Other likes

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
We're all metalheads here but what other music/bands do you like?

Here's the "other stuff" I like--

70's early 80's punk. Mainly NY and LA bands, not much into the English bands. Bands like NY Dolls, Tuff Darts, Ramones, Runaways, X, Geza X.

Late 80's alt/underground scene. Faith No More, Mind Over Four, Jane's, Hammerbox, Mudhoney. However, when the major labels started signing these bands it was all over... about 1991 or so. It got way out of hand after that.

90's Alt Country scene. The Bottle Rockets, Wilco, V-roys, Steve Earle, Jason And The Scorchers.

But my all time favorite band ever... of any genre... is Concrete Blonde. Don't know why but that band really speaks to me. Her lyrics are incredible. Doubt if anyone else around here will like them (or even remember them).

aside from Metal, I'm into the classic rock. Bands like Zeppelin, The Doors, Bob Segar, Foreigner, Elton John etc. One of my favorite songs is "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John. I especially love it in the movie "Almost Famous" when they are all singing that song. I also like Journey and Bad Company.

Now this is my thread! haha Greeno you've been reading my mail and this is my place to throw down! I love ALL music from bluegrass to metal to even hip hop(when it's done right...) Here are a list of a few of my alltime favorites outside the metal world....

JOHNNY CASH - I can't say enough about the new box set, "unearthed". GET IT!
Lyle Lovett
Steve Earl - Amen, brother!
Dwight Yoakam
Social Distortion - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Social D. I met Mike Ness on his solo tour and he signed my "under the influences" disc right on the photo of him looking up from playing pool. Killer!
Eric Clapton/SRV - of course!
THE ROLLING STONES - KEEEEEFF!
and the duke of all that is the lighter side of my very soul
the one
the only
JIMMY BUFFETT!!!!! I am a huge parrothead. Seen him numerous times. Jimmy's a lot like NASCAR in that you have to actually experience it in person to "get it"

Millions more, but these are the top o' uncle ted's heap!

i like old motown and atlantic soul singers-people like aretha franklin and otis reading.i dont listen to it much anymore,but i wont turn the radio off when its on,if you know what i mean.
i loved queen when i was really young,10-11 or so.i pestered my parents to buy me some of thier albums.some of freddy mercurys vocals still blow me away.
hey greeno, whats wrong with british punk?bit to rough n ready for ya?

I'm a huge fan of the following things:

Progressive rock: King Crimson, Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Van Der Graaf Generator, Anglagard

Classic/Hard rock: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd

Alt rock: Fatih no More, Jane's Addiction

Grunge: Alice in Chains, Soundgarden

Difficult to classify stuff: Mr. Bungle, John Zorn, Jeff Buckley

Post punk or Quasi-punk (I don't really like any pure punk): Refused, Fugazi, At the Drive-In/The Mars Volta, Sunny Day Real Estate

Jazz/Rock fusion: The Mahavishnu Orchestra

I'm also a fan of some of those metal bands that went rock like Katatonia (since Tonight's Decision), Anathema (Judgement and Alternative 4), and The Gathering (since How to Measure a Planet?).

70's rock...Zep,Floyd, Allmans,Skynyrd,Eagles, Buffett.......stuff like that
and
Country. Yes....Country. Lots of it.

baldyboy said:
hey greeno, whats wrong with british punk?bit to rough n ready for ya?

Nothing at all wrong with Brit Punk, I do like some of it. Bands like X-Ray Specs, Buzzcozks, The Jam, and so on. I just need to investigate it further, I'll get around to it some day. :)

baldyboy said:
sorry ted,i dont mean to be rude,but who the fuck is jimmy buffet?i've heard of jimmy swaggart,but not jimmy buffet?what kind of stuff does he do?

Jimmy Buffet is a cult thing like the Greatful Dead... (sound nothing alike, just talking about the cult status). People who like him REEEAAALLLY like him. He sings about tropical islands and hamburgers. :) I'm not much for his stuff but I've met some of the most unlikely fans... everything from metalheads to punkers to people who don't like any music but his. Kinda wacky! I take it he's not big over there? Ted can tell you way more about him than me.

x ray specs are a good one.a few friends of mine played for the anti nowhere league recently-they were on the leagues last album-"scum".the league is unfortunatly just the singer these days,no other origional members left.still,woman and so what are good songs.
if you want to hear an updated version of british punk, i would heartily recommend a band callled sick on the bus.i'm not a big brit punk fan-i'm much more for the tuneful american sum41 type punk,but sick on the bus really impressed me.

the whole jimmy buffet thing must be something for your side of the pond.i'm relatively open with my music and i've never heard of him
btw ted,i didnt mean to liken him to that whore porking evangelist swaggart-just the names seemed similar.please dont take offence.

baldyboy said:
whore porking evangelist

Hahahaha... that should be the name of some new extreme metal band!!

LOVE Anti Nowhere League!! Always thought of them as the Brit version of FEAR.

Are you into poppy punk, Baldy? I'm a fan of the Lookout Records type of stuff..... bands like Groovie Ghoulies, Squirtgun, Riverdales and so on. That's they type of stuff I've been playing for the last 6 or 7 years. Just Ramones type stuff. If I ever get this 4-track page done I'll put some of that stuff on it. Plan13 (who's posted here a couple times) sings and plays bass on it.

"WE ARE THE LEAGUE!!!"... Christ that brings back some freaky memories...

For my other than metal tastes....

I adore power pop.. not the Sum 41 / Green Day thing but more like The Posies, The Knack, The Raspberries, etc.

Jazz... Jazz... Jazz!!! Especially bass player oriented jazz. Michael Manring, Rob Wasserman, etc.

Any and all punk... not counting America's top 40 crap that is put out today. Baldy... I'm a huge fan of G.B.H.... and let's not forget Thexploited and Discharge.

And finally... acoustic based stuff... Indigo Girls, Ryan Adams, etc.

Oh wait I forgot the most important... anything 80's based. I'm a huge fan of Adam and The Ants, Bow Wow Wow, Dead Or Alive, etc.

no offense here, my bald friend! Jimmy Buffett. Ah, where do I begin? He's a character, for sure. Not unlike KISS in that he's larger than life. He's more about life than he is music, I suppose. But if you have fond memories of things like your first love (and your first time!) your first drink, your first drunk, your first road trip, your first splurge after coming off a long diet, your first time in jail, your first time with a hangover, and your first smell of the fresh salty air of the beach and the sea, then Jimmy Buffett could very well be the soundtrack to your life. I know I never liked him until I got to be about 27 and had a lot more history behind me that his lyrics tied into....I'll quote a few and see if you think he's reading your mail, Baldy my Boy....

"They send you off to college/try to gain a little knowledge/but all you wanna do is LEARN HOW TO SCORE" from Pencil Thin Mustache

"Barmaid, bring a pitcher, another round of brew/ honey why don't we get drunk and screw" From "Why don't we get drunk..."

"I made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it away so fast" A Pirate Looks at 40

"If We weren't all Crazy we would go insane" - Changes in Lattitudes/Changes In Attitudes

And the gospel of Jimmy BUffett....MARGARITAVILLE! "Wasting away again in margaritaville/searching for my lost shaker of salt/some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know IT'S MY OWN DAMN FAULT!"

Ah, Jimmy.

The musical equivalent to a Calgon bath....take me away.

What about it baldyboy?!?!?! You gotta track him down!
Ted

See what I mean, Baldy! Buffett fans look at it as a way of life.

I mean no offense what so ever Ted, I have a couple of friends who are big into Buffett. I've tried some of his music, just not for me. Not that it's bad but it just doesn't grab me.

I'm with Greeno... I'm not a big Buffet fan, and I'm pretty damn versatile when it comes to music. He just doesn't do anything for me.... and hell, I've even gone to see the guy live ... 2 freakin' times! Great party in the parking lot, margarittas and strawberry daquiris flowing fast and strong, but the music just didn't do much for me. Just my humble opnion Ted, but I do know a lot of people are way into the guy!!!! So it's evidently me that's not getting the big picture here.

AOR mainly. I listen to AOR more than metal, though sleaze/glam/hair metal/hard rock stuff is my favourite.

I also kinda have a thing for some '80s pop hahaha. And of course I love alot of classic rock stuff.

well, not everyone shares in my love of Jimmy. I can live with that. But alas, I shall pour you all something tall and strong, because, hey....

It's five o'clock SOMEWHERE!
sorry....couldn't resist another shameless JB reference