Old School Metal Head Influences....

Daemon_Blak

New Metal Member
Dec 10, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.sonicbids.com
I don't know about most of you, but I'm an old school metal head (age 45). I was playing the blues when a friend introduced me to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica in 1980. That changed my life. Didn't make it as a youngster, took 15 years off to attempt "a normal life among the squares" and came right back to Metal. Now I'm loving some DEATH METAL!!! I'm going for it now and I'm going to make it happen.

Who inspired you to play metal, in your youth?

Geeze, I don't even know where to begin. At the age of 7-8 it was Montrose, Edgar Winter, BTO, The Guess Who, Kim Mitchell, Queen and several others. I gradually moved up to Kiss and Bon Jovi and evetually got into Metallica and GNR, which is likely the reason I'm a metalhead to this day.

Nowdays my tastes are so broad it's impossible to say. Power/Classic Metal for sure, but also a ton of stuff like Opera, Jazz, Classical, Blues, Classic Rock, Big Band...

That said, metal does still occupy about 80-90% of my listening time.

Who inspired you to play metal, in your youth?

As everybody knows I'm another die hard old school fan (soon turning 43) :D
I grew up in a closed environent listening to classical music, opera, Argentinian traditional music (tango and folk), and musical movies so my in childhood was far from rock'n'roll.

I had two friends into metal before I did by the end of my highschool days. I was basically into ABBA (which curiously inspired a very good metal tribute, that I haven't seen in any other pop band) and lots of video music from the early 80's but never a fan of radio. One way or another they got in touch with bands like Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, AC/DC and by 1983 I was more interested in rock/metal than anything pop.
Entering college the next year I was absolutely into metal and never had turn it back. There a friend overdoesd me with lots of bands I didn't know and thus I have find more and more as the years go by.

As I like a lot of modern bands I still long for the 80's metal (specially NWOBHM), but I never could got into Death, Black, Industrial or Glam. Besides I usually start late with genres, I was late for thrash, late for progressive rock, late for classic bands, so I had spent a lot of time searching for old stuff and not much for newer. Maybe 10 years from now I'm gonna like the cookie monster vocals :lol:

Pretty simple for me Kiss, AC/DC and Cheap Trick in the 70's. Early 80's Ratt, Dokken, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ozzy etc. Mid to Late 80's thrash metal and punk. Late 80's to 90's Death Metal and Hardcore. 99 to 2005 mostly Black Metal. Now pretty much i listen to all kinds of Rock and Metal from Mountain to Zyklon.

As everybody knows I'm another die hard old school fan (soon turning 43) :D
I grew up in a closed environent listening to classical music, opera, Argentinian traditional music (tango and folk), and musical movies so my in childhood was far from rock'n'roll.

I had two friends into metal before I did by the end of my highschool days. I was basically into ABBA (which curiously inspired a very good metal tribute, that I haven't seen in any other pop band) and lots of video music from the early 80's but never a fan of radio. One way or another they got in touch with bands like Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, AC/DC and by 1983 I was more interested in rock/metal than anything pop.
Entering college the next year I was absolutely into metal and never had turn it back. There a friend overdoesd me with lots of bands I didn't know and thus I have find more and more as the years go by.

As I like a lot of modern bands I still long for the 80's metal (specially NWOBHM), but I never could got into Death, Black, Industrial or Glam. Besides I usually start late with genres, I was late for thrash, late for progressive rock, late for classic bands, so I had spent a lot of time searching for old stuff and not much for newer. Maybe 10 years from now I'm gonna like the cookie monster vocals :lol:

Holy crap, Wyvern! Are you my long lost twin brother?? That could well be my bio almost verbatim! Except for the first part where you grew up with classical music, tango, etc.

I'm 43 and I first started listening to rock with KISS and The Beatles in the late 70's, I had not yet heard of the term "metal". In 1983 or so I discovered Dio and then Maiden, and then the rest of NWOBHM and the american "Hair" bands. I also got into thrash AFTER it's heyday and now I'm a big fan. I'm also not a fan of Death or Black metal. And of course, we're both from Latin American countries. Rock on!

Holy crap, Wyvern! Are you my long lost twin brother?? That could well be my bio almost verbatim! Except for the first part where you grew up with classical music, tango, etc.

I'm 43 and I first started listening to rock with KISS and The Beatles in the late 70's, I had not yet heard of the term "metal". In 1983 or so I discovered Dio and then Maiden, and then the rest of NWOBHM and the american "Hair" bands. I also got into thrash AFTER it's heyday and now I'm a big fan. I'm also not a fan of Death or Black metal. And of course, we're both from Latin American countries. Rock on!

Well I doubt they played much tango in Mexico in your childhood, but I think you got your well dose of rancheras ;)

And consider that Mexico had a closer contact with the USA scene, I suppose it was easier for you. When I grew up in Costa Rica many albums came from Mexico or Guatemala. And during my forming metal years all releases were late or unknown, same for magazines, so we lived in a black cloud regarding music for a long time. When Judas Priest released "Defenders Of The Faith", a friend brought it in tape format from USA. The album was released locally by CBS like a year after and sursprisingly for many here was the most sold album in the week of its release.

It was around 1986 when this country seriously begun to import (at the time vinyls or tapes) metal from USA and Europe so people have the access to some releases in due time. Still now its easier and cheaper for me to buy the stuff from an online seller in USA, mail it to Miami, and then a courier to CR than to buy the music locally. Besides many bands I like now are still unknowk here, so no use in waiting for the album.

Being a metalhead in Latin America is quite a challenge IMO.

I remember mostly getting into harder stuff in the mid 70's through bands like Slade, Sweet, Mud & Status Quo. Late 70's I bought my first cassette and that was Highway to Hell from AC/DC. From there on there was no stopping :)
My first vinyl album was Van Halen's Women & Children first.
In the early 80's some guys at my school made an awesome good metal magazine called "SuckS". It was full of underground US Metal and NWOBHM stuff and I picked up alot of good bands there...
These days I like about every kind of metal-hard and prog rock stuff but also can't get into the subgenres with harsh vocals.

It started with KISS around 1977/78, then I got into NWOBHM bands like Maiden, Priest around 1980, then I heard Motorhead, Metallica, Exciter, Megadeth, etc... in the early 80s. Been a Metalhead since the beginning, heheheh... I actually discovered AC/DC, Sabbath, Diamond Head, etc... later in the 80s.

Cheers!
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

A copy of Maiden's Powerslave on the crappiest tape ever on a very very very crappy player.

If that is not old shool to the core, they I don't know what :headbang:. Those were the times...

Just a question Tom. Why do you think people here are not into 'harsh stuff'? Just wondering.

And (wondering too) want to add, how harsh is harsh to anyone? (it's only vocals, or the playing too?)

What funny is that on the GMD borad almost all of the people like the extreme metal but the old school thread don't like it.I think the classics of black metal and death metal should also be talk about on this borad too.

Zeppelin was probably the biggest culprit although I had no idea who I was listening to at the time. All I knew is that there had to be more than the bubblegum stuff the other kids were listening to. Made a very rapid transition through Billy Idol (chicks in leather, man!), Motley Crue, and straight into Venom and Slayer and Hellhammer on a fateful night a friend brought over "some evil lookin' stuff".

Sorry to bust your stereotype, TB, but I loooove me some harsh stuff but this forum isn't really about discussing the new Behemoth or Bloodbath albums.