Power Metal

ShadowOfDeath

Warrior of Black Metal
Sep 20, 2003
New Hampshire
firec0re.net
Can i get recommended some good power metal?

Perhaps folkish stuff like the first Elvenking album and Falconer. Hell even throw in some stuff like the first hammerfall and lost horizon albums. I don't care much for cheesy lyrics in power metal either. Just not gay shit like Manowar. Don't recommend blind guardian or helloween sounding stuff. I don't like either band after trying to listen to 3 blind guardian albums and 2 helloween albums. No offense to those bands and i know i'll get shit from power metallers for saying i don't like those bands but i just can't get into their stuff.

First of all, I am going to reccomend Blind Guardian & Helloween to you, lol. I can understand you not liking them if you didnt listen to the right albums. Certain blind guardian and helloween albums grow on you after you get into certain other albums. If you havent listened to the following albums... give them a shot, if you still dont like them, no big deal.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side (best BG album, maybe even best power metal album, flawless)

Helloween - Master Of The Rings

Ok try those albums and give the bands one last chance. If you havent heard them, and you like them the others will gorw on you. Trust me. Ok and now for the power list

Angel Dust
Ark
Demons & Wizards
Dream Evil
Edguy
Elvenking (folk/power)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth (anything before The Glorious Burder... before Ripper Ownes ruined IE)
Kamelot
Lost Horizon
Masterplan ( http://www.master-plan.net - there are a few bands with this name... This is the one with Jorn Lande on vocals. One of the best power metal bands EVER.)
Mercury Tide
Odyssey (dan swano project, only 1 EP out. Not really "power metal" but its close enough, awsome stuff)
Secret Sphere
Skyclad (folk metal!)
Sonata Arctica (listen to "silence". the other album kinda sucks)
Symphony X
Symphorce
Tarot (power/thrash - marco from nightwish on bass & vocals)
Thunderstone

Running Wild - anything from Death or Glory up to The Rivalry.
Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame, their heaviest and best, and in ways most diverse. March of the Swordmaster, the title track, and the last epic song are reasons enough on their own to have it.
Tad Morose - anything from Undead up
Theocracy - s/t (sort of sounds like a little Helloween mixed with a little Savatage mixed with something else)

5thSeason said:
First of all, I am going to reccomend Blind Guardian & Helloween to you, lol. I can understand you not liking them if you didnt listen to the right albums. Certain blind guardian and helloween albums grow on you after you get into certain other albums. If you havent listened to the following albums... give them a shot, if you still dont like them, no big deal.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side (best BG album, maybe even best power metal album, flawless)

Helloween - Master Of The Rings

Ok try those albums and give the bands one last chance. If you havent heard them, and you like them the others will gorw on you. Trust me. Ok and now for the power list

Angel Dust
Ark
Demons & Wizards
Dream Evil
Edguy
Elvenking (folk/power)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth (anything before The Glorious Burder... before Ripper Ownes ruined IE)
Kamelot
Lost Horizon
Masterplan ( http://www.master-plan.net - there are a few bands with this name... This is the one with Jorn Lande on vocals. One of the best power metal bands EVER.)
Mercury Tide
Odyssey (dan swano project, only 1 EP out. Not really "power metal" but its close enough, awsome stuff)
Secret Sphere
Skyclad (folk metal!)
Sonata Arctica (listen to "silence". the other album kinda sucks)
Symphony X
Symphorce
Tarot (power/thrash - marco from nightwish on bass & vocals)
Thunderstone

The blind guardian i've heard is Nightfall in middle-earth, which i thought would be cool since i'm into fantasy/tolkein stuff. It was a bit dissapointed. And their first album which was okay, just not the type of stuff i'm into.

Helloween was keeper of the seven keys. Didn't like it much either

I got some Demons & Wizards i haven't listened to.

Elvenking is a brilliant band. Heathenreel is probably my favorite power metal album. I have to play Wyrd more before seeing if it's really all that great. At first i didn't like it as much

Hammerfall, Iced Earth, and Lost Horizon, all great. Period. Even glorious burden is a good album i think. I'm not sure if you're american or into history. I know a lot of europeans didn't like it as much because Iced Earth is basically on about more american history.

Symphony X are good. Vocals aren't at heart with me but the playing is very good. That's the only reason i can really listen to them

As for the others you mentioned i'll have to listen to them.

ShadowOfDeath said:
The blind guardian i've heard is Nightfall in middle-earth, which i thought would be cool since i'm into fantasy/tolkein stuff. It was a bit dissapointed. And their first album which was okay, just not the type of stuff i'm into.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if you're american or into history. I know a lot of europeans didn't like it as much because Iced Earth is basically on about more american history.

1.) give Blind Guardian 1 more chance. Listen to "Imaginations From The Other Side" its an amazing album. I didnt like Nightfall much at first either, even tho ive been a huge tolkein fan since i was a kid. It grew on my (along with all the other albums) after listening to Imagination. At least check out that one album.

2.) Yes im an american... a very pro-america american, and yes i love history (im actually in college right now to become a history teacher, hehe). Iced Earth isnt really all about american history and stuff, only the new album. The other albums were about things that had to do with horror movies, serial killers, that kinda thing. The Glorious Burden was all about world history (specifically war history), not just america. It was a great concept for an album but I have been a huge IE fan for a long long time, and with Matt Barlow gone, its just not the same. Ripper Owens isnt even in the same league with Barlow when it comes to vocals.

If Barlow had done the vocals for The Glorious Burden I would have loved the album, but in my opinion Ripper sucks, and ruined that album. The only highlight was the bonus disc that came with the limited edition containing the 30 min Gettysburg epic. I fucking love that whole thing, amazing, even with ripper. I think I enjoyed that the most because I live about 15 mins from Philadelphia, and im really close to Gettysburg. That, and like i said, im a big history fan so it was really cool.

Oh and i forgot to add something to my list...

LEPRECHAUN!!

This is a new band started by the original Elvenking vocalist. He left after Heathenreel, and started Leprechaun. The album hasnt come out yet, but there is a full song (and 2 clips) u can DL on the website... its fucking awsome.

www.leprechaun.it

media -> mp3's

enjoy!

5thSeason said:
Oh and i forgot to add something to my list...

LEPRECHAUN!!

This is a new band started by the original Elvenking vocalist. He left after Heathenreel, and started Leprechaun. The album hasnt come out yet, but there is a full song (and 2 clips) u can DL on the website... its fucking awsome.

www.leprechaun.it

media -> mp3's

enjoy!

heh, thanks man. Kickass.

of course im going to recomend Heavenly - Dust to Dust

5thSeason said:
1.) give Blind Guardian 1 more chance. Listen to "Imaginations From The Other Side" its an amazing album. I didnt like Nightfall much at first either, even tho ive been a huge tolkein fan since i was a kid. It grew on my (along with all the other albums) after listening to Imagination. At least check out that one album.

2.) Yes im an american... a very pro-america american, and yes i love history (im actually in college right now to become a history teacher, hehe). Iced Earth isnt really all about american history and stuff, only the new album. The other albums were about things that had to do with horror movies, serial killers, that kinda thing. The Glorious Burden was all about world history (specifically war history), not just america. It was a great concept for an album but I have been a huge IE fan for a long long time, and with Matt Barlow gone, its just not the same. Ripper Owens isnt even in the same league with Barlow when it comes to vocals.

If Barlow had done the vocals for The Glorious Burden I would have loved the album, but in my opinion Ripper sucks, and ruined that album. The only highlight was the bonus disc that came with the limited edition containing the 30 min Gettysburg epic. I fucking love that whole thing, amazing, even with ripper. I think I enjoyed that the most because I live about 15 mins from Philadelphia, and im really close to Gettysburg. That, and like i said, im a big history fan so it was really cool.

1) I'll try that album. I was recommended nightfall and tolkein's books are really good so i was interested in checking it out. Still wasn't really a huge thing for me.

2) That's cool. I was only into iced earth a small bit when owens joined the band. The glorious burden was actually my first full Iced Earth album. Actually to be honest i'm really new to power metal as a whole. Sure i heard stuff like Nocturnals Rites, Iced Earth, Nightwish, and Blind Guardian but i never was that into the genre until i went on a kazaa downloading binge and somehow ended up downloading a hammerfall song. I was going to delete it but decided to listen to it anyways. I fell in love with it and a bunch of other hammerfall songs (Hammerfall, Glory to the brave, renegade, at the end of the rainbow, etc. Wasn't ever a huge fan of their new album) so as shocking as it seems i have 2 Iced Earth albums, 3 Hammerfall Albums, Both elvenking albums(i prefer Heathenreel, that things a masterpiece), The first two falconer albums, and a few other albums people recommended me and a nightwish album. Heh you can say i'm a bit embaressed because i sound like i just discovered metal. I've been into metal for 2-3 years(which for my age is a surprise) so just getting into most these bands is very sad. Oh well i'm getting way off topic. heh. Anyways yeah it was my first full iced earth album and that's why i love it more then the people who have been into Iced Earth since Barlow was in the band.

To respond to your next post: I was checking out Leprechaun last night, i really liked it. I want to get the ultimate dance demo but i dunno how to get it. Through the bands store? (if they have one, i only went to the mp3 section of the site) or even download it off soulseek or something?

the Leprechaun promo isnt out yet. My friend is actually designing the album layout for it, and maybe the first full length album as well. He is going to get a few copies of the promo, so ill be sure to rip it and send you the mp3s. I dont think the promo is ever going to be for sale, only for record companies and radio stations and stuff.

I can't believe you just dissed Manowar. I shouldn't even recommend anything to you.. but I guess I will anyway.

Avantasia
Blind Guardian (you don't like power metal if you don't like this band, i'm sorry)
Demons & Wizards (Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth on Guitar/Bass and Hansi Kürsch from Blind Guardian on Vocals)
Dragonforce
Dragonheart
Dream Evil
Edguy
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall (sorta like Manowar, but Manowar does it better)
Iced Earth
Manowar (damnit, I say again you cannot hate them)
Nightwish
Sonata Arctica (brilliant band)
Stratovarius
Symphony X

Sinergy
King Diamond (power?)
Mercyful Fate (""?)
Symphony X
Rhapsody
Angra
Demons & Wizards
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Edguy
Avantasia
Helloween
Hammerfall
Manowar
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Iron Maiden
Angel Dust
Evergrey
Dragonforce
Dragonland
Jag Panzer
Nevermore
Savatage

5thSeason said:
yes, it rules. I just found out that Damnagoras is mailing a copy of the ultimate dance promo to me, and one to my friend! weeeee! Ill share it with anyone who wants it.

Leprechaun is really something, can't wait till they get the stuff released.

I'll check itout. Do you have soulseek? I don't get DC++ and don't own WinMX but if you use WinMX would you allow me to dl it from you or something? You said you were sharing so i assumed you meant ripping it to your computer for p2p or such?