Really kinda odd, or stupid.

Via Noctis

Jun 23, 2007
Wisconsin
So I always had trouble getting a good tone micing my rig. Mesa recording pre ->mesa 2:100 -> rectifier cab -> sm57 -> interface. It always just sounded shitty, not pro, just lame and novice. Being the lazy dumb ass I am I never tried all the speakers just threw the mic on there and went. :Smokin: But today I actually went and put my ipod buds in and gun ear mufflers on top of that (200 watts is pretty loud if you'd believe it) and moved the mic while I was playing and tried a speaker I never tried before.... moved the mic just a little off the cone edge. BAM! :kickass: I feel like such an idiot!! :rolleyes: spent so much time trying impulses and shit with lame results and the answer is what everyone always said... find the best speaker and put a mic on it. I'll try to post something in the next few days if anyone wants me to. I have to record a demo for my band... No drummer yet. And sadly I tune to B but don't have a 7 string. But it still sounded pretty brutal.

Yep! you've gotta try everything! If something isn't seeming right you've gotta try a different instrument, different cable, etc. you never know when something just sucks :lol:

while i am at it what method do you guys use to find the best speaker? Do you put 4 mics on all speakers then record and listen to them after, or reamp and move the mic? And I know that the 57 is the work horse but does anyone ever use a large diaphram condenser up close...? which one? I hace a akg 414 that I have had ok results in the past.. even on the not-so-good speaker

Cables? I have too many questions... do you guys buy a ton of cables or buy a big roll of cable and solder them? seems cheaper if you do it yourself if your good at soldering.

Definitely buy your own and solder if you feel up to it, but honestly I only solder my own microphone and speaker cables, since the plugs are big enough that you have space to work in - when it comes to instrument cables durability is key (especially for a live environment) so I spend a bit extra for professionally made stuff! (specifically Planet Waves :headbang: ) But yeah man, re-amping is the greatest tool for helping one improve one's tone IMO, cuz you can just keep re-amping the same thing over and over, messing with mic position and amp settings. And just one SM57, no multi-mic'ing nonsense until you've mastered it, cuz it's all Andy uses, among other people! :D

www.redco.com is the place to go for bulk cable/connectors, btw. And please tell me you're using a Tube Screamer of some sort with your rig! :ill: If not, buy an Ibanez TS7 for $40, set drive 8:30, Tone 11:00, and Level 12:00, turn it on before the amp, and be prepared to have your mind blown at how much the bass tightens!

Hey metaltastic, what is the logistics you use for reamping? I can't monitor my recorded channels when reamping, cause it goes through the loop and ends up in my amp. Do you record yourself moving it and then listen or is there a way to listen to it while you are reamping. I have 2 presonus d8 and a firestudio lightpipe, with a macbook pro.

I think I may have to play with my old cabinet now.. My livingroom practice rig is with a marshall 1960A (lol... I have AWESOME neighbors).. I wonder how that sounds.

I make my own cables but always make sure you test them out as you make them. Every once in a while you'll fuck one up, it just happens.