Nomination Stage: Most consistent metal bands

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
I think a poll of the most consistent metal bands would be a cool project. However, before doing such a poll, I think we need a nomination stage. So here are the rules for this.

Stage One: Nomination

Bands from any metal genre with 4 or more albums can be nominated as a "consistent band". Consistency is loosely defined as A. Maintaining a particular style & B. Putting out quality within the style. A band can have changed styles and been consistent within one of those styles as long as they have 4 or more albums within the style. For bands like that, please specify by years and/or albums. Nominating participants can nominate any number of bands (but please try not to nominate a band that has already been nominated.

Members can also list previously nominated bands that they believe are not consistent. If 8 or more participants "blackball" a band, it will not be put into the poll for voting.

Nomination will close June 9th.

Stage 2: All nominated, non-black balled bands will be available as options to select a "Top 10" most consistent bands across metal genres.

Finally, if enough people are interested but want to make minor adjustments to these rules at this stage, I'm open to alterations.

Edit: Examples of consistently good bands that would not qualify due to stylistic changes

Death
Coroner

Last edited:
Iron Maiden
Running Wild
Warbringer
Lamb of God (Ashes of the Wake-)
Agalloch
Black Label Society
Paradise Lost
Dismember
Dying Fetus
Ram
Sodom
October Tide

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ozzman
I don't understand the point of the thread if we're going to arbitrarily disqualify bands from being nominated for "stylistic changes". I'd argue that many stylistic elements of both Coroner and (especially) Death were consistent across their discography, especially if bands like Opeth are allowed.

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery
I like Amorphis, but Far From the Sun was shit. Am Universum was OK at best.

100% agree with Type O Negative and Bolt Thrower. All albums are worthy.

My nominations:

Skyclad
Manowar (even Fighting the World, Kings of Metal, and to a lesser extent, Triumph of Steel and Warriors of the World are decent to good)
Reverend Bizarre
Church of Misery
Black Sabbath (the 80's stuff is great)
Pagan Altar
Solstice (3 albums and a bunch of EPs over like 20+ years, so...)

I don't understand the point of the thread if we're going to arbitrarily disqualify bands from being nominated for "stylistic changes". I'd argue that many stylistic elements of both Coroner and (especially) Death were consistent across their discography, especially if bands like Opeth are allowed.

I'm sure you would love an argument over the similarities of PfD and Grin, or Scream Bloody Gore and Symbolic.

I like Amorphis, but Far From the Sun was shit. Am Universum was OK at best.

100% agree with Type O Negative and Bolt Thrower. All albums are worthy.

My nominations:

Skyclad
Manowar (even Fighting the World, Kings of Metal, and to a lesser extent, Triumph of Steel and Warriors of the World are decent to good)
Reverend Bizarre
Church of Misery
Black Sabbath (the 80's stuff is great)
Pagan Altar
Solstice (3 albums and a bunch of EPs over like 20+ years, so...)

Bolt Thrower and Chasm are obvious contenders, both mentioned in this light very often on this board.

But I actually agree with Revbiz above, even though technically they only have 3 albums. III was my favorite for a while and I think we could easily consider Return To The Rectory a fourth album.

EDIT: I don't know Type O Negative's disco well enough to comment on that and I admit I only ever listened to the early stuff that reminded me of Carnivore.

I love watching libertarians turn full county commissioner upon their first exposure to a free market decision they disagree with.

I'm not saying it's contradictory, but it's an amusing inconsistency that implies a moral objection not out of genuine belief in the solution itself but instead the solution's ability to solve an immediate problem; libertarian utilitarianism basically.