new to metal please advise

elwachindebalvanera

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2011
Well Im intrested in listening to metal, but i don't know where to begin.
I will tell you my music tastes so that you can help me in a more accurate way.

I like prog rock a lot, specially Yes and early Genesis. I also like some psychedelic rock, like Jimmy Hendrix or The Doors. The closest I´ve been to metal is Led Zeppelin, which I like, and also some Dream Theater. (I got here from prog).
Now musically speaking, speed is not a factor that matters much to me, i can appreciate fast or slow songs the same. I like complex song structures, and i have a preference for longer songs. I have listened some black metal (bathory, mayhem, darkthrone) and hated the vocals. If it is useful my favorite vocalists are Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant and Geddy Lee.
I dont like repetiive songs where the chorus is repeated over and over again.
Also I have listened to some early heavy metal (iron maiden, judas priest, black sabbath) and can stand it, but dont specially like it.

please reccomend!
thanks

You may like Opeth and similar types of bands. If you can stand the heavy parts of Opeth, you may, one day, come to appreciate real Death Metal. I guess I'm hoping Opeth is a gateway band but I'm not entirely sure it works that way.

I guess from the description you give you should listen to Dream Theater. Although I don't particularly dig them myself. Try Awake and Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory.

As for black metal, which I think you will appreciate the most with your history, start with bands with slightly higher production quality and less . . terrible vocals. Here are three songs I think you will enjoy.

Dissection - Thorns of Crimson Death

Dawn - The Knell and the World (Not entirely black metal, some death metal)

Moonsorrow - Jäästä Syntynyt / Varjojen Virta (2 parter, very long black metal composition)

The black metal you stated that you tried is very hard to get in to as a newcomer to metal. A very popular intro band is Cradle of Filth by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are just getting into metal, Mayhem, Bathory and Darkthrone where not the right place to start. haha

I would say to start with British New Wave (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc) and working your way up:

Basically go British New Wave --> Thrash Metal ---> Death Metal --->Black Metal

There are crap loads of subgenres, so i realize this is very general

Why is everyone starting this guy out with all these random bands? Start with the classics, and then delve deeper

The gateway bands for me were Opeth, Slayer, Mayhem (The album De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas doesn't have especially disagreeable vocals, although I see you already tried Mayhem), Pantera, Death, and Electric Wizard (for doom metal). Hope you find something you like.

Work your way through the list, from top to bottom. Someone else can continue from where I leave off if they want too.

Liquid Tension Experiment
Queensryche
Savatage
Vanden Plas
Hammerfall
Manowar
Saxon
Anthrax
Metallica
Armored Saint
Motörhead
Megadeth
Machine Head
Pantera
Slayer
Sepultura
Bolt Thrower

You say you're a fan of prog rock, so I'm you probably like Jethro Tull. Check out Pagan Altar, they are influenced by Tull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys read the original post! Stop recommending BNW, Dream Theater, and Mayhem!?

You might want to check out Mastodon - Crack The Skye

I recommend the following bands/albums:
Atrox ("Contentum", "Terrestrials", "Orgasm")
Dreams Of Sanity ("Komödia")
Fates Warning (especially "The Spectre Within", "Awaken The Guardian", "Perfect Symmetry")
Fear Of God - "Within The Veil"
Hexenhaus ("A Tribute To Insanity", "Dejavoodoo")
Madder Mortem
Mekong Delta
Midnattsol
Psychotic Waltz
Sieges Even
Soul Cages ("Moments")
The Third And The Mortal ("Sorrow", "Tears Laid In Earth")
Toxik
Voivod ("Dimension Hatröss", "Nothingface")
Watchtower

np: Hexenhaus - "Rise Babylon Rise"

If you like melodic vocals and cool guitar shreds, check out Hammerfall and Dragonforce (the Dragonforce singer sounds like old Triumph). For more prog metal with interesting musicality, check out Revocation.
And for good old Rock and Roll, check out Black Label Society.

If you look hard enough, you'll find new bands that take there influences from bands from your era.

Some real shit recommendations here. Stay away from MASTODON and definitely DRAGONFROCE. Horrible music is horrible no matter what.

Since you enjoy Dream Theater's Images and Words you should definitely check out SHADOW GALLERY. Not only did they originate around the same time and play the same style of music, they actually have made guest appearances and have relations with one another.