Periphery?

bringmetald7

New Metal Member
Jun 4, 2010
Ok so I am a huge fan of Misha Mansoor and found out he started this band called "Periphery". Just picked up the record. So far I am digging it. 72 minutes long too.

Here is the video of one of their new singles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard tons of people loving this. Need to check it out closer myself. From this new and upcoming "progressive\industrial\mathcore" mixture scene. Djent rules, so im checking this out...

Fuck i love how people instantly say it sounds like meshuggah when a band plays low and has some odd time signatures.

Obviously because i think its funny. I think anyone who has listened to more than 10 minutes worth of meshuggah would know they are in a league of their own.

And thus no-one is able to be influenced by them or use aspects of their sound in any way? :err:

And thus no-one is able to be influenced by them or use aspects of their sound in any way? :err:

This is what i wrote- Fuck i love how people instantly say it sounds like meshuggah when a band plays low and has some odd time signatures.

How did you possibly come to the conclusion that i was saying no-one can be influenced by meshuggah's sound. I was simply saying that people toss around the 'Meshuggah influence' a bit too much when there is low tunings and odd timings or polyrythms. Eg- Periphery.

If you want to try and read into it more and try and pull apart what i say i will simplify it even more for you. Periphery sound nothing like meshuggah, just because their is some odd time signatures and low tuned guitars, doesnt make them comparable to the almighty meshuggah.

well periphery are quite obviously trying to get a meshuggah-like groove down with that opening riff, but it isn't nearly as interesting or appealing.

song isn't doing a lot for me, i've never been a fan of the djent stuff though

I have the album, and can honestly say the meshuggah style grooves are minimal. There is much more metalcore and experimental stuff going on.

It's Meshuggah worship that's been bastardized with boring drumming and whiny vocals. I really have no interest in this surge of "djent" music, and I don't understand the "math" label attached to it, because these bands aren't doing anything complex. Meshuggah themselves get more credit than they deserve, but their music is at least interesting.