Noltem - "Illusions in the Wake" (2021, Transcending Obscurity Records)

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
https://tometal.com/us-black-metal-band-noltem-sign-to-transcending-obscurity-records/

I know that a few of you have already heard the album (thanks for giving me your honest opinions), but the label made their official announcement today. Because I am a longtime forum member, you must endure my spam.

I started writing this album in 2015 and it is finally coming out early next year. This is Noltem's first effort as an actual 3-piece band, and it features several guest performances from some really excellent dudes. It was recorded/mixed/mastered by Spenser Morris who has been working with Panopticon and Saor on their latest releases. We recorded this (mostly) in a professional studio and we're pretty proud of the result. There is a review in the newest issue of Convivial Hermit, courtesy of our buddy Bertrand (Ellestin).

"Band’s statement – “We’d like to thank Kunal and Transcending Obscurity Records for adding us to their roster of excellent bands. Noltem’s first demo was released in 2005 but we truly feel that this is a new beginning. It’s clear how hard this label works for their artists, so we are beyond excited to see where the relationship takes us.

Our debut full-length album “Illusions in the Wake” is a natural progression from the 2015 EP “Mannaz”. The listener can expect focused songwriting with atmospheric layering and greatly enhanced production courtesy of Spenser Morris (Saor, Panopticon, Vukari etc.). While our original core influences still remain, this album combines various new elements which result in a unique artistic statement. Featuring guitar solos from Zach Miller (Pyrithe), Jordan Guerette (Falls of Rauros), and Aaron Carey (Nechochwen), “Illusions in the Wake” displays a wide variety of experimental, black, and death metal influences. Noltem ventures to create something new and engaging while simultaneously paying tribute to classic bands from the past. For fans of: Agalloch, Vintersorg, early In Flames, Saor, Marsh Dweller, Nechochwen, Falls of Rauros, etc…

Noltem is:
Max Johnson (acoustic and electric guitars, additional keys)
John Kerr (vocals, drums, keys, additional guitars)
Shalin Shah (bass guitars)

Track listing –
1) Figment
2) Illusions in the Wake
3) Beneath the Dreaming Blue
4) Submerged
5) Ruse
6) On Shores of Glass

The spectacular cover art is a piece entitled “As the Winds Blow” by Anthony Hurd (https://anthonyhurd.com). We believe that this painting is the perfect visual representation of our album. See for yourself!
---
A brand new song will be unveiled shortly via the upcoming 2021 Transcending Obscurity Records label sampler with artwork by Karmazid."

Looking forward to it! Also that reminded me to purchase Convivial Hermit # 9, looking forward to reading that too--- :tickled:

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited to see how the physical editions look. The label is releasing a sampler for 2021 which will feature a song (im not even sure which one it is). That should be happening any day now...

more interested in the inevitable AWR tape release

but

gotta say that cover art is pretty awesome, if totally unlike what i would have imagined after hearing the album. i thought it was a whole lot more monochromatic and subdued in my mind, but hey

Reactions: MFJ
Tell me about the limited edition diehard birch boxed set vinyl pressing.

The label unfortunately hasn't committed to a vinyl pressing yet, but I can't blame them. We're a relatively unknown band and I'm sure they don't want to make a multi-thousand dollar mistake just yet! A lot of people have been commenting that the artwork would look great on a 12" sleeve, so I'm hoping they come around...

Luckily we're signed on for a regular CD digipack and a limited CD box set for the time being.

gotta say that cover art is pretty awesome, if totally unlike what i would have imagined after hearing the album. i thought it was a whole lot more monochromatic and subdued in my mind, but hey

I know what you mean! Before we found this piece, I was considering a bunch of "dark waves crashing in the night" paintings. Honestly that may have been more "fitting", but our jaws dropped when we saw this one. I think it represents the "prog" aspects of the album without being too wacky or psychedelic. We've had awesome feedback so far so I'm glad we went with this painting.

FOR THOSE WHO GIVE A SHIT:

The label released its 2021 sampler compilation today, and the title track from our album is officially "available". Here's a direct link to the track:

This track features a little bit of everything and is actually a pretty good representation of the different styles you'll find. The first half was written when I was only listening to Obsequiae and old Opeth for like 6 months, and then it goes off on some proggy black metal shit for the rest of the song.

FOR THOSE WHO STILL GIVE A SHIT

Pre-orders are live. I don't know why or how, but they went all-out for this release. There's three colored vinyl variants, a cd box set, a regular digi cd, and a load of shirts/hoodies. Two songs are streaming over on that bandcamp link. In an ideal world, we'd be receiving a large amount of complementary artist copies, and then I could send them to you guys for a greatly reduced price. Unfortunately we aren't getting many copies, so I don't know what I'll have after they're split 3-ways. Please keep in mind that these vinyls might not be ready until early 2022, as there is a 6-9 month lead time for pressings like this. CDs should land in October. Thanks everybody.