others won't trust people who don't speak their language is that they fear that their culture is being destroyed.
i do not agree with your opinion :err: Metu, why do u think so ?

I'm sorry about that. I have no business making such assertions. I guess it's mostly the language thing and a general mistrust for outsiders which I think I've noticed. I jumped to conclusions, though, and singled out two groups for no good reason.

Well, well... I never imagined we get this deep into this:)

Yes, cultural defense exists. Why? Almost since our ancestors came to Europ (IXth century) till the end of the I. WW Hungary was three times as big as it is now. Transylvania, the area that is called Slovakia now, a part of Serbia and Croatia belonged to Hungary. Our punishment after the I. WW was they took 2/3 or the country away to ruin our power and the nation. Can you imagine how many Hungarians are living still in those areas? Even in Moldavia that is not really our neighbour country anymore. And of course they are trying to preserve their culture, their heritage, their roots. I guess this short 'history-lesson' without going into it really detailed answers your question:)

Dammit! Right after I edited my post to almost nothing in a fit of sobriety. :}

That's alright. I'll be back with something far more solid anyway.

And about the language problem... till the Soviet bloc existed, it was a must for everybody to learn Russian and in most (of course not in all of them )of the schools there were no opportunity to learn other languages at all. A lot of young ppl, under 35, speak some language - specially the ppl under 25 - now. Many of the older generation speak German mostly and there are also lots of ppl who speak only Hungarian.
For example in the Scandinavian countries its natural to speak English since they have been learning it from a young age and they can switch the languages without any problem. Well, we still need time to be so skilled and sure in speaking other languages. When I say 'we' I mean most of the ppl and not young or old or.. whatever group of ppl.

Does this give you an explanation why we like to stick to our language? And actually Hungarian is a beautiful language :) Difficult as hell to learn it as a foreign language but beautiful.

First of all, I'd like to clarify my previous statement about believing in the ideal of sharing musical traditions. I know that the term ideal brings about images of political fanatics who won't listen to reason. I suppose that it was the wrong term to use. I don't believe in political, let alone economic, ideals. Shit's just way to complicated for them to work.

For me, the most interesting and influential cultures come not from isolation, but from rich mixtures of a variety of influences. Take, for example, the internet metal culture. The music itself is a matter of taste, but the most powerful aspect is its ability to cross ethnic and national borders. It doesn't promote a single, uniform view (although many of the people and movements involved try to promote just that); it promotes a cultural diversity which has unlimited potential to promote communication, representation, understanding, and respect.

You make a good point about the division of the Austro-Hungarian empire after WWI. In my understanding, the Hungarians were a marginalized majority in the empire; the language of the government was German and the Austrians held a higher status. This suggests that the tradition of cultural defensiveness preceeds the division. It was surely hightened with the transition to being a minority in other countries.

I think you touched on a more important point, with this concept of a generation in the middle. This is a generation to which I think you and most of the driving force of the metal communities of the former 'bloc' belong: old enough to remember Russification and young enough to see the true effects of the market driven cultural domination. This domination must look very similar to Russification and the lack of respect for traditions which is more effective on the youth must be very frustrating. The market feeds off the young and it does not preach respect.

I think it's very reasonable to be wary of external influences corrupting a local culture, especially when it comes to dominate that culture as extensively as open markets do. In this way, E.U. membership is a double-edged sword. It provides great opportunities to local businesses for exports (if they can compete), but it also allows more foreign, market driven influence in.

While I'm very much in favor of the mixing of, and communication between, cultures and the diversity which it creates, the influence of the marketplace works against all these things in both directions. It doesn't seek to simply live beside and blend with local cultures; it strives for domination. It supports a homogenous culture in which everyone buys the same things, speaks the same language, and dreams the same dreams.

It also incites cultural defensiveness which tries to preserve the cultural traditions with a common consequence of stifling cultural growth. This cultural defensiveness can also lead to an isolation from, and mistrusting of, outsiders which can lead to more serious problems.

I suppose that the best goal is to find a happy medium between isolation, preservation, representation, communication, inclusion, and evolution. Don't be too concerned. There's presently a resurgence of the representation of, and respect for, the cultural traditions of Native Americans in North America. If those poor fuckers can make a comeback after all they've been through, y'all fuckers are in good shape. :)

Don't get me wrong. I don't know shit. I just put forth a point of view. I hope that people will tell me where I'm wrong, or at least challenge my understanding.

Mocika, actually, as I think more about it, I think that the real lesson here is the one you mentioned which I overlooked. Not everyone knows English. You'd be surprised how mind-boggling that can be to someone from the Midwest.

Anyway, anyone who has an opinion about the relation between music and the EU please voice it here.