Practice Time 04 - LIKE MOTH TO FLAMES - Di files inside

Hi, here's my version and also my first post here on UMF: :hotjump:

I'll appreciate any input on this as I'm getting ready to produce my band's second album and any advices on mixing/mastering/production would be thankfully received.

Thanks mates.

Here's also an .mp3 file if you wish to download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kghrn4cmwl7y35r/lmtf-02.mp3

Hi Projectrigger, and welcome to UMF!

What did you use for the guitars? Reamp Vst ?? Sounds great

There is some bass drops that doesn't fit into the mix, when bass drops are sounding it lows the volume in the Low End range and sounds weird, all the rest sounds balanced and punchy to me. Greetings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Projectrigger, and welcome to UMF!

What did you use for the guitars? Reamp Vst ?? Sounds great

There is some bass drops that doesn't fit into the mix, when bass drops are sounding it lows the volume in the Low End range and sounds weird, all the rest sounds balanced and punchy to me. Greetings!

Hey Icem4n, thanks so much for your reply!

The guitars are VST:
TSE 808 - TSE X50 - Recabinet --> for the left ones
TSE 808 - Nick Crow 8505 Lead - Recabinet --> on the right
with different settings for each track and post-eq to taste :)

Yes you are right about the bassdrops .. towards the end of the mixing stage I thought it might be a good idea to use these but I didn't do to much of adjusting, just put in there some samples .. the drop in volume is caused by the compression on the master bus .. anyway I'll try to post a new fixed version.

pls guys what do you think about mine ? its couple of posts up top

Hey phoenix18, I think your mix is great, sounds solid .. maybe could you share what drums or other signal chains did you used? Thanks!

Hey phoenix18, I think your mix is great, sounds solid .. maybe could you share what drums or other signal chains did you used? Thanks!

Combined Steven slate Platinum, Superior drummer (metal foundry) and some Joey Sturgis stuff. Used Waves plugins exclusively with saturation and console emulation on several drum mix buses.

Sounds very balanced, guitars are a little over-trebled over the mix IMO, bass and drums sounds very good together.

Thanks for the kind words, agree guitars are over-trebled over the mix but this happened during "mastering". I just put limiter and raised to heaven and it kinda fucked up my mix a little. But yeah, snare could use couple of db-s down on guitar bus just to sit more nicely.

Anyway you get very good guitar sound. What did you use ?

Straight up POD farm 2 with usual low/high pass filtering and couple of surgical notches in uper mids to counter fizzyness. Also some small guitar bus tweaks but nothing too radical. I actually own axe fx ultra but for this kind of metal/hardcore i wouldnt use pretty much anything except pod farm since the sound of cali diamond plate is a staple of genre (rise records, -insert any modern mosh metalcore overproduced band etc).

NEW EVH 5150 III 50W BRUTALITY!!! (maybe)

NOTE: This is recorded on the Red Hi-Gain Channel at 0.5 out of 10 (Volume), close to conversation level!!!

Now with more sizzle and BRUTALITY!!! :kickass:

100% Dustcap LOVE o_O

DOWNLOAD IT!!!:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24344836/Icem4n - Moths GuitarHack Dustcap.mp3

This amp is HEAVY. This is with the Gain on 3 out of 10!

?

Sounds REALLY good. Just at 0.5 vol ???? Amazing

It has presence as it was recorded with the 100w version at 7 vol in a studio :rofl: :headbang:

What mic did you use SM57 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds REALLY good. Just at 0.5 vol ???? Amazing

It has presence as it was recorded with the 100w version at 7 vol in a studio :rofl: :headbang:

What mic did you use SM57 ?

Yeah, just 1 57 100% on the dustcap angled slightly down to remove a little hiss.

Your BRUTAL playing helps achieve this sound. Well done again. :headbang:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Like%20Moth%20to%20Flames%20mix%202.mp3?w=AAC8lXaAwUmu7vA_fNH2lKRbvHLkhk3V3rhv_bkTMJpl-Q
My go at it, first time I post here so don't expect much lol :p

Guitars are done with Amplitube, drums with EZDrummer (DKFH)
Went for a guitar tone with quite a lot of gain, cut away a lot of treble because I couldn't get the high end right for the guitar.

Bass is multitracked, one clean bassy track, one gritty mid track.

I know I overdid the bassdrops but I can't seem to get them right in the mix, any tips for that?
By the way thanks for posting this, learned a lot from it.
Cheers!