Odd question regarding hearing.

noble savage

Oct 28, 2004
Indiana
I have been noticing lately that sometimes, involuntarily when I listen to music, I will hear certain passages out of tune from what is actually there. Like for example, I was listening to the Planet X song Quantum Factor and the beginning synth part was automatically pitch shifted in my head over the guitar line. It was so bad that it actually sounded out of tune relative to the guitar! If that makes sense. The guitar sounded fine, but the synths higher. It has been happening a lot lately and I think it's kind of strange.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? I got my hearing checked recently and it was fine, so I at least know that's not going.:err:

Yeah, strange stuff like that happens to me too sometimes when I spend too many hours in front of the pc without sleep o_O, like becoming 'pitch-dizzy' and all, which doesn't make a good time to make music I guess.

I had an ear infection in high school that affected my pitch. If its a common thing for you I might get it checked by a doctor.

I have only ever had one ear infection in my life. This may sound gross, but I do get a lot of wax in my ears, maybe that has something to do with it? I have heard that wearing headphones for more than an hour or so a day can do this. Which I do. At low-medium volumes.

I have only ever had one ear infection in my life. This may sound gross, but I do get a lot of wax in my ears, maybe that has something to do with it? I have heard that wearing headphones for more than an hour or so a day can do this. Which I do. At low-medium volumes.

What i meant was, it affected my pitch while I had it. Everything sounded slightly sharper than it should have. I also had a friend in high school that had a sinus infection and he told me that it was messing with his pitch to have his ears plugged up. I somehow doubt wax could do it, since thats all on the outside of your ear canal, it'd have to be something in the inner or middle ear.

Obviously, i hope you don't have a tumour, and the chances are, that you don't either :p.

But speaking of wax in your ears; headphones do make you ears "filthy", alot of bacteria gets accumulated in there, so i guess that could be a problem.

Sounds strange to me, if your hearing one part in pitch and another instrument out of tune I dont see how that can happen. If your hearing was effected it should effect the picth of everything you are hearing. If its fusion it could be they are using odd harmonys. Damned if I know, it seems awfully strange to me. Do a few relistens and see if you can figure out what is going on within the music itself.

if your hearing one part in pitch and another instrument out of tune I dont see how that can happen. If your hearing was effected it should effect the picth of everything you are hearing.

Yeah that's why I said it might be just him needing some sleep. Plus I often listen to Quantum Factor and it sounds just normal to me.

I'm just pretty pitch deaf to begin with so I've never really had this problem. :lol: I can tell when it's "right" and "wrong" but I couldn't point out "that's a D" without playing it.

Yeah that's why I said it might be just him needing some sleep. Plus I often listen to Quantum Factor and it sounds just normal to me.

This is a possibility. For some reason I only sleep 5-7 hours a night. And I have noticed that it happens when I'm zoned out, so that could very well be it!