Lexicon V
Nov 22, 2001
Guildford UK
www.desolation.org.uk
Old Man’s Child – Vermin
Century Media Records - CD 77558-2 - October 17th, 2005
by Stuart Norman

oldmanschild_vermin.jpg

Since Old Man’s Child first came into the world 12 years ago, it has always had a knack of taking the better musical elements of the black metal sound itself and offering it up with a little more proficiency and imagination than most others. Vermin is no different, but I do wonder whether the world of black metal still needs Old Man’s Child as much as Galder does. The fact that he has kept it going all these years considering both his other commitments and the lack of any kind of permanent lineup is something of a wonder itself!

Continuing in the tradition of working with exceptional and notorious drummers, Reno H. Kiilerich is the man behind the kit for Vermin, with Galder himself now taking responsibility for all remaining performances (a few guitar leads aside, courtesy of Eric Peterson - Testament/Dragonlord). Old Man’s Child being born of such pedigree, the musicianship is of the quality you would expect from start to finish. The calibre of riffage too is of the kind that Galder is so well known for. There is however, one essential quality that is rather too scarce throughout Vermin, which is inspiration. For that reason I have to admit coming away from this album ultimately disappointed. There is nothing here that you won’t have heard before from Old Man’s Child. Yes that does mean that there will be inventive clean sections thrown in with the mayhem; the particularly effective cascading guitars in ‘The Plague of Sorrow’ for one, the crushing staccato riffing throughout being another. It does however mean that Vermin can pass you by somewhat unnoticed.

The riffs themselves are big and bold enough to hold your attention, the opening track ‘Enslaved And Condemned’ along with ‘In Torment’s Orbit’ more than holding their own in that department. At no point throughout Vermin though, do these riffs really make the transformation into great songs, and without great songs, you just aren’t going to get a great album. You are going to get a listenable, enjoyable album, which is what you have here. Made all the more so thanks to a characteristically clear production. With plenty of space in the mix, it has a generic, modern black metal feel. Offering a great deal of depth, but with the synths taking quite a back seat, the guitars are the predominant driving force behind the whole album.

As is expected from Old Man’s Child, there are no weak points whatsoever on Vermin, (with the possible exception of the entirely unnecessary ‘…As Evil Descends’ outro) thanks to such competent arrangement skills. Song-writing with a resulting predictability, leaves Vermin having neither highs nor lows. Predictable and consistent yes, but spectacular? Not quite. I’m sure that it’s quite intentionally that the majority of Vermin, with it’s feet firmly in the mid-nineties, but head and eyes very much in the twenty first century, paints a picture of sheer grimness in an ironically polished way. Dissection could pull off something similar to ‘Lord of Command [Bringer of Hate]’ nine years ago with pure menace on The Storm of the Light’s Bane, and perhaps it’s only because that was nine years ago, but this feels a little more contrived. I don’t think this will bother Old Man’s Child unduly, they may be grim, but they can’t pretend to be necro!

I said earlier that I think Galder needs Old Man’s Child. As Dimmu Borgir slip further down the slope of commercial marketability, Old Man’s Child offers him a more credible and unrestrained artistic outlet. But on this evidence, although his class and capability shine inevitably through, I don’t think Vermin offers us enough as an album in it’s own right. I’d love to be able to say Old Man’s Child gives us something Dimmu Borgir doesn’t at the moment, but with Vermin, that isn’t really the case.

7/10

Official Old Man's Child Website
Official Century Media Records Website

i think i agree with most of what your saying. i found the music and production to be very well done for the most part but it just didnt transform into amazing songs for me either. not that i felt the songs are bad but nothing really stands out. maybe its just me but i feel that even the most extreme metal needs its catchy moments and hooks even if people start crying about reaching out for a more commercial sound. sometimes a great riff just doesnt cut it anymore.

Old Man’s Child – Vermin
Century Media Records - CD 77558-2 - October 17th, 2005
by Stuart Norman

oldmanschild_vermin.jpg

Since Old Man’s Child first came into the world 12 years ago, it has always had a knack of taking the better musical elements of the black metal sound itself and offering it up with a little more proficiency and imagination than most others. Vermin is no different, but I do wonder whether the world of black metal still needs Old Man’s Child as much as Galder does. The fact that he has kept it going all these years considering both his other commitments and the lack of any kind of permanent lineup is something of a wonder itself!

Continuing in the tradition of working with exceptional and notorious drummers, Reno H. Kiilerich is the man behind the kit for Vermin, with Galder himself now taking responsibility for all remaining performances (a few guitar leads aside, courtesy of Eric Peterson - Testament/Dragonlord). Old Man’s Child being born of such pedigree, the musicianship is of the quality you would expect from start to finish. The calibre of riffage too is of the kind that Galder is so well known for. There is however, one essential quality that is rather too scarce throughout Vermin, which is inspiration. For that reason I have to admit coming away from this album ultimately disappointed. There is nothing here that you won’t have heard before from Old Man’s Child. Yes that does mean that there will be inventive clean sections thrown in with the mayhem; the particularly effective cascading guitars in ‘The Plague of Sorrow’ for one, the crushing staccato riffing throughout being another. It does however mean that Vermin can pass you by somewhat unnoticed.

The riffs themselves are big and bold enough to hold your attention, the opening track ‘Enslaved And Condemned’ along with ‘In Torment’s Orbit’ more than holding their own in that department. At no point throughout Vermin though, do these riffs really make the transformation into great songs, and without great songs, you just aren’t going to get a great album. You are going to get a listenable, enjoyable album, which is what you have here. Made all the more so thanks to a characteristically clear production. With plenty of space in the mix, it has a generic, modern black metal feel. Offering a great deal of depth, but with the synths taking quite a back seat, the guitars are the predominant driving force behind the whole album.

As is expected from Old Man’s Child, there are no weak points whatsoever on Vermin, (with the possible exception of the entirely unnecessary ‘…As Evil Descends’ outro) thanks to such competent arrangement skills. Song-writing with a resulting predictability, leaves Vermin having neither highs nor lows. Predictable and consistent yes, but spectacular? Not quite. I’m sure that it’s quite intentionally that the majority of Vermin, with it’s feet firmly in the mid-nineties, but head and eyes very much in the twenty first century, paints a picture of sheer grimness in an ironically polished way. Dissection could pull off something similar to ‘Lord of Command [Bringer of Hate]’ nine years ago with pure menace on The Storm of the Light’s Bane, and perhaps it’s only because that was nine years ago, but this feels a little more contrived. I don’t think this will bother Old Man’s Child unduly, they may be grim, but they can’t pretend to be necro!

I said earlier that I think Galder needs Old Man’s Child. As Dimmu Borgir slip further down the slope of commercial marketability, Old Man’s Child offers him a more credible and unrestrained artistic outlet. But on this evidence, although his class and capability shine inevitably through, I don’t think Vermin offers us enough as an album in it’s own right. I’d love to be able to say Old Man’s Child gives us something Dimmu Borgir doesn’t at the moment, but with Vermin, that isn’t really the case.

7/10

Official Old Man's Child Website
Official Century Media Records Website

MAN, FUCK YOU!
VERMIN IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING ALBUMS IVE EVER HEARD, IT LITERALY GIVES ME A "MUSICAL ORGASM" WHEN I LISTEN TO IT.
SO FUCK YOUR OPINION