Problems with Nut cut too shallow??

Pablo333

Jan 13, 2009
Hi dudes,

On my Ibanez PGM 301, i've noticed that when playing in Drop D, the first fret
F power chord on the low E and A strings seems neever to be 100% in tune, Its really hard to tell but i do notice it on playback.

Now, the intonation on the gtr is fine, however could the Nut be causing this??
I've read that it could be caused by it being too shallow, (which compared to my other Gtrs it does seem shallow)

How would i get this fixed? Im not messing with it myself, will get it done in a Store if needed.

For nut work I'd definitely say take it to a tech, but I can't quite see why nut height would affect intonation (just action/string height). Worth a try though!

If the nut is too high, it would cause you to have to push the string down harder to hit the first couple frets, making them go sharp, while the rest of the neck is pretty well in tune.

So yeah, it could be an improperly cut nut.

And for what it's worth - you can check the depth pretty easily. Fret the string on the far side of the 2nd fret (finger between 2 and 3), and look at the clearance over the 1st fret. It shouldn't be touching, but it should only be a few thousandths. If you could fit more than a business card in there, chances are it's too high.