Pics of fake amp stacks

if you never saw nine inch nails live... i'm sorry

0715livenineinchnails1m.jpg

I like Tool stage setup:
I agree. As soon as I can afford fifty stage hands per city and and 6 tractor trailers I'll do that.:D
Seriously though, I don't have any problem with dummy cabs, and I don't really see why the giant-stack-of-cabs size banner that goes exactly where the cabs would have gone is any better.
Honestly, at least half of the point these things is to take up space on stage and create places for stage hands to hide/work. Obviously if you can afford tons of movers and/or video projection you have a better way to use the visual space.

Too bad Bullet isn't metal...

On another note, I thought Petrucci didn't use any of his backline thats on stage? I know at least on the Six Degrees and TOT tours, he had a dummy backline on stage and then he was using a pair of miced 2x12s or something that were behind the fake backline (or somewhere else towards the back/sides of the stage), as his actual rig.

On another note, I thought Petrucci didn't use any of his backline thats on stage? I know at least on the Six Degrees and TOT tours, he had a dummy backline on stage and then he was using a pair of miced 2x12s or something that were behind the fake backline (or somewhere else towards the back/sides of the stage), as his actual rig.
..... Then what would you call them?

For what i know petrucci did use all his Backline, at least till ToT tour.
Scenes From a memory was a stero left/right-wet and dry-middle setup, and ToT was a stereo setup with 2 4x12 mesa traditional for lead/rythm and a stereo clean setup with the 2x12 cabinets that were sitting on top of the 4x12. Dunno about 6 degrees though. I think Octavarium and Systematic Chaos were the same Setup ToT was, but i don't remember exactly. Could be that he used 2 extra dummy cabs for the Octavarium artwork that was on his cabs.

P.S.: for Tot i know exactly because it's on the Live at budokan extras.

FACT - Petrucci didn't use any of his backline thats on stage? I know at least on the Six Degrees and TOT tours, he had a dummy backline on stage and then he was using a pair of miced 2x12s or something that were behind the fake backline (or somewhere else towards the back/sides of the stage), as his actual rig.

Fixed

Petrucchi has a dual rig backstage that is Isolated from the stage. The backline you see on stage is all dummy cabs and heads. He uses a Roadking for dirty and lead sounds with the AxeFX for effects into Mesa OS cabs with v30s. He uses Mark series amps for cleans into a 4x10 basket weave cabs. Its all miced backstage.

Hes been using dummy cabs and amps on stage since the Metro 2k tour with his real rig backstage. At least thats the story from his tech. This is also only when they headline. When they are on festivals they usually only bring whats needed for the show unless of course they are the Main stage headliner.

Rumor also has it he will be going to the AxeFX for everything in the near future.

15 or so years ago I had a part-time summer job that involved having a security pass for the Arts Center outdoor concert pavilion in Holmdel, New Jersey. The work I did was before and after the concerts, which I would often stick around for and sometimes go backstage using my pass-that-was-not-meant-for-that-purpose-but-few-people-questioned. :lol:

In addition to running into Steve Miller (literally; like knocking him over) and Warren Haynes' fiance giving me beers from his personal cooler stash, I got to watch part of a Def Leppard show from the side-stage soundboard. They had no cabs or even monitors on stage at all. Their guitar and bass amps were heads and rack gear running into hardware speaker emulators running into the side board running into wireless in-ear monitors. Standing where I was, just barely offstage, all you could hear was their voices singing, shoes shuffling, and drumsticks thudding on d-pads. The crew members were whispering to each other. Fucking creepy. o_O

Fixed

Petrucchi has a dual rig backstage that is Isolated from the stage. The backline you see on stage is all dummy cabs and heads. He uses a Roadking for dirty and lead sounds with the AxeFX for effects into Mesa OS cabs with v30s. He uses Mark series amps for cleans into a 4x10 basket weave cabs. Its all miced backstage.

Hes been using dummy cabs and amps on stage since the Metro 2k tour with his real rig backstage. At least thats the story from his tech. This is also only when they headline. When they are on festivals they usually only bring whats needed for the show unless of course they are the Main stage headliner.

Rumor also has it he will be going to the AxeFX for everything in the near future.

What you smokin bro? That may be the case for the latest tour, but for every latest tour cycle he always pops up with a rig tour and year after year you seem to notice that he says his amps got to the cabinets on stage and well, most if not all the cabs are mic'd. Again I don't know anything about this current cycle, but in terms of the systematic tour and the tour between 6 degrees and octavarium:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQEG1HqCrnE&feature=related[/ame]

In the video from the GW dvd his guitar tech mentioned that previously they had tried to use isolation cabs but both mark and john hated it so they went back. There are also situation where his cabs never see the stage if it is a small stage or they aren't headlining.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me a 'show' is the crowd, the fact the music is being played live and by the seat of the bands collective pants - a spontaneous and energetic burst of creativity.

That's just how I prefer my live experiences.

Thats fine, but i really dont get how that goes in to saying that a band is selling out because they are putting on a good show for their fans?

haha, I'm surprised how upset you guys are getting about this. Complain all you like, it's just another visual que used to help push the show across. You don't have to like it, the crowd generally does. it looks cool and even if it only adds 2% extra coolness to the night, it's still that bit extra. So yeah, don't complain, heaps of bands do things for the visuals and really serve no purpose other than that. I don't think it's a bad thing, just another way of adding more to the show. And you can argue that it doesn't for chances are, for as many that don't think it does anything, there re as many being impressed by it :)

Well it's obvious you have to get fake stacks n cabs if you wanna stay true metal and your real setup looks like this:
epicgear2.jpg

That is my old amp (Gave it to Lasse) and it can be heard on Alestorm - Terror on the High seas just before the second verse starts.