Question about the stair taping this year

Kaosaur

Apr 8, 2006
Bluffton, SC
What kind of tape was used? Was it just plain masking tape (and in some places duct tape)?

When it went totally black, I couldn't see anything this time around. I didn't fall and break my neck this year (didn't hear of anyone else either) so I guess it might not be a big deal but I did slip on a step or two in the total darkness.

I would suggest ordering some glow in the dark tape for the stairs (as opposed to the retroreflective stuff) next time around. I think < $200 worth of rolls should cover all of the sets of stairs (heck, I guess I could help do it next year. If you do the corners and center, about 2-3' of tape per stair would be ideal I think.)

It's sort of a big expense...and if this was the tape used this year I guess I'll just shut up now...but otherwise I'd be interested to know.

I am beyond grateful for the tape that is on the stairs now. That, and a helping hand down them. Thank you again to those that have worked so hard on trying to improve the situation for us. :headbang:

I can't help actually help tape the stairs due to health reasons, but I'll gladly donate money for any supplies that are needed in the future.

I am beyond grateful for the tape that is on the stairs now.

Absolutely! Between the stair tape and the mini-flashlight that I brought, I made it through the weekend unscathed...although I *almost* bit it once on Thursday night. After that, I gave my total focus to walking when I was on the stairs, instead of looking around the venue to see who I recognized. ("Step. Step. Step. Step...") :lol:

I noticed on Saturday that some of the stairs seemed to have greenish, maybe glow-in-the-dark tape added over the masking (?) tape. I kinda wondered when (and if) "we" had taped them.

To be honest, I don't understand why Center Stage has never had floor lights put in along those stairs. You can get them on a cable and they're pretty cheap...

I guess I'm spoiled in New York because that sort of thing is required by safety codes.

My suggestion is to bring a mini sized flashlight next year. I think that is what I am going to do. They sell some that even go on key rings. The way I see it is that you aren't going to bother anyone shining the light at the floor. Glenn really doesn't have anything to do with the venue, he simply rents it. I do wish they would light the stairs, but people have been complaining for years, so it doesn't look like it will happen.

Bryant

overall i did think it helped alot, if you just stop moving til some lights come back you will be ok

with that said, i did fall on some guy sitting down; needless to say, he wasnt very thrilled

You'd think after all these years I'd learn that the second to last step is "long" and not just missing it's tape. I, more often than not, expect to step down again and get buckle-knees. Thankfully I only stumble instead of fall. Would it be possible to put a long piece of tape down the length of the odd-sized steps in addition to marking the edges? like | | | --| | | Next year, I'll volunteer for the taping crew, because I am more than thankful for this every year!

A flashlight is a great idea assuming you have a hand free.