Ok, so who's the next big thing in British Metal?

Possibly DragonForce, if they ever get the contract sorted out with Sanctuary and get in the Stdio. However I think that the fantasy metal thing is now on the wane in Europe.

Aint much in the way of conventional metal going on right now - just DF, Shadowkeep, PowerQuest etc.

Threshold are still holding the Prog-Metal torch for the UK, but are pretty much on their own.

In the fashionable skate-punk.nu-metal etc scene then there are a bunch of bands who could do well with the right sort of push from a label - eg Lost Prophets - not really my thing, but the kids like em.

hey chazzyj, never knew u used UltimateMetal lol

erm personally i thnk the most promising bands are not from the UK exactly but from the neighbouring emerald isle Ireland

Waylander - amazing pagan/folk/black/melodic death/doom/warrior metal lol

Cruachan - folk metal used to be black

Primordial - another great pagan metal band

Scald - amazing sludge grind

Abaddon Incarnate - one of the most brutal bands i've ever heard!

Mourning Beloveth - their album "Dust" is THE BEST doom metal album i've heard

I'd love to see Lucys Drowning take over the world... nearest comparison I can think of is American Head Charge, but LD have more of a Pop Will Eat Itself / NIN vibe to them at times. Doesn't stop them from being really fuckin' heavy though! Check out their site, it's got fully downloadable songs on there - I'd recommend 6(sixty)6, if you can put up with the really crappy production and the fact that it doesn't contain real drums or bass. http://www.lucysdrowning.com

Not metal per-se, but Forever Until October have a very bright future ahead of them. They're loads better than the over-rated Hundred Reasons anyway.

Sikth seem to be making all the right moves too, and they're easily the best in the UK when it comes to that "Dillinger" style.

Threshold are bloody amazing and on at Bloodstock - www.bloodstock.uk.com - 31st August 2002, Derby Assembly Rooms!

Now then - check out Biomechanical - who are also on at Bloodstock BUT - I'd never heard of them.

BIOMECHANICAL, a new UK metal band that is about to release it's debut album Eight Moons and break through the metal scene, has already taken incredible reviews from many established websites and magazines such as Terrorizer, Metal Hammer UK, Metal Hammer Greece, and many others. For the music of Biomechanical Malcolm Dome wrote: "The music of Biomechanical is best described as biometal, taking influences from Fear Factory, Metallica and even the melodic hard rock genre, and fusing these into a fierce ball of action and reaction". On a review in Terrorizer Paul Schwarz wrote: "It's about time a quality band of this sort emerged from metal's birthplace. Biomechanical sound like they could well become leaders and not followers in their field". More info on the band at www.biomechanical.co.uk.

Clutching at Straws...not a band, just a description of the thread!!Sorry but the UK scene is dead and buried - it will never get to the height reached in the late 80's. A sure sign of sudden death was when the UK publications of Kerrang and Metal Hammer started to put Manic Street Preachers and Bryan Adams on their front covers.

Next big thing in British Metal? Janick Gers leaving Iron Maiden once and for all, and Adrian Smith & Bruce Dickinson staying for good to make magic once again a la Powerslave.

There are a wealth of superb bands lurking in the underground in Britain at the moment, just waiting for London/Europe/Rest of World to take notice.

Phallicide - My own band. We are a bunch of kids (I'm the oldest and I'm 19), playing intricate, melodic, extreme Metal. We've already been getting rave reviews, and we're playing Dungeonfest II this year.

NailStorm - Crazy grind brilliance from Sheffield, absolutely superb, ultra-technical, deserve to be signed to Relapse.

Tangaroa - The band most of you are most likely to have heard of. Ultra-crazy, ultra-extreme, ultra-discordant, ultra-fucking-brilliant.

You should check out Raw Nerve Promotions, there are loads of awesome bands on there.