New Queensryche snippet, thoughts?

I stand by my opinion Comic Book Dude. He sounded terrible.

As far as Maiden, they sank way low with Blaze. So they did not do well at all. And I agree with Justin, Bruce is in his 50's, and while he's not as great as he was 30 years ago, you can't expect that he would be. He still sounds really great for his age though, and keeping in shape he's able to run all around the stage. They never cheat the fans. Maiden brings it every night.

Now Halford, he is much older than the rest, but does an adequate job for his age. His stage presence sucks though, with him sauntering around wearing 100 pounds of gaywear. And he uses a teleprompter a lot.

Bottom line: Smokers ruin their voice and it's a shame. Tate, Halford, Dokken, Bon Jovi, Vince Neil, Alder, etc., all have not done themselves any favors.

I would have agreed, but I've seen Maiden live and witnessed Bruce Dickinson doing just that.

Well, I think beyond being good musicians, unlike a lot of other bands Maiden is actually in shape which helps. Also, it's not like Halford ever was the most mobile of singers; he had great stage presence and vocals though.

As for Halford, I've never really heard him sing bad live. I know some will say I'm biased as he is my favorite singer but I haven't. Now in terms of some of the live recordings he does sound iffy.

I am telling you... I better see the long-awaited project TATE/TOLKKI release their magnum opus, "Journey Through the Looney Bin" sooner than later.

Yes, Tate can still sing but his range is much more limited now, and thus it doesn't work with the old stuff.....

What got me is how bad his stage presence has become. If you watch him in that video, he does not seem into it at all. Nobody expects him to jump around like a 20 year old, but he could show a bit more animation and act as if he's enjoying what he's singing......Heck, I'm a couple of years older than him and I can move better, lol.....

Well, he looks drunk, seems like he always has that glass of wine with him on stage which is totally unprofessional from my point of view.

He's far from the awesome frontman I once saw on the Empire tour who was acting out every song. His rendition of Roads to Madness was a jaw dropping moment.

Finally, I can understand that getting old will limit your range but he's a smoker and doesn't look in shape at all. I'll agree with the Bruce Dickinson comparison who's a total pro and can still belch most of the high notes. I figure he cleaned his act when he left the band and got back in shape. It's not the case with Tate. I think we haven't seen the worst of him yet...

Steve

np: Disperse - Living Mirrors

Also, the reason Tate gets so much crap on this board is because he talks such a big game and is known to be a jerk(he was a total Ahole when I met him). If he was more humble and a decent person, people wouldn't be soo critical of him, but if he's going to talk the talk, he better be able to back it up on stage, or else he's going to get hammered.....

Well, he looks drunk, seems like he always has that glass of wine with him on stage which is totally unprofessional from my point of view.

He's far from the awesome frontman I once saw on the Empire tour who was acting out every song. His rendition of Roads to Madness was a jaw dropping moment.

Finally, I can understand that getting old will limit your range but he's a smoker and doesn't look in shape at all. I'll agree with the Bruce Dickinson comparison who's a total pro and can still belch most of the high notes. I figure he cleaned his act when he left the band and got back in shape. It's not the case with Tate. I think we haven't seen the worst of him yet...

Steve

np: Disperse - Living Mirrors

1:51 PM 3/11/2013
Great point Stevie! And I remember seeing Dio the last couple years he was alive and he was still acting the same on stage, he never let age affect him prior to his passing.....Tate is washed up as a performer, even though he still has a good voice with a more limited range, but when I think Tate, I've always thought theatrics, and the theatrics just aren't there...I call it laziness...He's in his 50s right? So it's not as if he's 80.....Also, It's not like he's carrying an extra 300 pounds....

I just listened to the teasers on iTunes of Frequency Unknown. IMHO: Terrible production and the mix is not very good, musicianship is lacking, Tate struggling to sing heavy music and finally, the butchering of the old tunes he decided to re-record.

I saw QR with Todd tonight in Jim Thorpe, PA. and it was incredible! He has restored my faith in this band.

Yeah I just saw them in Biloxi last night, awesome!!! They had a little trouble with their sound for the first two songs but by song 3 they were on fire and nailing it, great setlist as well, mostly from the '80s stuff. Highly recommended you check this out if you are a fan of early Queensryche...

GLEN DROVER – On The Road To QUEENSRŸCHE Madness

BW&BK recently caught up with Drover to discuss his decision to pack it in before any recordings or live performances with Tate’s band were in the can.

“The musical direction of where Geoff wanted to go wasn’t what I wanted to go forward with,” Drover explains. “I’m more into the first five Queensrÿche albums, the original template of the band. For me, when I think of the band, I think of those records.”

“I felt very bad about it,” he says of jumping ship, “and I wish I knew more about what their plans were before going to Seattle to take band photos. There was very little communication before the trip. In the end, I had to think about my future and I what I felt was right for me. I was on the fence when I got home from Seattle, but after speaking to a couple people that I trust who know what’s going on, it made my decision a lot easier.”

Drover’s team-up with Tate was buzz-worthy, but he made a much bigger noise when he performed with the La Torre-led outfit in his home town of Toronto on March 7th. More to the point, the fans went nuts – both positive and negative – when Drover referred to his scheduled guest appearance as “playing a song with the REAL Queensrÿche.” It sounded like he was taking a swipe at Tate, which he insists most certainly wasn’t the case.

“That was poor wording on my part,” says Drover. “I went on Twitter a day or two before the show in Toronto and posted that because I wanted to try and alleviate any confusion as to which Queensrÿche I was going to play with. What I should have said was maybe the ‘original’ Queensrÿche, or maybe nothing at all. As we all know, Geoff has gone off to do his version of the band, and then you still have the original Queensrÿche that exists with a new singer, as well as Parker, who has been in the band for a few years now. It wasn’t a slap at anyone in any way, shape or form. I have no problems with anybody on either side. It was the wrong choice of wording.”

Check out Drover performing 'Take Hold Of The Flame' with Queensrÿche in Toronto below:

Last edited by a moderator:
So you wouldn't call 2013 Geoff Tate and singer an oxymoron too?
To be honest, I don't consider 2013 Geoff Tate much, if at all. Like you, I have little interest in 99.99% of the artists who were prominent in the 80s. There's simply too much good music being created by relevant musicians who are currently in their prime.

And this isn't a Geoff vs. Todd comparison. There is no comparison. Geoff Tate created music that was so amazing, so profound, and so genre-shaping that we're still talking about it today. He's among the pantheon of Metal's greatest vocalists, if not THE greatest. Todd LaTorre is a singer in a tribute band. Can he hit all the notes in "Queen of the Ryche"? Perhaps he can. That makes him no exactly different than all the other folks I've seen do it over the years. But the genius doesn't lie in duplicating those notes, it lies in creating them. It's the reason we have Queensryche karaoke at PP... it's the reason Mindcrime is performing at PP for the second time this year... it's the reason for this thread... and it's the reason Todd LaTorre can make a decent living performing in a Queensryche tribute band. So let's not confuse owning the legal rights to the Triryche symbol with being the "real Queensryche". The "real Queensryche" existed between 1982 - 1994. May they rest in peace.

And this isn't a Geoff vs. Todd comparison. There is no comparison. Geoff Tate created music that was so amazing, so profound, and so genre-shaping that we're still talking about it today. He's among the pantheon of Metal's greatest vocalists, if not THE greatest. Todd LaTorre is a singer in a tribute band. Can he hit all the notes in "Queen of the Ryche"? Perhaps he can. That makes him no exactly different than all the other folks I've seen do it over the years. But the genius doesn't lie in duplicating those notes, it lies in creating them. It's the reason we have Queensryche karaoke at PP... it's the reason Mindcrime is performing at PP for the second time this year... it's the reason for this thread... and it's the reason Todd LaTorre can make a decent living performing in a Queensryche tribute band. So let's not confuse owning the legal rights to the Triryche symbol with being the "real Queensryche". The "real Queensryche" existed between 1982 - 1994. May they rest in peace.

Very well said!

- Chris

To be honest, I don't consider 2013 Geoff Tate much, if at all. Like you, I have little interest in 99.99% of the artists who were prominent in the 80s. There's simply too much good music being created by relevant musicians who are currently in their prime.

Man....the truth hurts... :cry: