Opeth Discussion

Mike finally got tired of all the immature little kids as well as trolls - the last incident was the death of a sorta friend of some of the band members and in the post some of the trolls responded w/ like "oh a generic metal bassist is dead, good deal, glad he's dead" kinda thing so after all the emotions there were bans and Mike doesn't want an official forum any more.

Still love this band, won't fellate them but i dig everything they have released besides Orchid.

Mike finally got tired of all the immature little kids as well as trolls - the last incident was the death of a sorta friend of some of the band members and in the post some of the trolls responded w/ like "oh a generic metal bassist is dead, good deal, glad he's dead" kinda thing so after all the emotions there were bans and Mike doesn't want an official forum any more.
Good, glad it's gone but at the same time if it wasn't for the Opeth forum i would have never discovered GMD etc. I stopped posting there years back for obvious reasons.

Yea, the Opeth forum is the first place I went that developed my tastes for metal (I got into extreme metal starting w/ Blackwater Park and at first didn't like most of it). After I got the obvious recs off that forum like Enslaved or Agalloch, I moved here for recs, but still...thats where it started.

This thread makes me laugh, I along with a few of the members here started frequenting the ultimatemetal forums because of the Opeth forum. What pissed me off more than the trolls were the fanboys constantly fellating the band, and what was even worse were the ones who would get a hard-on after Mikael posted. I discovered GMD and found the recs here a little better and less biased, and people a little bit more levelheaded. This was when there were posters like GoD (does he still post here under a different moniker?), so basically w/o the Opeth forum, I wouldn't be listening to most of the music that I do now.

GHOST OF

MOTHER

LINGERING DEEEEEAAAAATH!!!

was the first Opeth song i heard and i'll admit my ass was kicked.
i grew out of them after awhile tho, due mostly to song length and overall wankery.

I bought Blackwater Park after several friends suggested I check them out and I listened to it once and found it boring and somewhat cheesy.

Listen to it ten times, I guarantee you'll think different. No one gets into an Opeth album after one listen, and it's impossible to make a valid statement about an Opeth album after just one listen, which I think too many people try to do.