alright newb ?

Jan 29, 2010
ct,usa
I cant get the right set up to record, 100 watt amp, 4x12 cab sm57,58,e609, any of them into garageband with proper levels, it either way low or clipping hard, I gotta be on 3 with amp to get the proper tone ya know! so looking for mic placement suggestions or garageband set up? thx oh line 6 ux2 interface, with the pod shit too...if needed..

haha, yeah they dont seemto do much... I realize Im trying to record a loudass amp here but alot of people do properly so...

doesn't matter your amp volume, your interface if it has a preamp is going to have an input sensitivity (gain) control on it. If you use it correctly (or if its shit which i doubt) the volume that is given to the digital converters will not cause them to clip but will be plenty loud enough, regardless of the volume of your amp.

So I hold to what Loren said, your doing it wrong.

Set your gain levels to around seven, and the output to 0. While strumming the guitar openly, slowly bring up the output pot.
Make sure you're metering PRE-FADER so you're not digitally clipping on the way into the system.

If you're using a POD - then you'll either have too much gain ('distortion') or a much higher output than required.

[btw - I'll just add that most people in this topic are "doing it wrong". It's you're, as in you are, not your.]