Orphaned Land - recording ORwarriOR, a diary from the studio

Ko_B: Thank you sooo much for your ultraquick answer! That's very interesting information.

I found out from Facebook that it's Shlomit Levi's birthday today! Everyone can greet her personally: shlolev[removethis]@gmail.com
Her solo CD is going to be like another acoustic ORwarriOR for me - like Kobi's, her voice can take you to heaven (heaven+hell in Kobi's case) ;)

From Century Media and Blabermouth's sites -

Israel's progressive folk metal masters ORPHANED LAND are currently recording the highly anticipated follow-up to 2004's "Mabool". "ORwarriOr" will be mixed by legendary musician/producer Steven Wilson (PORCUPINE TREE, OPETH) and is tentatively due in the fall via Century Media Records.

Commented vocalist Kobi Farhi: "The album is going to be more than 70 minutes long, and, as usual, many traditional instruments and languages will be involved in the process. In my opinion, this is the best ORPHANED LAND album ever! We can't wait for you to put your hands on it and we look forward to tour and meet you all on the road!"

You can read ORPHANED LAND's regularly updated studio diary at this location.

Steven Wilson added: "Finally! I am very happy and look forward to mix ORPHANED LAND's new album. I'm sure this will be one of the greatest and most original albums in the metal scene!"

I salute my orphaned brothers!

It's been for so long time being inactive...hope everyone is doing great and judging from the news i'll sure try to visit more often. I read some really great news, the new album is finally taking shape, it's something that really makes me happy and exited! Well done everybody keeping our OL warriors alive! It's time to get OL back on rails and spread the word around!!!:headbang:

Cheers everyone:kickass:

Thanks for the video, Folklore. Could you please translate the most interesting parts of the interview?
Hm, interesting, Kobi is wearing a t-shirt with Bulgarian flag.
A tattoo on his left hand reads "Your milk is my wine, My silk is your shine" - sounds pretty lyrical. A fragment from Jim Morrison's "Wilderness" series of poems, I guess.

Post.. well they talk about the work in the studio and the help they got from Steven Wilson. The bulgarian flag on Kobi's shirt is one of the symbols of his favourite football team, Macabbi Jaffa. It was founded mostly by jews who came to Israel from Bulgaria.

2009315_1363019790_magber.JPG

2009315_1371318191_IMG_1530.JPG

2009315_1381125765_IMG_1520.JPG

Hey! glad you are all making some serious progress on the album! cannot wait for the new release!

hey Yossi [ or anyone that knows in general ]- i had a specific question about the pictures at the very beginning of the thread - with all the stringed instruments - what is the difference between the two Saz that are pictured? is one electric and the other one standard? or you have them for different tunings? thank you in advance...

Hey! glad you are all making some serious progress on the album! cannot wait for the new release!

hey Yossi [ or anyone that knows in general ]- i had a specific question about the pictures at the very beginning of the thread - with all the stringed instruments - what is the difference between the two Saz that are pictured? is one electric and the other one standard? or you have them for different tunings? thank you in advance...

Hi petya..
definite difference between the sazs is the lenght of the handles where is the notas are located.... the shorter one is called is "çögür" and has more lyric sounds the other is saz in general for Anatolia..
But in generally I have never heard the same sound from the sazs even they have been made in the same way..

meanwhile.. the progress are great.. this will be longest waiting for my life :)
I pray my god to keep OL's productivity in highest level..
GOD bless you brothers..
br

Hello dear friends! I'm writing to you from the Studios, after finishing the electric guitars, leads and solos for the album.

The technical spec of this project is quite cumbersome, yet I will outline some of the main elements -

For the electric guitars we're using a mix of PRS, Gibson, Fender and Ibanez guitars, while the PRS models are the leading guitars for all parts. I personally record all Solos and leads with my Moden Eagle, while most of the album rythms are done using PRS custom 22" models. We also integrate when applicable some Les Paul, Ibanez RG 7 strings and more. For the Clean parts - Some Fender models are used alongside with our PRS's.

All guitars are set-up with ELIXIR strings, allowing us to record long hours and days without worrying of losing the brightness, flexibility and tones of fresh strings.

Each part is recorded twice using 2 different mic / amp setups, with a Dual Mesa Ractifier and a Marshall JCM 900.

All parts and cues are detailed in my Excel spreadsheet on my laptop for proper planning, and also that we won't miss a single note ;-)

To sum up for now, we have lots of surprises for you, cool new instruments (really cool acoustic stuff), new wonderful harmonies with some of our heaviest riffs ever and more.
Stay tuned! :)

2009315_1363019790_magber.JPG

2009315_1371318191_IMG_1530.JPG

2009315_1381125765_IMG_1520.JPG

2009316_220228871_Copy%20of%20img_1537.jpg

2009316_2213518350_Copy%20of%20img_1545.jpg

Toda raba for all this info Yossi! I guess everyone here gets more and more excited, crazy to hear your new masterpieces :)

May I ask some more questions?
1. Will the album feature synagogue (or any other) choir?
2. How many songs will feature [my beloved] voice of Shlomit?
3. Once in an interview (in Moscow) Kobi mentioned Arabian violins on ORwarriOR - will there be the same wonderful violinist as on "Whisper My Name When You Dream" and "The Evil Urge" outro? Will there be an orchestra like on Mabool?
4. Album concept related question - can ORwarriOR can be considered a logical sequence to Mabool? Is warrior of light also derived from Torah stories like Mabool?