OT - Exclusive interview with Anthrax forum member spacebeer

Social Distortion

The Voice of Reason
Sep 10, 2004
Lahti Rock City, Finland
1. How did you find the ultimatemetal.com message board and the Anthrax Section?

Pretty simple, I started looking for the website from one of my favourite bands and the link to the forum was right there. I thought it would be cool to discuss a little so I joined.

2. What are your earliest memories posting here?

I was surprised the board was totally flooded with die hard Bush supporters at the time. For my and almost anybody I know in the metalscene ANTHRAX was always about “Among The Living” or “Spreading The Disease”, that was the era ANTHRAX was relevant. I started reading the forum and IMO there was so much BS going on. If you publicly admitted to being Belladonna fan you got shit allover yourself from the die hard Bush core. Seriously there were like 20 6ers on the forum back then only there was nobody there to tell them to chill. Most people who came here to discuss old school ANTHRAX left pretty soon after their “welcome”. This made me more resilient to stay and heat up the discussions now and then. Led to some pretty stupid shit especially after the first reunion was announced. I am pleased to say thing are a little better now ;-).

3. What made you a fan of metal music in the first place?

Hearing AC/DC, I was never into music at all til I heard Angus tearing it up. I dunno but that band fascinated the hell out of me. I started renting their albums from the public library and recorded them to tape, needless to say I wore those tapes out. After AC/DC, Motorhead, Venom, Black Sabbath and Priest quickly followed. ANTHRAX was also very early on for me since an older brother of a friend owned all their albums. ANTHRAX was so heavy yet accessible, I loved that about the band. They were “thrash” but not as inaccessible as SLAYER or DARK ANGEL. They had the “fun” factor going on yet the music was very serious.

4. You play in a band, would you rather go Metallica-big or Slayer-big?

Who wouldn’t honestly say METALLICA big? Musically I like SLAYER quite a bit more but METALLICA has to be the biggest metalband in the world. I think I would shit my pants if I had to perform in a 50,000 capacity stadium the first time. But I think both bands make a good living, SLAYER is big enough to play good headliner tours and fill 5,000-6,000 capacity places so I wouldn’t mind that either.

5. What would you change about Anthrax if you were Scott or Charlie?

Hard to say, I am probably a very different kind of person than them. They seem to be about progression in their music whereas I am shure that progression does not always mean better music. I am more about loyalty and focusing on my strong points (so definitely less adventurous!). I think that I would try and keep the band stable, no more line up changes! When the band is stable again people will start to take the band serious again. Second I’d try and write the best songs I could for the new album, try and write them in the vein of the old albums but don’t try to copy them. Even for me it’s not 1985 anymore, in some way they have to sound “fresh”, not modern but “fresh”. Record a new album with a fat organic sound unlike most newer Andy Sneap styled productions which IMO sound sterile. I think this is all they have to do to get their popularity on the rise again. ANTHRAX will probably never be “1990” big again, but there is a very legitimate place for them in the current metalscene.

6. When was Anthrax at it's best in your opinion?

For me that would be at the time NFL was released, so in 1987. Just watch the vid and you know what I am talking about. I still think they kicked some ass on the reunion tour too, I saw them 3 times in 2005 and 2006 and it was awesome.

7. Tell us something about your home life (work, school, hobbies, etc...):

I sell lifts and escalators for my work, so I visit architects, building contractors, engineering companies and so on. I do a lot of counseling for those companies too. I studied mechanical engineering and have a bachelors degree in that. I graduated back in 2001. I am a huge metalfan and record/CD collector, I have over 2.000 original CD’s and over 500 records in my collection. I used to go to a lot of record fair and was really into buying first pressings and rare stuff. Apart from that I play in my own band, which is a bit of an SOD styled crossover band. I play bass and sing, if you wanna check it out: www.myspace.com/thrashcorefanatics. I also go to the gym several times a week to stay fit hahaha and I have a fascination for classic cars. I also like collecting high end instruments, I have about 7 custom USA DEAN guitars, 2 Rickenbacker basses a Gibson Thunderbird bass and far too many amps.

8. What are your greatest personal memories of Anthrax?

I have never met any of the members personally. But my greatest memory is probably seeing them in the “classic” line up for the first time. This was something I’d never thought would happen and was a dream come true for me. I saw them about 5 times in the Bush era which was cool but (no offence intended) always made me feel watching a more than decent coverband, especially when even Frank was not in the band anymore. So the first time I saw them in the “classic” line up was total euphoria for me.

9. If you had a chance to play in Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth or Metallica, which one would you choose?

Again, playing in METALLICA would make my life very easy. They earn by far the most money and play the largest places out of the big four. Musically I like ANTHRAX the best, second coming in SLAYER and MEGADETH would be my least favourite though all credits for Mustaine for going strong for so long. I have to say that the METALLICA guys seem very easy going and fun to work with. Scott Ian is probably one of my alltime favourite guitarists though and Charlie is IMO the best drummer in the world for this kinda music, so artistically spoken I might be tempted to choose ANTHRAX.

10. Here's your one chance to tell us why should we listen to your music:

Because it’s not unlike SOD and I know most people here like SOD. We’re metal and we’re hardcore, we sound oldschool but not dated. We play music similar to DRI, SOD, MOD, Excel or even ANTHRAX but we don’t sound like them. Judge it for yourself! We’ll be releasing a full length early next year on Germany’s Witches Brew records but I’ll keep you guys posted on that LOL!

WORD ASSOCIATION:

Black Thirteen
– Scott Ian
Brentney Spears – Webguy?
scottishthrax – Don’t they drink wiskey over there?
Mikey Bong – doesn’t post much anymore.
mrthrax – very cool poster, constructive!
sufferer - doesn’t post much anymore.
eighteeschick - doesn’t post much anymore.
BratPrincess - doesn’t post much anymore.
thraxx – very cool guy.
DarrellDethSDMF – he’s a typical 90’s type of metalhead.
ironmaidenfan09 – he seems to like Joey more than me ;-).
JohnnieCzech – founght out some fights with him in the past but turned out to be a cool guy.
Trashard – how can you go wrong with such a name.
danaholica – seemed to be a strong Bush supporter
Deege – strong Bush supporter, can be annoying at times when reacting to guys like 6er or IMfan09
Matt Bello – doesn’t post much anymore.
DumbAss – cool poster!
Antwax – mostly comes here to bash some thing or another, not much constructive posts as of late.
vomit – cool poster!
whitey131 - strong Bush supporter, can be annoying at times when reacting to guys like 6er or IMfan09
6er – he’s not here anymore, I know he was just as annoying as some Bush supporters were/are.
Mosh pit – Awesome!
Chuck Billy – One of the coolest frontmen in metal.
Al Bundy – he met the ANTHRAX guys.
Mel Gibson – mmm, pretty neutral about him
MILF – could use a few of these

THIS OR THAT:

Scotch or Bourbon
: neither

Homer or Bart: Bart

Nelson or Turbin: Turbin

Text or call: Call

Debate or Friendly discussion: Friendly discussion with room for debate ;-).

Meat or Fish: Meat

Death Metal or Black Metal: Death Metal

Thanks for taking the time to answer! Any final words you would like to leave fellow Anthrax fans?
Yeah let’s try and not make a Joey vs. John debate out of every thread. It has gotten slightly better the last 2 years. I know I was guilty of this myself on some occasions but I tried very hard not to go there anymore. It would make this board a much more enjoyable place to post!

"If you publicly admitted to being Belladonna fan you got shit allover yourself from the die hard Bush core."

Seriously Spacey, you have to be kidding or are just delusional about this. There was no Joey bashing before the reunion thing started and after that, a few newbies come out of the woods claiming that "the Bush lovers should go away". That's why most of the ppl mentioned above left and never came back.

"If you publicly admitted to being Belladonna fan you got shit allover yourself from the die hard Bush core."

Seriously Spacey, you have to be kidding or are just delusional about this. There was no Joey bashing before the reunion thing started and after that, a few newbies come out of the woods claiming that "the Bush lovers should go away". That's why most of the ppl mentioned above left and never came back.

Concur.

I have to say, Spacebeer, in my opinion has redeemed himself recently. He has been forthright about what he says, but does not come off as a prick....he is probably happy about Bella being back, and so what?

The only REAL reason I frequent this board anymore is because of the friends I have made. Anthrax really is hardly relevant in any sense of the meaning at this point.

10. Here's your one chance to tell us why should we listen to your music:

Because it’s not unlike SOD and I know most people here like SOD. We’re metal and we’re hardcore, we sound oldschool but not dated. We play music similar to DRI, SOD, MOD, Excel or even ANTHRAX but we don’t sound like them. Judge it for yourself! We’ll be releasing a full length early next year on Germany’s Witches Brew records but I’ll keep you guys posted on that LOL!

I normally don't post outside of the NFL threads because Anthrax is dead and not too much else really appeals to me here....But I really liked the 5 songs you have posted to your Myspace page! I can hear the influences of all the above mentioned bands and I can go as far as to say I would actually buy your cd (The last one I bought was Soulfly - Omen, I don't throw too much money on cds anymore) Anyway Spacebeer I wish you all the success possible!!

T

i do agree about the joey part when bush was in band,its funny how things turn,i was pretty neutral through the whole thing but i think die hard bush fans were just as bad as die hard bella fans in critizing each other,for instance wh ythe hell would u set up a reuion bashers board,that was so pathetic.

I am in by no means delusional, my perception is definately different than yours. It's just a fact that Bush lovers can be every bit as annoying as Belladonna fans and then some. I just have no desire to get into that discussion anymore, I am 30+ by now and too old for that.

That is because most of the people on this forum were John Bush era fans. Most of the original Anthrax fans gave up on them after the SOWN album tour cycle was over with. I know I did as well. Tried to listen to Stomp and Vol 8 just because it had ANTHRAX on the CD cover. But musically it wasn't the same band. So the majority (NOT ALL) of the old school Anthrax fans were long gone. Then when the reunion tour came along some of the Old school fans like Spacebear and myself got a bit of regained interest in the band, enough to come by here and express how excited we were. But when you came here all you would see is all the little Bush pussies and their stupid signatures saying "Boycott the Reunon" "Bring back Bush" blah blah. It was fuckin ridiculous. But to me I loved it. I love debating people and not going with the flow. So its all good and made it a bit more fun to bitch slap some of the bush babbies on this forum for a while. I also loved watching those same Bush babies cry when Bush declined to come back to the band and Joey was back yet again. Never will I understand how the fuck any old school Anthrax fans could possibly have loved the Stomp, Vol 8, and WCFYA albums more than any of the Joey era material. But I realize most of the JOhn Bush era fans didn't even listen to Anthrax back when Joey was in the band so it makes more sense.

okay done rambling on don't even know what i just said :zzz:

it's true, Oldschool Anthrax fans had a hard time on this board during the Bush-era, it was not fashionable to prefer their old stuff and it was a no-go to even mention the names Belladonna and Spitz in a positive way.

That is because most of the people on this forum were John Bush era fans. Most of the original Anthrax fans gave up on them after the SOWN album tour cycle was over with. I know I did as well. Tried to listen to Stomp and Vol 8 just because it had ANTHRAX on the CD cover. But musically it wasn't the same band. So the majority (NOT ALL) of the old school Anthrax fans were long gone. Then when the reunion tour came along some of the Old school fans like Spacebear and myself got a bit of regained interest in the band, enough to come by here and express how excited we were. But when you came here all you would see is all the little Bush pussies and their stupid signatures saying "Boycott the Reunon" "Bring back Bush" blah blah. It was fuckin ridiculous. But to me I loved it. I love debating people and not going with the flow. So its all good and made it a bit more fun to bitch slap some of the bush babbies on this forum for a while. I also loved watching those same Bush babies cry when Bush declined to come back to the band and Joey was back yet again. Never will I understand how the fuck any old school Anthrax fans could possibly have loved the Stomp, Vol 8, and WCFYA albums more than any of the Joey era material. But I realize most of the JOhn Bush era fans didn't even listen to Anthrax back when Joey was in the band so it makes more sense.

okay done rambling on don't even know what i just said :zzz:

u are pretty outgoing but u are spot on in most cases:cool:

Spacebeer, could you please change your name to Spacebear?

NO!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Read in the morning paper
They're shooting up another satellite
Experiment on the final frontier
To create the ultimate beer
Precious yeast spinning in orbit
Unrestrained gravity fades
Nobody knows what this brew will be
A magic potion? Chemistry?
Everybody loves the new beer
So good you want to drink it day in night
It's better that and Pils, any Ex