Paths of Possession – The End of the Hour

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Paths of Possession – The End of the Hour
Metal Blade – 3984-14672-2 – October 16, 2007
By Ryan Starr

51%2BZG36boRL._AA240_.jpg

Oh look another melodic death metal band with a vocalist that sounds exactly like Corpsegrinder… oh wait, that IS Corpsegrinder, my bad. Here we have the third full length from Paths of Possession titled The End of the Hour. This album sounds pretty generic, unless you take into account what melodic death metal sounds like nowadays. The riffs are standard American death metal mixed with a Swedish sensibilities which is completely different from what the scene is doing now. There is no whiney singing and no radio friendly choruses. And because melodeath has become so wimpy lately, this album is a breath of fresh air. There are some parts that sound a little out of place, but over all this is a solid release with some great riffs.

Now let’s get to Corpsegrinder. I think he is well suited for about 75% of what this band does. Other times a death metal growl just doesn’t work. And his mid ranged screams leave a bit to be desired. Perhaps a more aggressive scream a la The Haunted would be a better fit. Corpsegrinder just doesn’t sound aggressive enough for the more thrashy parts of the album. It’s a small complaint, but I think it needs to be mentioned. Just because you play a style of death metal, doesn’t mean death metal growls always work.

I think The End of the Hour is a solid record. It brings melodic death metal back to its metal roots, and I hope In Flames and Soilwork are paying attention to this. It’s time to put the death metal back in melodic death metal.

Official Paths of Possession Website
Official Metal Blade Website

This is really bad melo-death, and there are about 500 bands that embarrass this band whose cover arts are better than their music. Check out Holymarsh, Detonation, Intestine Baalism, Kronos...a bunch of melo-death and melodic death kicks the crap out of this weak overhyped shit.