Paul reed smith goes heavy

Do EMG's impart more of a characteristic sound to every guitar they're in compared with passives? I have to say yes, and I think the main reason is because so much of the signal is being supplied by the internal preamp (compensating for the comparatively weak magnets), so my theory is that's the common characteristic people hear. However, anyone who thinks they make all guitars with the same woods sound the same is flat-out wrong (judging by personal experience).

I have an Ibanez JS100 with EMG-81(b) and EMG-85(n) in it. I have an Ibanez RG with the same pickups (81 & 85).

Both guitars have a Basswood body. Both have Original Floyd Rose bridges. Probably a little more mass to the RG than the JS. JS is 22fret, RG is 24. JS has a thick laquer transparent red finish, RG has always had a thinner paint on it.

Of the two, the JS100 sounds much heavier, so I use it more often.

I also have an LTD EC1000 with EMG-81 & EMG-60. I use it quite a bit too (only for tuning reliability, I suppose) and its kinda in between those two guitars, tonally. Heavy enough, but not quite as bold as the JS100.

Point? I kinda doubt the pickups are the biggest factor to it.

argghh I need a PRS, I was about to buy a prs SE but that new one looks awww! No floyd either. Regular PRS are overpriced IMO so I hope I get paid for playing or better forget about it.

I had 81's on my prs ce ( bolt on, mahogany body) and liked the HFS more...sure the emg had more bite and was more...erm "transparent" sounding, but the hfs is meatier and has a lot more low end. Besides, I wouldn't use the prs for detuning much, since mine ends up with flabby tension everytime ( 25" scale, 12-56, drop B).

I wouldn't say emg's on a prs are a wrong move, but if the stock pickups work for you, why change?

Bah I don't know, my buddy got something like 6 guitars with emg's and they totally sound different

yeah man I agree...I have 2 totally different axes with the same setup EMG 85 in the bridge 81 neck...tonally the mahogany bodied Ibanez sounds much better than my 88 ESP Mirage.

anyway they won't release a fixed bridge version. :erk:
Here's the reply form their customer service

Hi Maurizio,

Thank you for writing to Paul Reed Smith Guitars. Currently we have no plans to introduce a fixed bridge version of the Torero model.

Any information regarding current pricing, options and availability of PRS products, parts or custom-built Private Stock guitars, can be obtained from your local PRS dealer. Here is a link to an authorized PRS dealer or distributor in your area: http://www.prsguitars.com/dealer.php

Thank you for your continued support of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. I hope you find this information helpful.

Shawn Nuthall

Paul Reed Smith Guitars

PRS Tech Center Sales Mgr

380 Log Canoe Circle