Omaha show---Nov 25th

Haggicide

Death by Scottish Food
Nov 28, 2003
Oklahomeless
Visit site
:headbang:
This show was incredible. I have been waiting too long to see these guys, and my buddy and I had to take leave (Air Force) and drive 500 miles from Oklahomeless to see them. They were playing in a bowling alley :erk: and we rolled in at about 5. I wanted to check out the venue, then go find a hotel room until the show started at 8. I walked in to the bowling alley, and wouldn't you know it, LePond, Rullo, and Allen were bowling. All by themselves. Not swarmed by fans, just hangin'. I talked to Romeo (greatest guitarist alive) in the hall. I couldn't get over the fact that here was my favorite band on Earth.....bowling.

The bar (part of the bowling alley building) they played was not very big (200 people would have needed snorkels), and the steel rafters did not lend themselves to good acoustics. I saw Jimmy Page and Robert Plant play Wembley in '96, and their sound was atrocious. I expected more of the same at this show, but was astounded by the perfect mixing. Their sound guy deserves a medal for what he had to deal with on this tour. The entire set went without a hitch, and the songs were even more amazing when the guys improvised. I have seen a great many bands play half-assed live, but these guys actually improved on the studio versions! Even without the benefit (or distraction) of a light show or pyrotechnics, this was by far the best concert I have ever seen.

After the show, we waited around for about a half hour, and the guys came out and signed autographs and hung out with us. I completely understand their rush to leave, as they had to drive to CO Springs for the next night's show, and we all appreciated the fact that they hung with us as long as they did. They just get better and better in my mind.

I too was at the Omaha show. I was on leave from the Army all the way from Honduras though! It was the best live show I have ever seen. I was right in front of Michael Romeo. He has been my favorite guitarist for a long time, but seeing him live just confirmed with me that he is truly the best guitar player around right now. I have seen a lot of other world class guitarists live such as Yngwie, Marty Friedman and Steve Vai to name a few, but he smokes all of them. He pulls off completely insane runs effortlessly whether it is tapping, sweeping, alternate picking, fingerpicking, economy, etc., yet it never seems like just pointless shredding. He didn't even do a solo spot of his own (although I was hoping for one). The entire band played flawlessly and Russell sounded great. Watching them play the entire Odyssey was amazing. My only gripes with the show were Devin Townsend and Michael Pinnella's volume (or lack thereof). Devin Townsend seems like a good guitarist and vocalist, but I just found his songs to be boring. The sound was quite good overall. Michael Romeo's tone sounded fine to me, but I have never had a problem with it. I just wish I could hear Michael Pinnella's keyboard solos better. Thanks to the guys of Symphony X for an incredible show. I hope to see them on their next tour.

I agree that the keyboard volume was low, but you had to be in the right spot to hear it right. I was probably standing next to you by Romeo for a while, but I then worked my way to the back of the room, where you could get a perfect stereo image of the sound. It seemed like they had the guitars panned all the way to our left, and the keys to the right.
Andy