Practicing mic placement

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I've had a Marshall 2x12 sitting here for a few months and finally got around to mic'ing her up with my Mesa Mark IV last night just to fool around.

At first, I tried using the amp's "hiss" to find a mic placement, since I've never done that before. After fiddling around with placement and EQ for a bit, I settled on something, tracked a few guitars, listened back and realized I was getting some nasty upper mid freq's. Mind you - my room is pretty much 100% untreated and the cab is facing straight towards a wall that is about 8 feet away.

I'm normally an amp-sim guy just because I love being able to just plug in and go when trying to capture new ideas. But I've realized that the real amp/cab/mic is just the way to go.

I found the high end to be insanely different.....I'd normally LP down to 9k on an ampsim and not hear too much effect, but with the live amp, I could hear the "air" being removed way sooner at like 12-14k.

I guess this post isn't really anything important or have much meaning other than me discussing my observations, but it was sort of a stepping stone for me and felt the need to post about it.