Pelican

I listened to a Cult of Luna album called Somewhere Along the Highway and i thought it was fucking disgusting...is that the best they can do or do they have better shit?

^ Its definitely their best. I personally think they've always been years behind Isis and Neurosis in terms of creativity, and will probably continue to be. Never understood how people put them over Isis. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them a lot, but its hard for me to compare them to the greats.

Wow, you really disliked it then? Fair enough, not to everyones tastes.. It's one of my favourite albums ever - and for me I prefer Oceanic to any of Cult Of Luna's albums, but i prefer the last 3 CoL albums to the rest of Isis' work.

Not about Neurosis, I know, but the new Neurosis-Given to the Rising is a fuckin' brilliant piece of work. And all the sites I check out, no one has given a response. Absolutely baffling, because it's one of the best so far in 2007. Times of Grace just blows what mind I have left also. So, imo, you have Neurosis=Adriana Lima and the rest are like a fat chick in fishnets. Neurosis set the bar very high in this genre.

Neurosis is better than just about everything out there. Eye of Every Storm > everything else.

I absolutely LOVE Isis but somehow I haven't been able to get into Cult of Luna properly. It just seems like they're doing things that have already been done better. Then again, that's mostly what a lot of music is I guess. I might give them a try again soon though.

Cult of Luna's latest release was solid, but I know what you mean, it all feels very derivative. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Eye of Every Storm is a fucking badass album, probably my favorite out of this subgenre (although I do like Oceanic quite a lot). I'll give the new Neurosis a listen pretty soon.

Cult of Luna are one of my favourite bands, so yeh.. Definitely check them out if you haven't heard them already.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Rosetta
65daysofstatic
Envy - Their last album only - 'insomniac doze'
Red Sparrowes
Mono
Kayo Dot and Maudlin Of The Well
Khoma
Mare
Russian Circles
Sigur Rós
Mogwai
Slowdive
Esmerine
Aerogramme
Do Make Say Think
Vanessa Van Basten
French Teen Idol
Battle Of Mice
The Angellic Process
Boris

I like this list! I had forgotten about alot of these bands. Pelican's a great band. Has anyone mentioned Jesu's self titled album. Now thats sludge, very thick production.
Alot of the bands I was thinking of have already been mentioned but Ill try to list a few more off the top of my head.

Aarni-This bands pretty far out there but they have alot of atmosphere.
As the Poets Affirm- They play really catchy music and have alot of cello work
The Kolios Project- This bands very progressive and technical
When Day Descends- Very filmscore esque
Yob- Try the disk "The Unreal Never Lived". Thier very sludgy and wierd, but it grows on you.

Cult of Luna are one of my favourite bands, so yeh.. Definitely check them out if you haven't heard them already.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Rosetta
65daysofstatic
Envy - Their last album only - 'insomniac doze'
Red Sparrowes
Mono
Kayo Dot and Maudlin Of The Well
Khoma
Mare
Russian Circles
Sigur Rós
Mogwai
Slowdive
Esmerine
Aerogramme
Do Make Say Think
Vanessa Van Basten
French Teen Idol
Battle Of Mice
The Angellic Process
Boris

great list. i have some work ahead of me! thanks to everyone who gave their input, i'll give all of them a listen!