PT user's: somes newby questions...

Mikaël-ange

Nov 7, 2008
Hi guy's, I have somes really newby questions PT releated (and probably some upcomming questions I will post here on future).

First, let's talk about your routing workflow and automation:

Any way to avoid routing your drum group to an aux track (drum comp), and automating this aux track for have your drum bus automation post comp?
It's the only way I see (with my limited PT knowedge) for have automation post comp.
Wanted to use VCA for that but automating before a comp isn't the same.

How do you have your routing set (aux for drum bus, bass bus...etc or internal busing)?

How do you using your VCA tracks?

Thanks

TBH. I've never used VCA tracks.
I just Have all my Tracks, Then Master fader, then my aux's as follow's.

Drums
Spank (parallel comp group)
Bass
Guitars
Reverbs
Delays

(vocals are on the left of the master fader for me)

All my automation for drums at least is done on the tracks themselves. Never automate the Main Drum Bus, Just ride everything else going into it.
bass and guitars I tend to do a little on individual tracks and on the Bus itself.

But thats just my workflow.

Same here

TBH. I've never used VCA tracks.
I just Have all my Tracks, Then Master fader, then my aux's as follow's.

Drums
Spank (parallel comp group)
Bass
Guitars
Reverbs
Delays

(vocals are on the left of the master fader for me)

All my automation for drums at least is done on the tracks themselves. Never automate the Main Drum Bus, Just ride everything else going into it.
bass and guitars I tend to do a little on individual tracks and on the Bus itself.

But thats just my workflow.

I have an other question:

How you guys do this:

For example I recorded the first riff and I have to record the next riff. I wanna hear the last part of my first riff recorded and I wanna also play over that riff, hearing what I'm doing so that I can continue "naturally" the riff when I arrive at the punch in point.

Can't hear what I playing before punch in point in auto imput, and can't hear playback before punch in point in imput only.

Any special routing or workflow for achieve this?

Can't believe nobody have answers! With all PT9 user's (an people fapping about it).

But it's probably because I'm not asking for more ssl, tact or magic presets /SSD kick 10...
So forget this thread and go back to your previous occupation... I will ask real user's (and not virtual user's)...
Lasse: you can close this thread

I have an other question:

How you guys do this:

Can't hear what I playing before punch in point in auto imput, and can't hear playback before punch in point in imput only.

Any special routing or workflow for achieve this?

Other than a new track or using an interfaces own routing thing...
Nope.

Can't believe nobody have answers! With all PT9 user's (an people fapping about it).

But it's probably because I'm not asking for more ssl, tact or magic presets /SSD kick 10...
So forget this thread and go back to your previous occupation... I will ask real user's (and not virtual user's)...
Lasse: you can close this thread

Clearly it's someone's time of the month.

If you want to hear the old riff and play over it then just use 2 tracks. It's not hard. You could have one track for keepers and one track for recording onto, so once you have a good take you pull it up to the "keepers" track and continue recording on the other track.

Or you can use pre-roll. I usually do this when im recording myself. You put 2 bars in the pre-roll and place the "starter" where you want to start to record, it will play 2 bars before and start recording where you want

That will either let you hear the old take or hear what you're playing (depending on if you're in input monitoring only or auto input monitoring), not both.

To clarify, I use preroll or quick punch but I normally make the record active (even tho in quick punch you have been recording since you pressed play) bc it allows the guitarist to feel the tone before it matters. This gives you a lot more options to find the best heal point.

To clarify, I use preroll or quick punch but I normally make the record active (even tho in quick punch you have been recording since you pressed play) bc it allows the guitarist to feel the tone before it matters. This gives you a lot more options to find the best heal point.

Need to try that, thanks.