Off Topic...help needed

Jul 26, 2006
Middlesbrough, England
OK being in the UK has its drawbacks, one of these is trying to find replacement parts for a 1973 Ford Mustang.

We have one, we are restoring it some of you may remember me mentioning it before.
However the doors are totally shot, does anyone know anyone who may know if theres availability for replacement doorskins for these 71-73 Mustangs?
Or lower door skins, that would solve the problem.

I've searched and searched the net, we know any door off any model car from the 71-73 range will fit, we just cant find any!!!

please iron maidens fans you are our only hope.

If this kind of post is frowned upon, then please remove it, I am just hopeing some of the guys in the US may know a way out of our predicament.

We specialize in foreign cars. That's why I bought a Jetta..got lots of stuff for that car. We have very little for American cars: brake pads & Chinese rotors, clutch kits, water pumps & shocks.

A Jetta is the first car I remember my parents having. I think the reason I remember it so well is because it never had any seatbelts in the back! o_O

bah buy american they say, 5.8litre (351Cui) V8 and the thing weezes out a measly 230bhp

cant buy the parts here or there :(

My own car is a 1.8litre and manages a 120Bhp and my mate tonys, 3.6litre ferrari puts out 400Bhp and weighs about as much as a postage stamp.

but the mustangs do sound good.....so all is forgiven. hehehe

Perhaps I may be of assistance........I love to go to junkyards on my days off (kind of a wacky/fun trait of mine). Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for your type of vehicle. Almost any Mustangs are pretty collectible over here. So, sometimes it's hard to find parts for 'em. But, I shall take a look when I'm at the junkyard next time.

If this is of any help, there is an online store called YearOne that specializes in American muscle cars. You may want to inquire on shipping costs to the UK.

http://www.yearone.com/

Thanks Taking a look now.

I can get parts, I can obtain a lot of things here in the UK. Its just we cant get all the parts we need unless we have a donor vehicle and lets be honest, thats even rarer than rocking horse crap.

Basically because we have a 71-73 stang, we cant get the availability of parts that those with a 64 1/2 to 70 can get.
For example I can buy everything for the door, except the door and skin itself.
Had I a 70 stang, I could buy a complete door.

Just how bad are the doors?

BTW, the '73 is among my all-time favorite Stangs, ever since I saw the original Gone in 60 Seconds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hP5QB642fw]Gone in 60 Seconds[/ame]

The doors are totaly shot up the side to the4 first bend and right along the seem weld underneath. The problem is, once we start to take them apart we dont know how much more damage we will find. The boot lid....I mean trunk. Had more filler than steel, which we didnt know until we dumped a shed load of Nitro mors on it.

The car can go on the road as is, but if we start to mess about with the doors, then she cant. Rock and hard place I guess.
We have seens carbon fibre doors, but I understand they are a pain in the ass to fit. So we want steel doors or new skins.

The carbon fibre ones are $285 each.

Is it possible to post pix? I am in town for a very short time, but was a mechanic all my life here and still have connects that might be able to help. Not too sure what a '73 looks like! Good luck, m8!

Here's a good representation of a '73 Mustang:

19_791567.jpg

1973 Ford Mustang

Aye thats our beloved frankenstang.

I dare Linda to call her purty! :loco::D

But she's a little piece of the good ol USA in the UK. Built in Dearbourne in June 73. She was exported to Antwerp in Belgium, we know very little until 1990-91 when she was imported to the UK and spent her life in Knightsbridge in London (Posh area).

We have stopped 90% of the rot.....which was expensive and not that easy. She will be red and black like the MACH1 picture but we dont want her in concourse condition, she is a car and needs to driven.

But we understand that worldwide parts for the 71-73 stangs are very difficult to come by. Not many pattern parts especially in the sheet metal dept.

Looks really cool! Hope you can find the stuff you're looking for! Car collector guys loooove those Mustangs over here.