problem with 5150 mkI

Aug 30, 2003
Säffle, Sweden
www.draconian.se
I can't get a any good tone out my 5150. I just bought it and I wonder if there's something wrong with the tubes? The volume increases from time to time when I play and as I said there's no good tone at all, the distortion tone is just a big long fizzzzz!!!!! I've tried all different setting and none work as I want. It only sounds good if I put the pre gain very low (1) and use another distortion pedal but the sound level problem is still there. And it's not an electrical problem I've cheched....

so can anyone help me?????

A good quote I heard here is that "a 5150 doesn't always sound that great when you play through it alone, but when you use it to record it slides into the mix perfectly."

If it sounds really as bad as you're claiming, then take it back.

Well volume increasing is a problem about poweramp tubes, and the fact that your tone lacks of low end is still a problem about poweramp tubes too.
You can try replacing with a new matched quartet of 6L6's, if you use peavey tubes would be better.
5150 is fixed bias, so peavey ones are set to the their standard, andy's one got svetlana, you can try even with JJ (very warm) or Electro Harmonix.
If this doesn't solve your problem take the amp to a tech, let him check it for ya

Maurizio

p.s. always try before you buy

Herman_theGerman said:
I can't get a any good tone out my 5150. I just bought it and I wonder if there's something wrong with the tubes? The volume increases from time to time when I play and as I said there's no good tone at all, the distortion tone is just a big long fizzzzz!!!!! I've tried all different setting and none work as I want. It only sounds good if I put the pre gain very low (1) and use another distortion pedal but the sound level problem is still there. And it's not an electrical problem I've cheched....

so can anyone help me?????

Something sounds wrong, when I bought my 5150 I went ahead and replaced all the tubes so I would know how much use the tubes have had on them. Also maybe have a tech look at the amp, apparently the screen grid resisters go out somewhat often.

i have 2 5150 and i have never had a problem like yours, i use the gain in 6 and is ok also then highs in 5 mids on 4 lows 6, resonance in 5 presence 5 as someone wrote before sounds like tubes problem, also the bottom end depends on the cab that you are using try a 5150 cab or a marshal 1960 and see the diference.
i use one of my 5150 with 2 cabs one 5150 and the other a Crate cab and love the sound!!!!