Opeth - Deliverance

gaz

Stargazer
Oct 15, 2002
Far Beyond The Galaxy
Visit site
Opeth - Deliverance
2002 - Music For Nations

Opeth need no introduction, they seem to cross through the different genres of metal with ease. Trying to pigeonhole their sound and style seems pointless. However I have thought of them as ‘extreme progressive metal’ ever since I saw those same words on a sticker that adorned the ‘Morningrise’ album a few years ago.

Which brings us to ‘Deliverance’, Opeth’s 6th album overall and the follow up to the mighty ‘Blackwater Park’, which brought the band quite a few new fans and sales were well beyond expectations. Opeth had announced that they were recording 2 albums at the same time, this the first being the more brutal and the latter ('Damnation') on the mellower side. Apparently the band's label, MFN, were non too keen on this idea at the start, but Opeth were determined to go ahead with the ambitious project that they cut a deal, suggesting that these 2 releases only count as one in their contract.

With this in mind, I had expected ‘Deliverance’ to be full on brutal Opeth, ‘My Arms Your Hearse’ style, I was pleasantly surprised to find it’s more of the previous 2 albums, all be it mixed in with some of the abrasive manner of the aforementioned ‘MAYH’. Add this that the influence of Porcupine Tree’s Steve Wilson brings and you have a relatively old dog learning a few new tricks.

Just 6 songs, although 5 are in excess of 10 mins, with only the respite of the instrumental, ‘For Absent Friends’ offering a short interlude between the epic songs.

Opener ‘Wreath’ kicks of with some fierce double bass drums and a very heavy riff, Seven and a half minutes in we even hear some djembe/doumbek (African hand drums), just one of many things that makes and keeps Opeth music so unique and interesting. Towards the end we can hear Wilson’s influence with some harmony vocals.

It’s Mikael Akerfeldt vocals throughout the album that are the biggest revelation for me, his range has improved so greatly that he surely has one the most versatile voices in metal. Whether it be his soft ‘clean’ singing, which has improved greatly or his deep growls, even those have more range, with even some black metal like shrieks thrown in for good measure, here and there.

The title track itself, is 13:35 of pure Opeth, brutal opening that leads into some 70’s Pink Floyd type vibe, with Akerfeldt’s soft voice gently over the top. Alternating between what sounds not unlike some mid’s 70’s Rush guitars.

To my ears at least Porcupine Tree have always been very Pink Floyd influence and it seems that Opeth too are now under that spell, just little things throughout tend to remind me of a certain vibe that Floyd’s early 70’s work had.

The rest of the album holds a few surprises, whether it is the jazzy guitars, or the harmony vocals, it’s the Opeth we know and love with many new elements.

Opeth are not content to repeat themselves, with ‘Blackwater park’ selling four times more than of it’s predecessor, ‘Still Life’, expectations of ‘Deliverance’ are high.

Whether ‘Deliverance’ is any better or worse than any of the bands previous 5 albums, right now I don’t know; Opeth’s music takes many hours to fully digest and even then, there’s more to be found on repeated listening. Let’s just say it's the Opeth we know and love and of a quality that we have come to expect.

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion that Opeth could record an entire album of Mikael Akerfeldt burping the entire Swedish dictionary, and the band's fans would still flock to the shops to get it. Thank God they don't go down that route and instead concentrate on writing fantastic music... I'm off to buy this on Saturday. Can't wait!

imo... so far i think Deliverance has been overated. Actually... i find it hard to get through in one listening.
Some albums i listen to and when it is finished i want to hit the repeat button... not this one.

Yes, the drumming is especially good on this album.
Deliverance is a cracking track, and A Fair Judgement is beautiful.
Love it.
Nice review too.

What a wonderful surprises this was. I'm not a huge opeth fan but this and blackwater park made me one. A must buy in the truest sense of the word. Don't expect this cd to kick you in the balls though. It's just a mellow cd that you can enjoy.

8 out of 10