New opeth fan

My suggestion is to get into the more accessible stuff first. I'd listen to all the albums, of course, but start with Ghost Reveries and work your way backward. If you begin with Orchid, you might get frightened away!

yeah i just got into opeth like 2 weeks ago. I heard watershed when it leaked then I bought it when it came with Ghost Reveries. Then I got Blackwater Park and Deliverance. Today i just got damnation but i didnt listen to that yet but I know what i am going to expect... because its more prog rock. Watershed and Ghost Reveries grew on me pretty quickly but Blackwater Park took a little while and Deliverance still didnt click that much. Right now I probably like Blackwater Park the best. Now im looking forward to hearing Still Life because a lot of fans like that one the best.

So yeah get Ghost Reveries next and just go backwards. Its always good start with the more modern stuff.

If you want an album that's going to crush you and leave you drained, go
with Deliverance. But to play it safe I'd go with Blackwater Park or Ghost
Reveries. The 'fan-favourites'.

All there albums have different things to like in my opinion. I think many people would agree with Blackwater Park of Still Life being a good direction to go in. Personally I think listening to Ghost Reveries before the others might give a bit of a skewed perspective of the band.