Opeth Discussion

Opeth is a gateway band by many means. Also, Opeth is "disjointed" by accident (re: poor songwriting skills, primarily on the early albums), not by intention. That said, I still have a certain fondness for bits of the first three albums.

Opeth did a completely non-metal album, so I think an interesting (for them at least) thing to do would be to record an album that is completely metal, with no acoustic bits or clean vocals. I'm kind of bored with Opeth at this point, especially with their newer material.

Disagree with Lateralus.

You don't have to like "disjointed" music to like Opeth.

Opeth actually does have enough Metal elements on most of their albums, to satisfy metalheads.

Opeth is not a "gateway band" by any means.

All I meant by the first comment was that Opeth is often disjointed, and thus you can't enjoy Opeth if that bothers you too damn much. Simple connection imo.

Likewise, I didn't mean that you can't be a metalhead and like Opeth but rather I meant that their appeal is nothing like that of the "pure metal" bands enjoyed by most metalheads like Morbid Angel, Slayer, Bathory, Darkthrone, Candlemass, etc. Also, a lot of Opeth fans aren't metalheads period, whereas a fan of any bands mentioned above is all but guaranteed to be into at least several other metal bands. So there's really no reason to argue that point either.

And they are a gateway band because they are very often one of the first bands involved in new metalheads' discovery of extreme metal.

Obviously Mike has amazing songwriting skills but you could say what he is trying to do is not as cohesive as you would like. I never found them to be disjointed except for a couple of riffs on the first two albums.

A band like Lamb of God or Cradle of Filth is a gateway band... The only thing Opeth have done which was accessible in that sense was "The Grand Conjuration". The last few albums were the only ones which could be considered as gateway material. I have never heard of anyone getting into Extreme Metal with Opeth which is not still a huge Opeth fan though.

labeling opeth as a gateway band is something that without fail tends to go hand in hand with maturation from impressionable layman to experienced listener with a more measured, discerning ear. this board is a prime example; many of us have been through our period of opeth fandom long ago and gradually come to appreciate that they're a rather affected, unstructured, contrived band who have their moments but don't manage much real resonance. it's not a case of people not 'getting' them, it's getting them far too well and understanding their flaws in relation to a lot of other music.

Opeth fanboys just come off as idiots, no matter how good their music is. It just makes me facepalm all the time everytime I read of a post by some fool who claims that their taste in music is deep, and Opeth-h4t3rz are ignorant.

I can tolerate anything up to Blackwater Park and Damnation is a great non-metal record. The Ghost Reveries and Watershed are boring, predictable and alot of the riffs are very directionless. They definitely were a band that got me into the other forms of extreme metal, but like some people have said, listening to their records many many times over and listening and getting into MORE music, you get to know them far too well and understand their flaws. Now, I can't listen to some Opeth songs without having to forward to sections that I enjoy... to be honest I haven't listened to Opeth in a long long time and there's nothing that's pulling me back to listen to their records again.

labeling opeth as a gateway band is something that without fail tends to go hand in hand with maturation from impressionable layman to experienced listener with a more measured, discerning ear. this board is a prime example; many of us have been through our period of opeth fandom long ago and gradually come to appreciate that they're a rather affected, unstructured, contrived band who have their moments but don't manage much real resonance. it's not a case of people not 'getting' them, it's getting them far too well and understanding their flaws in relation to a lot of other music.

Opeth did a completely non-metal album, so I think an interesting (for them at least) thing to do would be to record an album that is completely metal, with no acoustic bits or clean vocals. I'm kind of bored with Opeth at this point, especially with their newer material.

pretty much... i like things they've done here and there but overrall they are really dull.

Don't let my last.fm fool you, I'm not nearly as much of an Opeth fan as I used to be. I still go to their concerts and listen to them every once in awhile. I think most of their stuff is great and I realize the songwriting is a bit eh sometimes, though not nearly as shit as others claim. Sometimes the sudden transitions create a cool effect, like a rapid wakeup from a nightmare. Anyway, after widening my tastes a lot, everything that Opeth does is done better by another band, but not many bands combine all those elements like Opeth does. There definitely not my favorite band anymore, and most of their fanboys are retarded.

I think some people are a bit too anal when it comes to discussing Opeth. Some of these folks can't even stand someone criticising a band like Summoning which isn't nearly as remarkable. lol. Never seen so much fools trying to make definitive claims about a band, based on their own experience.

Lol @ skipping to parts of songs.

I doubt Opeth was THE band that got you into metal.

I actually would have given up bass guitar, were it not for Opeth. Their prominent low-end lines and jazz influences pushed me to better myself.

I doubt Opeth was THE band that got you into metal.

They were THE band that got me into extreme metal. Before my exposure to them, I listened to Lamb of God, Spine Shank and other similarly accessible bands. I dabbled with nu-metal era Obituary, because I could understand the lyrics and they were just neato keen at the time. Opeth got me into death metal and extreme vocal styles.

It's not like I've never talked about Opeth before, what the fuck? I, along with hundreds of other people aged 10-25, bought Blackwater Park between 01-03 because it was an 'extreme' metal album that wasn't very extreme, and was fairly easy to get into.