programming drum tracks newbie question

daver

Dec 19, 2003
Bristol
Hi all,

Was wondering if you could give me some advice. I use a pro tool le (digi 002, pro tools 6) setup to record demos, both for myself and other bands. Everything i've done drum-wise is with mics, i have no midi / sequencing / programming experience.

I'm currently putting down some new riff ideas and want a quick way to lay down some example drums tracks for our drummer. What's my best way forward? Is it something like dfhs, or some other midi 'thing' ;-) The easy the better, but with enough control to get the patterns I want.

The drums will be as a guide, whilst they won't ever be used as anything other than a tool in songwriting, would prefer it not too 'drum machine' sounding, any input would be much apprectiated!

Thanks

I've always done mine in the Piano Roll view with a fair amount of cut&paste, but it can be slow going and a bit of a pig generally.

What I've tried to do is collect some decent patterns together that I import in and use. I tend to scavenge drum tab sites for decent fills and stuff.

I'm thinking of getting Drumkit From Hell soon, as at the moment all I've got is an OKish Soundfont (On of the Sonic Implants Blue Jay sets).

Muttley

daver said:
Hi all,

Was wondering if you could give me some advice. I use a pro tool le (digi 002, pro tools 6) setup to record demos, both for myself and other bands. Everything i've done drum-wise is with mics, i have no midi / sequencing / programming experience.

I'm currently putting down some new riff ideas and want a quick way to lay down some example drums tracks for our drummer. What's my best way forward? Is it something like dfhs, or some other midi 'thing' ;-) The easy the better, but with enough control to get the patterns I want.

The drums will be as a guide, whilst they won't ever be used as anything other than a tool in songwriting, would prefer it not too 'drum machine' sounding, any input would be much apprectiated!

Thanks

I've had a boss drum machine forever now and while it does sound like a drum machine, it OWNS as far as song writing. And it's real easy to use after a few hours of playing around with, you'll be writing sweet beats in no time.

I remember a user of this forum posting like 10 wave files with patterns that he recorded. I know this isn´t what you´re asking but it´s cool nonetheless. If you have a big mail account i can send it to you.

Im a fruity loops lover the Demo version is prfect for getting ideas. i use some ass kickin sound fontsi found at the Hammersound website.

When it comes to recording i import andys samples into NI Battery and progrm the drums from the piano roll. usually ill export the "DEMO" frums from fruity and use them as a guide in the piano roll.

Da Fukn Guru

i used to program drums with reason until i started using dfh2 with logic, i like to use the piano roll for both. althogh logics is way cooler for working with velocities. i used to program drums with cubase back in the day with battery, that was fine as well. and then back in my industrial metal days, before i had a pc, i would use an akai mpc2000. now that thing was pretty badass at the time.

guitarguru777 said:
Back on those days i was using a Korg M1 Workstation....lol

Da Fukn Guru
P.S. Is it just me or have every "METAL" guy done the Industrial thing at one point ...lol
alot of guys i know have anyways. hah. it was a nice phase. yea programming had a whole different meaning back then before softsynths and shit, and i was too dumb to understand sequencing my hardware with a pc back then. but yea, so much easier now.

Genius Gone Insane said:
I've had a boss drum machine forever now and while it does sound like a drum machine, it OWNS as far as song writing. And it's real easy to use after a few hours of playing around with, you'll be writing sweet beats in no time.

is that one of the dr rhythms? think this is a route i may go down, i like the idea of having pads to get something down quickly, been having a dig around, the yamaha dd55 looks interesting...

_RiseInside_ said:
I remember a user of this forum posting like 10 wave files with patterns that he recorded. I know this isn´t what you´re asking but it´s cool nonetheless. If you have a big mail account i can send it to you.

that'd be cool, thanks, email in my profile should handle it, nice one!

Having and actual drum machine does speed up the process. If you do get one make sure it does have mid in and outs. If it does you can just import the midi from the machine into your DAW and then use any drum sounds you like. I used to do this with an old zoom drum machine i had amd my old sr-16

Da Fukn Guru

I use Zoom Rhythm trak!
I used to use the 123 (old model) and I since april upgraded to a 223 model.
If you know to play real drums a little bit, with a little bit of patience you can create good patterns that don't sound like static rigid drum machine patterns.

I alwas tend to un quantize some of the drums when i write patterns. Delaying them by milliseconds, makes a difference. Things like remembering to not play the highhat or ride on cymbal crashes. Flams on the snare, really add to the "REAL" drummer feel. also on each channel of my drums i add bleed into the other tracks at a low level to mimic Overheads and bleed from other drums into each ones mic. This takes time and patience but in the end i feel ot really pays off. A small hint of room reverb helps too.

Da Fukn Guru

I usually write songs in GP4, so I already have my drum-tracks as midi. I know there are drum-machines, where you can import midi-tracks. anyone knows of a good, but inexpensive drum-machine with this possibility?
something that I can use for demo-recording.

DEADHEART said:
check this out http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/Double_Bass_Mania.html

I have a real hard time writng drum parts with a drum machine and had this recommended to me. It's got like 1000 double bass and metal beats, fills, and samples and is only $30. I have not bought it yet because I don't have the slightist idea on how to use it. Any opinions on it?
those are audio loops... might be a bit more useful if they included midi files for all the patterns.

James Murphy said:
those are audio loops... might be a bit more useful if they included midi files for all the patterns.
Wow am I really green about this kind of stuff, gotta start some where I guess. ok James, so that means it has different drum beats but you can't replace the individual sounds? just kind of a cut and paste the stuff you want to use? That would be ok, I just need something to speed up the writing process, most of my time is spent on the guitar riffs and vocals, programming a drum machine usually takes me hours and that is for simple stuff. Any suggestions???

Hexer said:
I usually write songs in GP4, so I already have my drum-tracks as midi. I know there are drum-machines, where you can import midi-tracks. anyone knows of a good, but inexpensive drum-machine with this possibility?
something that I can use for demo-recording.

Zoom Rythmtrack 123 or 234 easy to use and has the option. Plus it has some decent bass sound.

Da Fukn Guru