Pestilence - Resurrection Macabre

prayfordarkness

Sent from the Golden Hall
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary
www.facebook.com
200px-

Ok, so I've had the new Pestilence cd "Resurrection Macabre" for about 2 weeks now, a "Limited Edition" version which contains 3 old songs re-recorded as bonus tracks.

I'm not planning to write a huge, in-depth review here, just give some of my thoughts on this new disc from one of my all-time favorite bands.

Pestilence is a legendary band, without a doubt. The albums Consuming Impulse, Testimony of the Ancients, and Spheres were all extremely important recordings for death-metal, and are still referred to as such. Spheres received a lot of critical praise, but the general Metal population seemed to have mixed feelings about it, due to the very pronounced toning down of the aggression in favor of a much jazzier, progressive sound not unlike what Cynic was doing at the time with their album Focus.
Personally, I loved Spheres, and I'm still a huge fan of all things Pestilence, which is why I greeted this album with both excitement and fear. New Pestilence is a very exciting thought, but, it's been a long time... what if it sucks, and does nothing but tarnish their hallowed name?

After digesting this disc for a couple weeks now, I'm VERY happy to say that the Pestilence name remains intact. It's a great album, and I'm enjoying it more with each listen. Singer/songwriter Patrick Mameli may look different than he used to, but this recording is pure, classic Pestilence. The voice is more gutteral, but the riffs and song structures exhibit the easily recognizable Pestilence sound. This album is by no means ground-breaking in any way, but it doesn't really have to be. It perfectly fuses the three previously mentioned albums into an unrelenting beast. It has the aggression of Consuming Impulse, about the same amount of technicality as Testimony..., and the heavily jazz-influenced solos of Spheres. Very brutal. Very nice.

I have to say that drummer Peter Wildoer of Darkane turns in an outstanding performance here, which really lends a lot to the disc's high level of intensity. A solid production care of Hansen Studios helps the cause, as well.

My only (small) disappointment came at the end of the disc, with the bonus tracks. It's one song from each of the first three albums, in the form of Chemo Therapy, Out of the Body, and Lost Souls. Patrick's voice is noticeably different for these tracks, and although the sound and performance is good, there have been a few structural changes, I guess to update the sound of these songs. However, I just feel like these tracks have lost some of their original ("personal") energy in the process.

Overall though, I think Resurrection Macabre stands up well against not only Pestilence's considerable past, but also against today's best Death-Metal offerings.
Alright, I've written much more here than I had originally planned, so here's what I've getting at...
Go buy the new Pestilence!

optionthree... You're in Calgary? Cool, good to meet you man!

IntoPhagist... Yeah, it's definately not as technical as one might expect... I tried real hard to NOT get too excited for this album, simply because you never know what to expect with these guys, and I've done what you did before, too. When you're constantly thinking about how amazing an album's going to be, it rarely lives up to your expectations when you finally hear it.

I'm still really enjoying the album, and I'm even getting into the re-recorded tracks a bit more now too. I just REALLY miss the one riff that they pulled from Out Of The Body! Otherwise I'd be fine with it...