Production that's so bad that it's good

mutantllama

Nov 24, 2005
Maine
You know what I'm talking about, those albums that just wouldn't be the same. I have a feeling this thread has been done, but whatever, don't feel like searching.

http://zackforreal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Adramelch-Irae-Melanox.jpg
First album that comes to mind, it adds to the dark atmosphere and it sounds like it came from the middle ages.

the_Red_in_the_Sky_is_Ours.jpg

blahblahblah people say it's flat but I think it adds to the depressing dreary feel the album has.

Any Columbian brutal death metal. Carnivore Diprosopus, whatever. It just sounds really raw and primitive and fits the barbaric music.

The Chasm's early stuff has a kinda thin, dull sound that to me makes it sound more underworld-y.

Absu's early stuff also has a thin guitar tone and loud drums, giving it a medieval atmosphere.

One could name a shitload of black metal (Paysage D'Hiver, etc.) but I think we should stay away from that since its too obvious.

I would highlight diSEMBOWELMENT's production on Trancendence into the peripheral, sounds like it was recorded from a great distance away in some cave !
I also like the production on Carcass - Reek of Putrefacation & Sarcofago - I.N.R.I and Beherit - The oath of black blood. As ' poor' as some people consider the production on those albums if changed they would lose some of their appeal.
Also love the production on Portal's Swarth

Watchtower's Energetic Disassembly and Megadeth's Kimby have the perfect production to me, although most people don't like it. Wiry-thin guitars, loud bass guitar, toms and vocals reverbed to ridiculous levels, simply perfect.

EDIT: Oh, and although Adramelch's Irae Melanox doesn't quite have all of that, the MIDI-sounding guitar tone is eargasmic.

The two big ones for me would be:

Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon The Impure

Probably a predictable one but.....Deathcrush by Mayhem. I love hearing those shitty drums that sound like someone hitting carboard boxes.